Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleeve-not what I expected

Tammie, 40 lbs at nine weeks is fantastic. First of all, everybody is different; second, most people count what they lost PRE-OP as total lbs lost. I know I do/did. I lost 23 lbs before I every went under the knife and counted it from the very beginning. After my 1 week check up, 2 week etc. Most folks do, which is fine, lbs lost is lbs lost. Right!!??

I'm 9wks out and only 40 pounds loss. I was feeling discouraged after reading that someone lost 56 pounds in 2months, thinking I was doing something wrong. Yet after reading the different post, I'm feeling better about everything. One thing I do agree with is, when having the surgery, it is imperative that the wls patient understands that this is only a tool, a means to an end but not "the end". I like to think that sleeve surgery puts us who struggle with weight, at the starting line with those who don't struggle... Work on renewing the mind, the rest will follow.

I must go back-to-basics! I was trying more solid Proteins and too many carbs and it was too much for me.

So eggs, Soups and yogurt are better for now. I can take chicken blended in the Magic Bullet very well also.

Also what do you do about the crunchy, carb desires? It this just a mental disorder? Maybe I should try to

eat the "fried"? pork rind chips--? Not appealing to me, but maybe.

I thought I was a bit internet savvy but am having trouble with this site finding a way to answer the many replies to my post, in mass--is there a way, or do i reply to each person individually?

Can anyone offer site navigation help for me?

Thanks,

HZ

I think you can just answer, as most everyone is asking the same thing about the details of your diet, exercise, etc.You don't need to thank everyone. I know if you reply to someone's post directly their post is quoted and then you type your reply below it, a I have. You seem to be quoting in one post and then answering in another. I also think there is a way to quote several people. I haven't learned it though!

In any case, I think you have explained a lot when you said too many carbs- I think everything I have researched has made it clear that you need to restrict carbs a lot to really lose. My doctor, in fact, says he has never seen anyone lose all their goal weight without doing so. He explains that you think of it as having two gas tanks- one with carbs and sugar, the other your excess fat. When the carb tank is empty you wont switch to the fat tank unless youput very little into the carb tank. If you put carbs all the time your body will shut down to use what carbs you give it and wont reach over to the fat tank.

The main issue is that most of us are addicted to carbs- that is why we are at this point- needing an extreme tool to help us deal with it. That craving is still going to crop up and we still need our resolve and will to get it behind us and keep it from undermining our progress. The tiny tummy just helps us by making us full a lot faster. It is a tool- we are still having to do the work.

The main things I have seen in common among the people who seem to do really well are 1. drink your water- 64 ounces plus 2. Eat your protein- 60-80 grams a day, before anything else 3. restrict your carbs- 40 or under (maybe more taking in to account Fiber content of some bettter carbs like fruit and vegetables) 4. exercise.

In addition, almost everyone stalls during the first month as far as I can tell! Furthermore, sometimes a problem develops where you are actually eating too little and if you increase your Protein , make sure of your Water, and eat a bit more, it can get you losing again. You can fall into a trap thinking you are eating so very little, - why aren't you losing? and your body is just shutting down into starvation mode. You need to show your body you are in this for the long haul- nourishing your body with Protein, and healthy carbs with Fiber and nutrients, keeping hydrated, and making your bod work it work it work it. Then I think you will see that loss you so want.

It might be a good idea to train yourself to a new addiction like exercise!

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

This is a really good thread to read. I feel like I have learned a lot. There are so many great people on this forum willing to help. I am definitely less worried about eventually being sleeved. (I am a real worrier)

Just an FYI - I found when I had a stall, and most do. I would actually go up and down with a lb or two before it would come off and stay off. I call that a stall. I did this all the time it seemed, at first I hated it, thought it was abnormal, but it was normal for ME. I heard at a support meeting that it was normal for others that were further out than I was, so I just accepted it and went on. I also figured out that if I'd up my Protein from the normal 60 - 65 to 70 - 80, which was easy when I'd add some steamed shrimp in the middle of the day.....and drink extra Water....(because I have NEVER gotten in all the Water I SHOULD)....then I'd drop that lb or two really fast and move on!!! It seemed to work just about every time.

I'm not an exercise guru, never have been, never will be. I did not reach goal because I was hitting the gym, I reached goal because Dr. Wonderful gave me a tool to work with and I've made life changes that I can live with. I know with exercise I'd have burned out in no time, so I do what I enjoy, which is just a little here at home with a weighted ball; I park as far out as possible in the parking lot;. I like to walk the mall to shop for clothes now. That's about it. I love fish, lean pork, chicken and beef....I get on average 70 grams of Protein a day. I have to work at getting 1200 calories a day to maintain. When I was losing I averaged 675 calories a day.

I know this is a way of life and I have finally wrapped my head around it and am working at living like a thin person NOW.....but until I reached goal I treated it as a diet, period. I was obsessive. Now I enjoy each and every thing I put into my mouth, but I am picky about what it is. I have found it disgustingly easy to lose over 90 lbs. and maintaining has been the difficult part....who knew stopping would be hard. I hope it is this easy for all of you that are getting ready to begin this journey.

Meggiep - my new addiction, shopping!! ;)

I am still NOT SLEEVED! BUT I will tell u one thing!! U shouldnt regret it at all that soon!! Go through other boards and U will find that ppl who were able to keep the weight off with the sleeve are amazing numbers!!

I advice u to see this post about RNY to know how fast they lost the weight and how fast they gained it back! just to put ur disappointment to sleep! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/4290606/I-need-help-losing-it-again/

Also watch this board " FAILURE" and if u found any sleever there complaining please let me know!! Icant find! http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/page,2/

25 is a BLESS! I know u might have expected more or continous result!! but the same happened to me with my band! Is stopped losing on the 4th week and broke my stall at the 9th!!! give it more time before disappointment starts:)

I started feeling this at my 3rd year band! LOL :) BEST OF LUCK AND WORK UR TOOL please X

Thank you

HC

You're still in the honeymoon phase and have wonderful restriction that does make it hard to get the Protein in. Keep a log of your daily Protein and keep trying, even tho mushies can be a little boring or they were for me. There are some great recipes on here. Personally I lived on tuna, chicken salad,scrambleds eggs and cottage cheese flovored with sf instant puddings.. The protein and Water are the MOST important thing,do your best. The weight will come off, your body is in shock wondering what the heck happened and even when the lbs didnt come off as fast as I thought they should the inches fell off. Hang in there, it is a amazing tool and before you know it you'll love your tiny tummy!!

My daughter has RNY and has had a few problems with it, fainting,underweight and ulcer, I do believe the sleeve is the safest weight loss tool but that is my opinion. Good luck, keep us posted. :)

This is a really good thread to read. I feel like I have learned a lot. There are so many great people on this forum willing to help. I am definitely less worried about eventually being sleeved. (I am a real worrier)

It is a great place to learn and almost like a family too. :)

I'm sorry if this is taken wrong - but what is with the double posts and thank yous? People here are more than willing to help you - but they are asking for information.

What do you normally eat in a day?

Do you get any exercise?

Do you have any formal post op plan?

Let's start with those.

I'm with you. Why aren't you answering any of the questions? People are sincerely trying to offer their help and support.

I had my sleeve on 3/15/11. It has been just over 5 weeks and I've only lost 18 pounds so far. I go to aerobics twice weekly and sometimes to the gym and I still am losing weight very slow. So I can relate to your problem. I guess I thought it would come off quicker. Prior to the surgery I had lost 30 pounds in 3 months. So I guess I'm losing it at around the same rate as before. I guess it is slightly easier than before the surgery. But I still have to watch what I eat or I won't lose anything. I think I expected to lose weight without even trying, especially the first few months. I think one of my problems might be that I'm not drinking enough Water daily. They say increasing your water will help you lose weight quicker. Have you tried that?

I'm a slow loser too, almost 8 months out and down 40 lbs. What I'm happy about is that with this tool, I'm not hungry, I don't track anything (which was a major peeve for me on other programs), and I know this will be permanent. Pre-surgery it was yo-yo, always, for years.

Just keep reminding yourself, how would you be doing if you didn't have this surgery?

Good Luck!

At ten days out I was instructed by my surgeon, "NOTHING that won't go through a straw". At that point I could sip an eighth of a cup of broth or strained 98% fat free Soup that was thinned with skim milk and strained....period. I was stuffed. Whoever said 'eat under the sleeve' is right. At ten months out and five months since reaching goal, I still weigh and measure my food...and log it all on line. I NEED 1100 - 1200 calories per day and it's a struggle to get them in. I averaged 675 per day during my losing stage, but it took a three months to get close to that!

Another point also is that you age, resting metabolism and how high your BMI are all affect how quickly you lose weight. At your point, I thought I was losing much slower than I had seen others on here post. It was a bummer, then I realized I was losing. That was new for me. I am now 13 weeks out and halfway to goal. I have never lost this much and been able to keep it off. When your clothes start to get too big and you have to buy smaller pants, you will feel better. It is truly amazing and you will get there.

As far as the crunchy thing goes. At about your point I started eating a couple of whole grain saltines a day. It gives you that crunch and salty sensation, but they get chewed down to mushy. Now I am loving the special K crackers. You can eat 17 of them for 90 calories. I only eat about 5, but love them.

I must go back-to-basics! I was trying more solid Proteins and too many carbs and it was too much for me.

So eggs, Soups and yogurt are better for now. I can take chicken blended in the Magic Bullet very well also.

Also what do you do about the crunchy, carb desires? It this just a mental disorder? Maybe I should try to

eat the "fried"? pork rind chips--? Not appealing to me, but maybe.

I thought I was a bit internet savvy but am having trouble with this site finding a way to answer the many replies to my post, in mass--is there a way, or do i reply to each person individually?

Can anyone offer site navigation help for me?

Thanks,

HZ

You can see the "multi quote" button at the bottom right edge of the posting windows? You can go down the line and press the buttons of the posts you want to answer in one single post... then, in that window that opens with the quoted posts, type your answer AFTER the [/ quote ] at the end of the quote you want to answer. This way the quote(s) you want to reply to, and your reply (replies) will be contained in the same window. Hope that helps.

Leeblewb - I love the Special K Crackers - in fact, they were recommended by my dietitian at the surgeon's office. At this point, I'm at goal and 10 months out, eat double what you do, maybe only eight, but I don't eat bread at home normally, so I love to eat the crackers with my tuna! It's great!!

Every one loses at a different pace, and every lb lost is a lb gone forever if we work it right!!! I reached my surgeon's goal in just under five months. That was 78 lbs gone, but 23 lbs of that was pre-op. That means that the remaining 55 lbs I lost in the next not quite five months. Avereraged out, that is 11 lbs per month. Not a sprint by any means, but nice and steady I think. There were times when I thought....will this 1 or 2 lbs ever leave for good....I'd go up and down with it for a few days and some times a week, then I'd wake up one morning, and they'd be gone, some times taking a 3rd one with them. Go figure. Anyway, I look back now....and OMG - I've lost a lot, I'm below goal, but 55 lbs in five months without taking pills or doing some crazy fad diet. This is a breeze!!! I cannot complain!!!

Another point also is that you age, resting metabolism and how high your BMI are all affect how quickly you lose weight. At your point, I thought I was losing much slower than I had seen others on here post. It was a bummer, then I realized I was losing. That was new for me. I am now 13 weeks out and halfway to goal. I have never lost this much and been able to keep it off. When your clothes start to get too big and you have to buy smaller pants, you will feel better. It is truly amazing and you will get there.

As far as the crunchy thing goes. At about your point I started eating a couple of whole grain saltines a day. It gives you that crunch and salty sensation, but they get chewed down to mushy. Now I am loving the special K crackers. You can eat 17 of them for 90 calories. I only eat about 5, but love them.