Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone here sheat on the pre op liquid diet?

I'm on day three of the liquid diet, 3 Atkins shakes a day, and i have survived so far. I would be lying if I said I have not thought about cooking up a turkey burger, or even a 95% fat free Hamburger with no roll.

I really cant see the harm in it, as long as its all Protein and no carbs what could it hurt? MY Sugeons office is closed for the weekend, so I cant really call and say, Hey can I eat a turkey burger with no roll?

Did anyone here cheat on the liquid diet? Did the dr know? What kind of cheat did you do?

Im loosing my mind here!

(sheepishly raises her hand) Yes, I did cheat on the first week a couple of times. I did eat very low carb though. My labs before that were fantastic mostly due to not eating anything with gluten for months. So I was pretty sure my liver had shrunk and was not fatty. I had lost about 13 pounds also.

The second week I stuck strickly to the full liquid diet though. I did not have to drink just Protein drinks. I lost about 6 pounds during those 2 weeks.

I'm on my pre op diet now. Consists of two Protein shakes to replace two meals. One meal high Protein low carb. I drink lots of Water through out the day. Close to 70 to 80 ounces. I have wanted to cheat. I haven't. I have kept my eye on the prize. So yeah I have thought about it.

Deb

Yep, had a piece of pumpkin pie on the first day - it was Friday after Thanksgiving here in the USA. Couldn't resist, it was calling my name :rolleyes:

I am on day 4 and I have wanted too but haven't. My thought is if I can't stick to this how am I going to make it after.

I get 3 protien shakes, a smart one and all the crystal light I can drink!!

My surgeon did not require liqued diet pre-op. I just had to do high Protein low carb. I will tell you this about 2 days after surgery when I was in a lot of pain I had a BM. My thought at that moment was why did I have steak the night before surgery. So I would suggest if your going to cheat do it early on.

I cheated within my meal plan (I didn't have to do all liquid but a mix of high Protein drinks, bars and microwave dishes), so on some days I ate 2 Protein Bars. I also had some ready meals and I added a bit of eggbeater to eat (cooked eggbeater, not the raw stuff) and one day I was so hungry, I actually ate two microwave meals.

I guess it would be OK to have a turkey burger, but in the end, it is meat and meat stays in your system/stomach longer than an Atkins shake so I wouldn't want to try it too close to the surgery date.

I did not have a liquid pre-op diet. They just wanted me to do a reduced calorie diet to "shrink" my liver. They didn't even suggest high Protein, low carbs, they never have even for post-op. He said my liver looked fine during surgery and I was 356 pounds at surgery date. i had no complications during surgery, very little bleeding and didn't need a drain! But, I think I was pretty healthy going in to surgery even with such a high weight. I didn't really stick with any diet pre-op but I did try to cut a few things out and not eat as much. I am sure I was consuming 5-6000 calories before my surgery on a typical day. I did eat Taco Bell and McDonalds a few days before surgery. I just felt like I needed to enjoy those things one more time since I was never going to eat them again. Probably a bad idea and irrational thinking, but luckily my surgery went fine and I healed fine and I have had to complications.

Wow.... lots of different answers. I'm on day 6 of my liquid diet and I'm on only liquid. I'm to have Protein Meal Replacement drinks for all meals and Snacks. So, yes i've cheated but not the way you would think. I have had Jello and broth. In my broth i've added red chili flakes. I've tasted a few bites of my sons food just to make sure it was OK. and I mean a tiny little bitty bite.

I had 2 very thin slices of low fat turkey sandwich meat today also... I just felt like I needed something not sweat. I'm not a sweat eater and all the drinks are making me cranky from all the sweat flavors.

I want a glass of wine really bad but since my surgery is Monday I guess i'd better be good. BUT, i'm only 209 and i'm struggling with WH Y am I having to do such a drastic diet one week pre-op. After hearing people who are heavier than me eating real food right up till surgery time has me really confused as to why i'm making myself sick of the same foods i'm going to need to eat for the next few weeks.

I would give anything for a Boca burger, a Lean Cuisine, Smart One..... anything that I could ad some salt tootongue.gif

Thanks for all the replys!

I'm on the beginning of day four now, it has not been easy, I want to cheat so badly, however I dont want to get busted cheating, with my luck I would get busted. As far as things go right now, it seems to get easier each day, three Atkins, a couple cups of broth, and a couple SF Jello singles. I think at this point I have convinced myself that I can make it through all five days without cheating, although nothing is certain. I keep dreaming of a Bacon cheese burger, on a perfectly grilled roll, with lettuce, mayo, Jalapeno's, cheddar cheese.