Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My heart it broken! Went for my pre-surgery testing today. The hospitalist says my red blood cell count is 7 (1/2 what it should be) and my blood sugar is very low too. My April 19th surgery date is canceled. I cried and cried and thought I was going to lose my mind. I finally got thru the hurdle of insurance approval so I thought I was good to go. This is a devastating blow for me. I have worked my whole life around planning this surgery. I have bought all my post-op foods and supplements and planned every last detail about how I was going to make this work. Doctor would not even discuss rescheduling until they figure out what is wrong which is good but I feel like I have been shot in the heart right now. SO disappointed! :(

I am so sorry ... but, don't give up hope. Talk with your surgeon and find out what you can do to improve your test results. Develop a plan and get a new surgery date.

I know it's devestating, but you need to go into surgery with the best health possible. Those results could have been devastating if you'd had surgery without them knowing about these conditions.

Chin up ... it's delayed, not over! {{{ HUGS }}}

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! I don't know what to say. Except that if there is something going on, please let your dr. properly diagnose and treat whatever is wrong. You don't want to have surgery and then end up with a major complication because your dr. didn't thoroughly check you out. I'm sure this feels like the end of the world, and I hope you are still able to have surgery...maybe just not on the time table you had planned on. HUGS!

I am so sorry to hear that. I know that you're disappointed, but it seems to me that you really need to know what's going on with your health. You do not want to make matters worse. It will all work out and I will keep you in prayer. Delayed but not denied.

Thanks everyone for the support! Trying hard to keep my chin up. Will start anew tomorrow with my Iron pills and make my appointments for further testing. Kinda wishing I could go to bed and wake up to find it was a bad dream!

ASB, I'm sorry its cancelled but once you figure out what is going on and get it fixed you can reschedule. Good luck to you!

Girl, dont give up!! I'm sure once they retest you again in a few weeks you'll be good to go!! I'm with Mommy... let the doctor take care of what's wrong NOW so you can have a speedy recovery! Last thing you want is to go under the knife and not wake up!! So, please, be thankful they found out early!!!!

Oh man, I feel for you. I had my surgery cancelled on the day of surgery. I was in a gown and everything. I was very upset too. I had made plans with work and had time off and I couldn't help but feel that my whole life had been turned upside down. I came on here and vented and made myself stay positive. I am getting it done next week now. All I can say to you is stay positive! and perhaps you dodged a bullet. Let them have you evaluated for your low blood count. As a nurse that is a very low number that many doctors would have people transfused for. Iron pills will help. Stay hydrated. Let us know how you do!

Oh man, I feel for you. I had my surgery cancelled on the day of surgery. I was in a gown and everything. I was very upset too. I had made plans with work and had time off and I couldn't help but feel that my whole life had been turned upside down. I came on here and vented and made myself stay positive. I am getting it done next week now. All I can say to you is stay positive! and perhaps you dodged a bullet. Let them have you evaluated for your low blood count. As a nurse that is a very low number that many doctors would have people transfused for. Iron pills will help. Stay hydrated. Let us know how you do!

That's just completely shitty, I'm sorry. Is it your Iron count? I have low iron all the time because I have very heavy periods and I'm always bleeding. It may not be serious. Maybe if this is also the case with you you could explain this patiently to your doctor.

Iron levels take about a month to bring up if you're religious about taking your pills. I never do because they make me incredibly sick. However *if* the problem is iron anemia and it's because of the problem mentioned above, go to Whole Foods and get a tincture of Shepherds Purse which slows bleeding to a normal level over time so your levels don't get so. Also you can go and get another blood test in a week and call your doc --

http://www.personalabs.com/panels.aspx?PanelID=417&PanelGroupID=4#Remark_121679

It's 130 dollars to do this and they have places all over the country.

So sorry to hear that! Don't get yourself down about it though. Just like everyone said, it's just postponed, not cancelled forever.

Do you still get your period? Mine were making me anemic. I had to eventually get a hysterectomy and then my my numbers doubled. That's kinda drastic, but I was just thinking of things that might be making your counts so low.

Try not to worry about it. It will happen for you! Now, you're already prepared with all your post-op drinks, etc.

Good luck to you!

{{BIG HUGS}} Chin up, you will get a new date.

My heart it broken! Went for my pre-surgery testing today. The hospitalist says my red blood cell count is 7 (1/2 what it should be) and my blood sugar is very low too. My April 19th surgery date is canceled. I cried and cried and thought I was going to lose my mind. I finally got thru the hurdle of insurance approval so I thought I was good to go. This is a devastating blow for me. I have worked my whole life around planning this surgery. I have bought all my post-op foods and supplements and planned every last detail about how I was going to make this work. Doctor would not even discuss rescheduling until they figure out what is wrong which is good but I feel like I have been shot in the heart right now. SO disappointed! :(

That's just completely shitty, I'm sorry. Is it your Iron count? I have low Iron all the time because I have very heavy periods and I'm always bleeding. It may not be serious. Maybe if this is also the case with you you could explain this patiently to your doctor.

Iron levels take about a month to bring up if you're religious about taking your pills. I never do because they make me incredibly sick. However *if* the problem is iron anemia and it's because of the problem mentioned above, go to Whole Foods and get a tincture of Shepherds Purse which slows bleeding to a normal level over time so your levels don't get so. Also you can go and get another blood test in a week and call your doc --

http://www.personala...4#Remark_121679

It's 130 dollars to do this and they have places all over the country.

Yes it is my iron count. I think it is from heavy menstrual bleeding. I am going to OBGYN to try to get an IUD. I wanted to get one anyway and my sister said she NEVER even has a period at all once she got hers. If I can get the bleeding to slow down or stop plus I am taking my iron pills hopefully I can reschedule sooner than later. I just did not think having low iron was that serious of a thing but I guess it must be.

I am trying so hard to just take actions to get myself better now instead of dwelling on how broken my heart is right now that I was supposed to have surgery in 14 days and now I am not. But taking the emotion out of it is hard for me. I go from being pissed to being sad to being thankful that they caught it before surgery. I don't know just a mix of emotions plus I am so drained and tired anyway. Going to take it easy for a few days and hope the iron pills start kicking in. :blink:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!