Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie, Sleeved on 4/13. When can I smoke?

Hello there,

This site is awesome, I was 485 when I started my pre-op diet. Was 451 the day of surgery 4/13 and I am 419 today. Doing good, I have not thrown up once, I can drink way more than 4oz of fluids an hour. I have by mistake 2 times ate more than 4oz of food, very slowly though. here is my question and please not looking to be bashed,

When can I smoke? I am not talking ci's I am talking about Mary Jane, do not want to do it daily, but do want to know when I can have few hits off a joint. Please let me know what you guys think , and any personal expereince with smoking anything after surgery. Thank you.

smoking mary jane makes you munch.. are you willing to munch all day without realizing that you are muching.. I am not to make you feel uneasy but what is wrong with just not smoking it and being healthy??

i would say NEVER. i am not being a prude or anything, but smoke of any type is an irritant and i would not suggest that you do that to yourself. it can cause problems. is it worth it?

Kelly

My friend did about 2 weeks after her surgery. She was still having nausea and it did help with that. Not an endorsement, just saying.

I'm sure good ol MJ didn't help you keep your weight down at all...why would you invite her back into your life knowing that she makes you want to eat...and eat junk at that (I was the go getter in highschool...I'd take the orders and the money and get people's crazy cravings and not one person ever ordered up carrot sticks!)

Smoking regardless of what you're smoking, it impedes healing. I'm not saying never because I know this topic has come up on here, and there are some pretty avid smokies out there, I personally wouldn't introduce it until you get close to goal.

It promotes eating, and lounging. 2 of the reasons we got fat.

I am a real campaigner about quitting smoking of any kind. I have lost 2 brother-in-laws to it. One died at 37 after having a leg cut off and then his genitals. The other died last fall at 66, but he had had the veins in his legs stripped, carotid artery stripped, and 2 quadruple bypasses. He was the only one in the family at a normal weight, so it had to be the smoking. Do everything you can to quit!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've gone this far without it...why go back.???? And there are other meds you can take for nausea. You had this surgery to get HEALTHY!!

Thank you for the responses. here is a little describ about me,

I have no nausea at all.

I have been a heavy smoker for YEARS,,, and I quit for the surgery yes but had and HAVE no plans on quitting permanently. I quit cigarettes over 6 years ago and that was a great decision. As for MJ I was smoking before surgery about 6-10 times a day. I work from home so basically was baked up. I had an extreme tolerance level, so it was a 10-30 min "feeling" at max. Now I know most people will not believe this but I do not suffer from Munchies at all. I actually would smoke all day without even eating and then eat a big unhealthy dinner, this is how i got so big, well plus no exercise .

I have given up coffee (3 cups a day), my Bacardi, and MJ cold turkey before the surgery, this mixed in with the new eating is a bit much for me. I need something back, Now I do not plan of going back to MJ as heavy as I was but would like a little here and there,

Thank you for the input again, I am most worried about the healing, not the munchies I have no appetite anymore and have to remember to eat during the day,, It is amazing actually.

so aside from munchies, and laziness. are there Medical risks to a pull or two lets say once a day or few times a week? Thanks guys. and girls.

Also when can I drink Decaf?

Mike,

Making the choice to get healthy is a life changing thing. Yes your weight was out of control, which is what lead you to choose a Sleeve. You probably had some co-morbidities as well. When I read your justification for choosing to smoke MJ again (and yes that is what it was a justification) I was struck by the glaring evidence that you very likely have an addictive personality. People who are easily addicted to substances to stimulate their feel good responses in the brain and are heavy users of the substances weather that be alcohol, drugs, weed, cigs, or food. The good news is you can change what you are addicted to. You have already chosen to stop the addiction to food. You can choose to stop the addiction to substances that have a negative influence in your life (MJ is illegal, you risk being arrested, losing your job, not to mention you freely admit that life before the sleeve was spent completely baked on a daily basis) My suggestion is instead of focusing on things you want back from your old life, you focus on all of the awesome things that you have to look forward to in your new HEALTHY life.

With peaceful and hopeful thoughts for continued healing and good health

Apple

I would wait at least until your healed...so the 3 month mark. I quit 2 weeks before surgery...wine, caffeine, mj, etc. It's been 6 weeks and I honestly don't miss it anymore, I feel great every morning when I wake up and I'm filling my time being super productive, plus learning all new coping skills. I'm just going to re-evaluate in another 6 weeks and in the meantime, stay the course.

Not sure about the MJ, but I drink normal coffee, have since four days post-op. No problems with it personally, and it's allowed on my program. Can you not ask your doctor about the MJ thing? I would ask my dr about it, without hesitation. Drs are meant to give non-judgmental advice from a medical perspective, not be the drug police, yes?

Mike,

Making the choice to get healthy is a life changing thing. Yes your weight was out of control, which is what lead you to choose a Sleeve. You probably had some co-morbidities as well. When I read your justification for choosing to smoke MJ again (and yes that is what it was a justification) I was struck by the glaring evidence that you very likely have an addictive personality. People who are easily addicted to substances to stimulate their feel good responses in the brain and are heavy users of the substances weather that be alcohol, drugs, weed, cigs, or food. The good news is you can change what you are addicted to. You have already chosen to stop the addiction to food. You can choose to stop the addiction to substances that have a negative influence in your life (MJ is illegal, you risk being arrested, losing your job, not to mention you freely admit that life before the sleeve was spent completely baked on a daily basis) My suggestion is instead of focusing on things you want back from your old life, you focus on all of the awesome things that you have to look forward to in your new HEALTHY life.

With peaceful and hopeful thoughts for continued healing and good health

Apple

All true, what you said is on point. But I LOVE MJ and have for almost 20 years I will not quit cause I do not want to., no excuses as to why needed. I do have an addictive personality but my will power is INCREDIBLE I quit drinking, smoking, eating crazy, all in one day cold turkey for pre-op . NOBODY could believe it, I will be drinking occasionally again but not how I used to, the smoking will always be a part of me.

I own my own business, so risk of job loss

I will never be arrested as I am never in a situation where that could happen.

When I said baked it was just terminology, Even the best MJ does not bake me or dumb me out...

So all I want to know is of the healing process really. The rest i can manage on my own, but REALLY do appreciate the love and concern, and again you are ON POINT!!

Not sure about the MJ, but I drink normal coffee, have since four days post-op. No problems with it personally, and it's allowed on my program. Can you not ask your doctor about the MJ thing? I would ask my dr about it, without hesitation. Drs are meant to give non-judgmental advice from a medical perspective, not be the drug police, yes?

They told me to stay away from caffeine, for ever! I am going to call the Doctor now, but when I asked the doc's assistant she was like NEVER smoke again, and would not budge from there, I need to konw about coffee though.. LOL How many ounces do you drink per cup?