Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pounds to Drop a Clothing Size

I am a solid 307 lbs, 24w, and stand a solid 6 feet tall without shoes. I know we all lose weight differently and our clothes sizes will drop with different weight loss amounts. But I tried on a pair of capris from last year and even after a 30 pound loss during pre-op, they still fit like they did last summer.

So my question is what is the most you have to lose before you see a difference in clothing sizes?

I have found that the larger I get, the more weight exists between sizes.

So, at 5'10" myself, and about 300lbs, I'm snug in size 24. I will be able to fit into 22s again when I'm 270ish, and then 20s when I'm 240ish, and just STARTING into 18s when I'm 230 (which is as low as I've ever gotten in my adult life).

That being said, I have a pair of 22 dress slacks that I got at 260 that are just now starting to get the slightest bit snug at 300. It depends on the cut of the pants and the material.

You also have to contend with the fact that a lot of women aren't the same size throughout. My pants are often a size bigger than my shirts because I have a BIG behind.

I too was stuck for quite a while, the fat around my waist was one of the last to start moving, but once it did I've dropped from a TIGHT 52 to a right fit 40.

Perhaps your the same and have what the call "stubborn belly fat".

There's not really a set weight between the sizes, especially as sizes after 12 tend to really vary between vendors. (Plus even within a vendor, depending on a specific cut, you may fit a different size.) Size is also more determined by specific measurements of specific areas. If you are losing the weight all over, but you are a larger size to begin with, it will take longer to hit the specific measurements for the next smaller size.

Also, my doctor has said that women of African descent tend to not lose in the hips and thighs as uniformly or as quickly as women of other races (the same can apply to people of Native American descent like myself but it is not as common). So you might see the size going down in tops more quickly than in pants... it just depends on how you lose weight.

Remember, it doesn't matter what size you wear as long as you feel good in the clothing.

The heavier you are, the more weight it takes to downsize. It took me probably 40 lbs. before I went down a size in the beginning... now it takes about 10 lbs.

The heavier you are, the more weight it takes to downsize. It took me probably 40 lbs. before I went down a size in the beginning... now it takes about 10 lbs.

I have to echo what others have said about the bigger you are the more weight there is between sizes. I know I lose from the ends in, meaning my hands and feet first and then the stomach, butt and hips last (of course), so it can take a good 40 lbs to change sizes.

I started at 330 size 26 now after 2 months I've lost over 40 lbs and I'm a size 22. Currently I'm at 287 pounds and wearing things I havent been able to for a long time.

Great question....i agree with everyone. My mom gave me a size 18 dress she ordered which was too big for her...cant wait to fit it this summer!

Same here. When I started out at 321 pounds it took a good 40-50 pounds before I HAD to but some clothes. Also, it took 50 pounds before peeps even notice I was losing weight. Now that I weight 180 pounds it takes about 10 pounds before I drop a size.

Deb B)

When I was thin, I could lose a size in 5-10 pounds, but it's more like 20 pounds in the larger sizes for me.

I have lost weight mostly through my middle and stomach so far, also in my butt and thighs (which were not even a real trouble spot, sigh -- on my way to a flat ass I'm sure). I have a feeling my big fat arms that still look like hams are going to hang on for dear bloodly life. Hmph. <_<

Almost 30 pounds down and I am still wearing the 24s but looks like from most people's replies, I have 10-20 pounds more before I see a difference. So basically, I may only drop a size every 3 months if I lose 10 pounds a month? God, this is really gonna be a long ride. I thought I could at least be a size 18 by the end of summer :(

What a great question and one that I am afraid I have no answer for... I, too, don't understand! Over the last two plus mths, I haven't lost a pound... in fact I have been bouncing up and down three pounds... anyway, I bought some new trousers and I bought a size smaller... no sense! I also measured myself and no inches difference in a month!

Something is happening but not sure what? Weight muscle ratio changing?

I agree with the others, it is more about how you feel than what size ... hang in there and then you will see the changes!

Looks like we are about at the same place. I have lost 32 lbs pre-op so far. I am just now getting to where my 24's are a little loose. However, I joke that the 32 lbs was lost between my shoulders and belt line. I have noticed a significant difference in my tops.

I understand the frustration though. I just had to postpone my surgery two weeks because of travel for work. Now I have to wait until May 9th. Ugghhhh!!

I think a big thing also is how someone carries their weight too! I enjoyed everyones responses because I am this very same boat as well. When I started My jeans are a size 24 and Im still wearing them BUT I have one pair I havent worn in over a year because I couldnt come close to closing them and now I wear them and they are VERY baggy all except the button which fits normal not too tight and not loose! My regular jeans are so saggy and baggy in the legs, butt and underbelly yet the buttons are normal so that part of my stomach is being stubborn although I know Im loosing because its baggy and they are not snug at all... But I look horrible, I mean my pants sag yet the button part is normal If the button would go down I could go down a size, but untill then I guess I wait :)