Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can any stand the taste of greek yogurt?

Plain, greek yogurt is not very good. But, like others mentioned, I mix sugar free Torani syrups and Slenda in with it. I live in Canada, so I don't have access to some of the brands mentioned. The ones I have tried though are very good. I like that they are thick and creamy. I'll add raspberry Syrup, splenda, and some Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal....YUMMO!

I use Fage 0%, add two splendas and a splash of vanilla, then mix in 2 oz pureed fruit (baby food works fine)...then I find that the yogurt picks up the flavor of whatever else you add in it which is nice. You have to work with it b/c the first time I tried I thought I had wasted my money on the large tub and would have to throw it away...but I doctored it to where I can eat it. Also, before I was eating this plain one I was using the Chobani Greek with fruits in them (the individual cups) and my nutritionist told me no way get off of them because of all the added sugar you take in. I take the doctor and nutritionist seriously and know that I don't need the extra sugar! that is one of the main things that got me heavy in the first place.

I totally wasted so much money on all this *stuff* early on. It is aversive to me also. Like not food to me, like eating something inedible. I don't know why. Kind of like the 3 bottles of Celebrate Calcium citrate I stupidly bought and can't suck/chew. Who wants them? They are berry flavored I think. They are like so huge and gross. I am so mad at myself for that. I'll definitely pass them on to someone else in Houston who likes them.

I found some liquid calcium citrate at costco for 9.99 which is blueberry flavored and you just take a quick shot and you are done for the day. NO lingering stuff in your mouth. Its kind of that yogurty taste, but melted and it goes away quick. Nothing I'd want to eat by the spoonfuls any more than I want to suck on the cacium thingys.

The sleeve has made me very sensitive to taste. My favorite dessert is now a graham cracker. Thats it. No marshmallows or chocolate. I like barely sweet stuff, but nothing really sweet or preferably nothing sour, nothing tooo spicey. NO chili powder.

Like a lot of foods to us sleever's, it a acquired taste. I never heard of the greek stuff until now, some taste better than others.

The plan is pretty bad.

Plain, greek yogurt is not very good. But, like others mentioned, I mix sugar free Torani syrups and Slenda in with it. I live in Canada, so I don't have access to some of the brands mentioned. The ones I have tried though are very good. I like that they are thick and creamy. I'll add raspberry Syrup, splenda, and some Kashi Honey Almond Flax Cereal....YUMMO!

Which brand have you found to be best? I almost bought some Krema yogurt today, but then I read the label and it's loaded with fat - 11 grams of fat per 7 grams Protein. Might as well have some chicken wings!

I too was all hyped up for the greek yogurt with all the Proteins. Not!!!! This stuff is horrible..lol I took one bite and I was spitting it back out.. I even got the strawberry flavored one..Geez couldn't they have made it taste a little better.. I guess since surgery my taste buds aren't quite there yet. I think I will just stick with plain yogurt for now..

The yogurt that tastes so wonderful right out of the container has already been flavored and sweetened...ya know? ANY plain yogurt tastes disgusting, whether it's Greek or not. On the other hand, it makes a fantastic substitute for sour cream! :)

Try adding some sweetener and flavoring (I like to just use vanilla and Splenda or Truvia).

They gave it to me in the hosp day after surgery and I couldnt handle it... a few days later I actually like it. I eat the Fage 0% plain, and it doesn't bother me that much.

Then again, I am 13 days post op and just rotate cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and baby food meats. If it works, I just dont mess with it.

hey! it might work as wallpaper paste! i like it with some sugar free smuckers raspberry jam in it and my NUT said it was actually okay to eat the flavored ones. there are different kinds that you might like though -- or not. i agree about root beer by the way!

good luck! think i'll eat some now (or put up some wallpaper!) :P

The yogurt that tastes so wonderful right out of the container has already been flavored and sweetened...ya know? ANY plain yogurt tastes disgusting, whether it's Greek or not.

I disagree with that blanket statement. Plain or natural yogurt of any kind tastes pretty good in general. Here are a couple of reasons why some people don't like it:

• There is almost no natural yogurt available in the US. Yogurt here is almost always non-fat or severely fat reduced and that just doesn't taste right. Somehow, people here have developed an incredible fear of fat, and as a result we cut fat out of everything. Unfortunately, when cutting out the natural fat, we 1) cut out flavor and 2) cut out satiety and satisfaction. Eating a Dannon Fit doesn't do anything for me. The flavor is wrong, the texture is wrong and it doesn't even address my feeling of hunger. If you leave the natural fat in a yogurt (not just Greek) or at least only partially remove the fat, the yogurt tastes very nice because the natural fat balances the acidity. Sour cream is just as tart as Greek yogurt but it has more fat - now that is too much fat for eating it by the spoon, but a 2% Greek yogurt is a very nice snack.< /li>
  • If you still don't like it, it is most likely because it yogurt in the US is very very sweet. This is the taste most people expect from yogurt, ie. an almost dessert type flavor. In many other countries, they don't add as much sugar or sweetener to yogurt so the expected flavor is much closer to an actual yogurt milk product. It's not like y'all don't like tart flavors: people love sour patch candy, most juices or fruits have high acidity and a tart flavor and a dry red wine can be quite "tart". It's just that in yogurt, most people don't expect that flavor and therefore resent it. I love scrambled eggs, but if someone were to put sugar in them, I'd hate it. I like sweet and I like eggs, just not sweet eggs. Now, if I always had my eggs sweetened, I am pretty sure I would consider it quite nice! I grew up on sweet popcorn as we do it in Germany, and it took me quite a while before I started to accept and like salty and buttery popcorn.

If you are worried about the fat, don't. I believe most people don't eat enough fat and the general consent on fat has turned around 180°. 1 cup of 0% Fage has 120 calories while the 2% has 150. Really not a big difference, and please keep in mind that you usually don't eat a whole cup but 6oz., and then the difference is 20 calories for 10x flavor.

And if you still don't like it, then maybe you just don't like it.

I disagree with that blanket statement. Plain or natural yogurt of any kind tastes pretty good in general. Here are a couple of reasons why some people don't like it:

• There is almost no natural yogurt available in the US. Yogurt here is almost always non-fat or severely fat reduced and that just doesn't taste right. Somehow, people here have developed an incredible fear of fat, and as a result we cut fat out of everything. Unfortunately, when cutting out the natural fat, we 1) cut out flavor and 2) cut out satiety and satisfaction. Eating a Dannon Fit doesn't do anything for me. The flavor is wrong, the texture is wrong and it doesn't even address my feeling of hunger. If you leave the natural fat in a yogurt (not just Greek) or at least only partially remove the fat, the yogurt tastes very nice because the natural fat balances the acidity. Sour cream is just as tart as Greek yogurt but it has more fat - now that is too much fat for eating it by the spoon, but a 2% Greek yogurt is a very nice snack.< /li>
  • If you still don't like it, it is most likely because it yogurt in the US is very very sweet. This is the taste most people expect from yogurt, ie. an almost dessert type flavor. In many other countries, they don't add as much sugar or sweetener to yogurt so the expected flavor is much closer to an actual yogurt milk product. It's not like y'all don't like tart flavors: people love sour patch candy, most juices or fruits have high acidity and a tart flavor and a dry red wine can be quite "tart". It's just that in yogurt, most people don't expect that flavor and therefore resent it. I love scrambled eggs, but if someone were to put sugar in them, I'd hate it. I like sweet and I like eggs, just not sweet eggs. Now, if I always had my eggs sweetened, I am pretty sure I would consider it quite nice! I grew up on sweet popcorn as we do it in Germany, and it took me quite a while before I started to accept and like salty and buttery popcorn.

If you are worried about the fat, don't. I believe most people don't eat enough fat and the general consent on fat has turned around 180°. 1 cup of 0% Fage has 120 calories while the 2% has 150. Really not a big difference, and please keep in mind that you usually don't eat a whole cup but 6oz., and then the difference is 20 calories for 10x flavor.

And if you still don't like it, then maybe you just don't like it.

True, we're all to used to very sweet and artificial flavours, me included. I eat 2% fat (which isn't fat free but lower fat) if you put natural fruit in (as I said eralier I put strawberries or blueberries) and a bit of sweetners (when/if I reach goal I will try it with a bit of honey) it does actually taste nice. I think it's an "aquired taste"

You know, I never tried the kind with honey because although I love honey, the combination just did not sound good to me at all. But at the grocery store last week, they were demo'ing the Fage with honey and the one with strawberry, and I actually really liked the one with honey. That was a nice surprise!

I hated greek yogurt (and barely could tolerate regular yogurt) pre - surgery. Now I love greek yogurt! I buy plain and mix in my own sweetners (splenda, sugar-free jam, once I tried SF hot chocolate powder) all of it has been pretty good. I also add crushed nuts and/or whey Protein crisps for additional texture.

One time I accidently bought full fat greek yogurt, IT WAS SOOOO GOOD, super duper creamy (less tart)! Just didn't like all the fat grams in each serving, something like 23 gr.

I have noticed alot of taste bud changes since surgery, all for the better, healthy foods taste and feel better.