Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleeve-not what I expected

sleeve-not what I expected. Maybe I should have had the DS or the RNY-I'm really disappointed..

Surgery date 2-15-11, I lost 25 lbs. and then nothing for 2 weeks.

Restriction feeling varies-it works better in day time- very little restriction at end of the day---is this strange?

Any comments?

Can you tell us your stats? Height, surgery wt? Comorbidities, age? What are you eating and how much? If we know these, we may be able to help the sleeve help you. Also, maybe you have it a stall a little later than most folks. Still, 25 lbs in six weeks is nothing to sneeze at.

You lost 25 Lbs in 6 weeks.

Sad to hear you are disappointed. Are you disappointed in the surgery or yourself? How do you think RNY would have helped you lose weight faster?

Since you did not provide - what are you eating daily now? How much protien daily? Carbs daily? Water daily? Sugars daily? All of these stats are really going to effect your outcome. You are in control now with the sleeve. Make it work for you.

Can you answer questions so we can help you move in the right direction...loosing weight. Diva is right though - 26 lbs is a lot of weight to lose. Don't compare yourself and don't beat yourself either. You can do this!

I think one of the most important part of this process is to NOT compare yourself to others. Our bodies are all different and we lose at different paces. I am thankful for each and every pounds I lose. You could just be in a stall or perhaps you need to change how you are eating. Exercise and Water help too. You can do this!

and also id like to ad a sleeve is not a magicl surgery that will make u loose weight its a "tool" and you must do your part all the info is on here, from Protein and sugar free things you should eat in order to get where u want to be.

Have you heard of stalls? They happen to all of us.

When you say no restriction, how much meat are you able to

eat at dinner?

Based on your previous posts you said you had 70 pounds to lose....so you have already dropped 36% of your excess weight in six weeks. What exactly is the problem again?

Also - in another post you mention 10 days out from surgery that you were already eating over 4oz of food. I'm not sure what type of post-op program you are on - but from what I have read that is quite a bit 10 days out. Many people are still on liquids at that time.

Also - from what I have read....the most successful sleevers are the ones who actually eat UNDER their sleeve. They don't want to "test" how restrictive it is. Measure out your food and just eat that. Don't eat every meal until the restriction finally hits you. That is how you stretch your sleeve.

Good luck to you.

Have you heard of stalls? They happen to all of us.

When you say no restriction, how much meat are you able to

eat at dinner?

OregonDaisy gets at another good point. Restriction will vary based on the type of food consumed. You should be eating mostly Protein, then veggies, and finally carbs if you are allowed and you are still hungry. If you are still eating mainly soft things at six weeks out....try transitioning to more solid Protein.< /p>

Many people can easily get down many oz of soft foods, but feel good restriction when they start eating solid protein.

Do you have a post op diet to follow? Have you been? Do you see a nutritionist or surgeon for after care? What do they have to say about this issue?

Any comments?

The Dr's office should have provided a meal plan or outline for post op eating. When I read people feel no restriction, they usually admit later on that they were eating soft carbs - mashed potatoes, ice cream, Pasta etc.

One thing I have noticed from these boards is that many people are serious carb counters. Most Dr's suggest you eat Protein first and limit carbs to 100 per day (give or take). If you are not counting carbs you may be cheating yourself.

I think your weight loss is a great feat and you should be proud. Never compare your loss to someone else because there are many variables: how much they have to lose, co-morbidities, thyroid issues, glandular issues, exercise routine and diet routine.

Be proud of your loss and push through your stall!!! It may mean switching up your current diet or exercise routine, but you can do it. Don't give up :)

Are you logging your food? When I am going through periods of slow losing/stalls I log every morsel that goes into my mouth even gum (has 5 cal). Also are you exercising? That will help too, get up and get moving, change up your routine, add something, do something different. Increase your Protein cut carbs. I would make an appt with your nut and exercise therapist, take your journals, that you have been totally honest in, so they can see what you are doing and be able to give you good advice. I hope something said here helps get you moving. Be encouraged all was not for naught

weight.png

I had surgey the same day as you and i have lost about the same . I also feel like I cannot eat as much in the morning as I can in the evening .The sleeve is not just what I expected either I think in my mind it was the magic surgery that would make it all better. I am finding out that I still have to work at it but just not as hard as before the surgery. I do still want to eat bad things and head hunger is a real pain in my a$$ but the sleeve is still helping me. I think in my head I like you thought something different but it is what I have and I plan to do my best to make it work for me . I wish you the best.

I, too, was disappointed at week 3. I had a major stall and got so frustrated! However, even though I didn't loose any weight, I have lost almost 3 sizes in clothes!!! Don't get discouraged, although I am the first to admit that it is easy to do in these stalls! I haven't changed anything, but about every 3 or 4 days I loose another pound. My husband made a good point in that I did not put the weight all on in a short time, so loosing slowly is better in the long run.

OH, and since surgery, I have only lost 21 lbs. I am counting my weight loss since my pre-op diet. It really helps me feel better about this whole journey!

Keep your chin up! I am sure that if you look back in a month, you will have a different perspective on things. I am also only 4 weeks out, almost 5. This was a big change and it's easy to fall into those past thoughts! I hope you find comfort in knowing that we have all been there and we will all be here for you throughout your journey :rolleyes: !!

Before you had surgery could you have lost 25 pounds in a six week period? Would you have kept it off? I think not.

Your expectations may have been too high going in. You didn't gain it all in one year, did you? Don't expect it to all come off in even less time.

I am almost 10 weeks out and have lost "only" 40 pounds. I thank God for it. Count your blessings and follow the suggestions above.

I'm sorry to sound less than empathetic, but you need to look at the good things about your sleeve instead of dwelling on the scale.< /span>

There are no weight loss fairies that I have been able to find, but the sleeve will work for you if you keep your thoughts positive and keep working at it.

I am almost 10 months out, reached goal in just under five months and at 6 months I was five lbs under goal. Now I am 12 lbs under and work to not keep losing. I still weigh and measure my food. You are doing great! I agree, we need to know what you are eating and how much. I never counted carbs, that is not something my doctor and dietitian has us do, but I do an on line log that keeps track of my Protein and calories....it also tracks the carbs. I look at it but don't worry. I watch calories and protein. My concern was not losing my hair. A girl has her priorities, right??!!! :) Right now I can eat a half cup of cottage cheese, I've been able to eat a half cup for a few months now. I was worried at first but after some reassurance, I realize that as time goes on, it is normal to be able to eat more. I do still feel quite a bit of restriction, but I can definitely eat more than before. Give us more details!! As far as RNY - I'm the only one I personally know that has had the sleeve. Two friends are banded, one kept it for 6 weeks, had severe problems and had it removed. The other one is going on five years and started regaining a year ago. I know 12 people from my home town that have had bypass surgery....ONE is doing great. The others.....some never reached goal, the others have gained some of the weight back. Some more than others. I think it may be great for some, but I didn't even consider it because of the ones I personally know. Just sayin'