Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. Here is my questions...

I am not nearly ready for a drink but do wonder WHAT to drink when I am. Yes I am thinking way ahead I know. Here is my thing... I love Rita's but I am sure the sugar content in them will be terrible for sleevers. Beer you are not supposed to have because of the bubbles or something?? Mixed drinks with juice have sugar in them too. What is safe to drink that wont send you into dumping syndrome?

Thanks for any advice yall have!! I just want to make sure that I dont do anything that will cause me to have any problems down the road.

I stick to white wines. Red wines are too acidic and I was warned to steer clear of them. Vodka mixed with crystal light seems to be a big one that a bunch of WLS patients rely on. They get vodka/water, and then mix in a crystal light to packet. I hate vodka so I never drank it.

Once I was below goal, and in maintenance, I've been drinking soda for over a year without issue or change in my sleeve capacity. When I go out drinking, I drink mixed drinks and shots. My tolerance is just the same as it was pre-op. Early out, 1 glass of wine hit me hard and fast, but now I can have several rum/cokes and shots without getting totally drunk. I have drank several glasses of wine in one night and had zero issues. Never get a hangover, just tank up on Water before heading to bed. I've never dumped on anything. I had similar symptoms to dumping when I was having gallbladder attacks, but definitely have zero issues with mixed drinks, even uber fruity cocktails give me zero issues.

I think the reason a lot of people complain that their tolerance isn't what it once was is really quite simple to explain. If you go a long time without drinking any alcohol, your body loses its built up abilities to process it. Therefore, your tolerance can go down. With practice, you should be able to get back to "normal".

I have a family reunion this summer and you'd better believe that I'll be putting back a Blue Moon or two in order to not kill anyone.

I have yet one more theory on tolerance, You have very little food in your stomach AND the liquids slide right through and hit you hard and fast.

Yet more wise advice:

Vodka, whisky, gin, grappa, cognac, rum or any other distilled alcohol, with no sugar added (all turned into alcohol) have zero carbohydrates.

Beer has lots and so does wine (red more than white, but still a lot.) A good rule-of-thumb is anything even slightly sugary or malty has carbs. Alcohol is sugar in another form (better, I'd say) and not a calorie is lost. You still get the energy. But no carbs, natch. The carbs have all been magically turned into booze.

However, they severely delay weight loss. I guess they keep the liver too busy. All those "empty calories" must bounce about a lot. Atkins died before he'd come to a conclusion on the matter, though I remember him recommending a glass of vodka rather than beer, wine or, supreme sin, fruit juice.

But booze not only delays fat loss; it withholds Water and puffs you up.

Distilled alcohol is still a miracle little understood and appreciated. ;)

so, i started drinking again about 3 weeks after my surgery. wine is a good drink to start back with. it will help you to gauge how you do with it. some people get wasted really easy. i like to think that i dont but i do feel one glass of alcohol, where i barely felt it before. i am a margarita lover as well, so i will give you my homemade recipe. you might want to cut everything in half:

3 limes

2 shots or 1 large shot of tequila

1 shot or 1/2 large shot of triple sec

it has WAY less calories than the mixes in bars and besides, it tastes WAY better!!

If I had two shots of tequila now I swear I would be flat out on the floor, but I do love margaritas. I can barely drink a half of glass of white wine anymore and honestly its the one thing I really miss and I hope I will at least be able to have a full glass eventually.

so, i started drinking again about 3 weeks after my surgery. wine is a good drink to start back with. it will help you to gauge how you do with it. some people get wasted really easy. i like to think that i dont but i do feel one glass of alcohol, where i barely felt it before. i am a margarita lover as well, so i will give you my homemade recipe. you might want to cut everything in half:

3 limes

2 shots or 1 large shot of tequila

1 shot or 1/2 large shot of triple sec

it has WAY less calories than the mixes in bars and besides, it tastes WAY better!!

Im suppose to go out for a friends birthday and I have been wondering the same thing, what in the world do I drink, lots of helpful things in here :)

I'm just over 8 wks out and had my first drink last week. I had about half a glass of champagne and it was the first thing I had with bubbles and I had no adverse reactions whatsover. Didn't even think about the bubbles until I read your post.

Beer fills me up and makes me uncomfortable ... even at 14 months out. White wine is definitely my drink of choice. If I am careful with the food & calorie choices, a screwdriver goes down well as well.

I used to be a beer girl, but i'm only about 6 months out, and just a few sips and I'm burping like a sailor! So, out in public I do NOT drink beer! My fav drink of choice is flavored vodka, green apple, watermelon, etc. with Crystal Lite Raspberry Lemonade. it tastes just like a Jolly Rancher candy! Only problem is that they go down way to quick! I can drink maybe one and halfway through, i'm buzzed, but by the time I get to the end, I'm totally sober again! It is weird!!!

Hopefully by the summer I can enjoy a nice cold beer while floating in the pool, much easier than making mixed drinks!!

Patti

Have you tried Zilch mixers? My girlfriend was on Weight Watchers and bought some of these little packets to keep in her purse. When she's out she asks the bartender for a shot of tequila and a glass of ice Water and she mixes the packet and the shot in with the Water and instant margarita! They taste pretty good, kind of like a skinny margarita but much cheaper. They even say for bariatric patients in the narrative on the page. sugar free and low carb. Not bad.

http://www.zilchmixers.com/

I recently started again. I used to be a "Champagne-O" and loved beer. Now, I do......

2 OZ. Vodka (preferably Grey Goose :P

1 OZ. fresh squeezed lemon

1 OZ. sugar free either Raspberry or Black Cherry Torani Syrup

YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this is gonna sound weird, but lots of things are different since I got sleeved. I used to be able to drink big men under the table. Now if I have 1 drink I'm buzzed. If I have a 2nd drink too soon, I am FUBAR. But, here's the weird part. If I go pee, I'm sober again. So, if you notice some girl at the party doing the "pee dance", it's me!

I'm only 4 weeks out now so I'm not going to mess with carbonation. But around the 3 month mark I'm going to test some beer and see how it affects me. Not going to be a big drinker but sometimes at the bar with the boys I want to enjoy a cold beverage now and then.

I used to be a beer girl, but i'm only about 6 months out, and just a few sips and I'm burping like a sailor! So, out in public I do NOT drink beer! My fav drink of choice is flavored vodka, green apple, watermelon, etc. with Crystal Lite Raspberry Lemonade. it tastes just like a Jolly Rancher candy! Only problem is that they go down way to quick! I can drink maybe one and halfway through, i'm buzzed, but by the time I get to the end, I'm totally sober again! It is weird!!!

Hopefully by the summer I can enjoy a nice cold beer while floating in the pool, much easier than making mixed drinks!!

Patti

I have found it depends on the beer. I have tried Blue Moon and it works pretty well also Anheiser Bush has a Blueberry Beer out called Wild Blue that does well. I think beers with less carbonation just seem to work better.