Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone been on Wellbutrin before? My doc suggested it as a potential treatment for my non-existent sex drive, and some superficial internet research resulted in lots of positive opinions on this drug - including for weightloss - so I'm thinking of trying it. Does anyone have any personal experiences? Curious as to the effects it had on your sex drive, sleeping, appetite, and general well-being. Just wondering what to expect - the only "brain drug" I've been on to date was Prozac. Well, the only legal brain drug....:rolleyes:

My wife started taking it for the same reason, she previously had breast cancer and is post menopausal so an estrogen replacement was out of the question. Her libido was non existent and our love life was pretty non existent too.

I have to say SOMETHING is kicking her libido into overdrive. She reread Tim LaHaye's book "The act of marriage" ( http://www.amazon.com/Act-Marriage-Tim-LaHaye/dp/0310212006 ) which she said helped her to recenter her desires toward a proper sex drive (I'm trying to dance around the words here without being to graphic). All I know is sex is better than it has been in years and years, if it was the book or pill or combination of them both. My losing over 100 pounds and taking a testosterone replacement shot certainly helps too.

If you want to return to a more satisfying love life I'd give them a try, be sure to stay on them for about 2 months as results are slow to come and DON'T cut them off cold turkey as it can really screw with your head big time if you do.

Hi BBJ,

I cant comment on wellbutrin but i am in exactly the same boat as you. I have no sex drive whatsoever. Im only 27, think we are around the same age? Last summer i came of the pill to see if that would help, i was convinced it was that as i had been on it for 8 years, but still nothing. When i was 20 i started taking prozac(depression) for 3 years, it did not affect my libido though. I probably began to lose my libibo about 2 years ago now.

At the same time i had to start prozac again but since November began to wean off it, completely coming off it in January. Eventhough prozac did not effect me in this way before I did this in the hope that it would kick start my sex drive but still... nothing. I am pretty sure my weight and lack of confidence has a lot to do with the whole thing but surely not responsible for killing it dead?

I honestly forget what it feels like to have those feelings and dont think i would mind if i never have sex again.

I didnt know that wellbutrin was an option and would also love to hear peoples opinions.

You know, I was just thinking today that I should go see my PCP and talk about trying Wellbutrin again, for several reasons: I'm peri-menopausal, and while I'm not having wild mood swings or anything, I generally feel irritated a lot of the time, I get mad easier, and I also have absolutely NO sex drive. I enjoy it once we get into it, but have no desire at all to get things started, ever.

I had my gyno start me on it a few years ago, partly because I was under a ton of stress at the time and it was starting to affect me, but mostly because I also heard it was great for weight loss (it's also used to help people stop smoking). I was only on it for 3 weeks because after 2 weeks, I started getting really itchy spots all over my ankles, which at first I thought were bug bites.. until one day when I got really hot at the zoo and broke out in hives all over the place. A little online research showed that to be one of the side-effects. Damn! Because I can say that YES, definitely in those three weeks I noticed an increase in drive. Also, hopefully this is not way TMI, but I was able to hit The Big O during regular intercourse, which is very rare these days (God love the 40s, wheee).

So yeah, like you I think I may see about trying it again before the weather gets warm, and see if I still have the same reaction (with the hives--I can hope that it still affects me the other way too! :D)

I was on wellbutrin last year when I decided to have VSG. I didn't notice it do anything for me, it was prescribed for weight loss and mood. I got off it after VSG. For sex drive you should consider testosterone instead, my girlfriend takes it but she is quite a bit older than you, but she raves about it.

I went on it last summer as a smoking cessation alternative. It completely zapped my appetite, and I dropped down to 119lbs, and looked horrible. It killed my sex drive, I was having manic type episodes and have never in my life experienced any clinical depression, true anxiety, or other labeled medical conditions to warrant the use of Wellbutrin. I was miserable, to be honest, I thought I was going insane. My fuse was past short, I would blow up at the slightest thing. My road rage intensified, and I had to wean off of it.

I can say that it helped with my desire to smoke, but my husband was ready to divorce and my son was willing to disown me. I was a serious hot mess on that crap.

I was on Wellbutrin from about 2002-surgery date. 450 mgs qd. I have not had any since about 2 weeks before surgery and decided to try not to start back. Throughout that time period, I have always had problems sleeping. I can't say it was attributed to the wellbutrin, because, I still don't sleep that great. What I have noticed though, is that my libido is definitely lagging in comparison to what it was when I was taking it.

I was on wellbutrin last year when I decided to have VSG. I didn't notice it do anything for me, it was prescribed for weight loss and mood. I got off it after VSG. For sex drive you should consider testosterone instead, my girlfriend takes it but she is quite a bit older than you, but she raves about it.

I'm getting my T levels tested on Monday, I doubt it's low, though - I don't think I would've been able to maintain my muscle mass with low testosterone. Did your friend get injections or use topical T?

Wellbutrin is a good antidepressant. It is indicated for depression. If depression is causing a decreased sex drive it may help. It doesnt have the common decresed sexual side effects of the class of antidepresants called SSRIs.

I ended up having severe anxiety whiloe using Wellbutrin. It was so bad that while I was driving home I began to hyperventilate and caused myself to pass out. I woke up surrounded by emergency personnel. Just be careful and do your research. I found OTC Estroven to help with libido. That is probably due to my own GYN issues though.

I ended up having severe anxiety whiloe using Wellbutrin. It was so bad that while I was driving home I began to hyperventilate and caused myself to pass out. I woke up surrounded by emergency personnel. Just be careful and do your research. I found OTC Estroven to help with libido. That is probably due to my own GYN issues though.

Wellbutrin is a more enervating antidepressant (some are enervating and some are sedating), so it can definitely exacerbate any tendencies towards anxiety. For this reason, I also take Paxil along with the Wellbutrin; Paxil tames the anxiety portion. There is something called "serotonin syndrome" that can develop when you are on certain enervating antidepressants without an anti-anxiety med to counteract it; I had an episode of this, and it was the worst thing I have ever experienced, worse than a panic attack; I thought I was going crazy. I now know I need both components. It has been a life-saving combo for me, honestly. HOWEVER, since starting this combo, my sex drive has decreased significantly. Now, I must say, I had an unusually high libido before, so maybe I am more "normal" now, I don't know. All I know is it has been a very noticeable difference for me, but it has NOT gone away completely.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Does this mess with your sleep? I have terrible insomnia, last thing I need is an upper to stop me from sleeping altogether.

Anyone been on Wellbutrin before? My doc suggested it as a potential treatment for my non-existent sex drive, and some superficial internet research resulted in lots of positive opinions on this drug - including for weightloss - so I'm thinking of trying it. Does anyone have any personal experiences? Curious as to the effects it had on your sex drive, sleeping, appetite, and general well-being. Just wondering what to expect - the only "brain drug" I've been on to date was Prozac. Well, the only legal brain drug....:rolleyes:

I am currently taking Wellbutrin until my VSG gets approved. It does not enhance my sex drive; however, it is the only anti-depressent that does not LOWER sex drive. It was prescribed to me as a last ditch weight loss aide (not for depression). Even if I don't take it as prescribed, I notice a loss of appetite. Otherwise, no sleep changes and general well being - well, I am generally a perky, out going girl and that is the same too :)

I was on it years ago for smoking cessation (and it worked great) and then was on it for about 6 months for anxiety and stress reduction. It definitely didn't increase my sex drive and didn't lower my appetite, but it did help with the stress level. It also made me a little loopy sometimes which is very out of character for me (like I forgot to shut the car off once and it was still running an hour later). I have been off it since being sleeved because you can't crush it or cut it in half. I haven't really notice a change with or without it, so not sure I am going to take it again once I am back taking whole pills. It definitely is a drug that works different on everyone.