Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clonidine... possibly for the menopause

Hello Ladies,

So of you might recall that a few weeks ago I posted that I was getting a lot of headaches and hot flushes/flashes... well, I bit the bullet and went to see my doc.

He said that I am too young for the menopause, but it is possibly... I am getting a blood test for that and thyroid next week. He said that my headaches, flushes and irregular periods could all be linked and that this MIGHT be the reason why I am a slow loser... I really was hoping that when my weight had decreased that my body would synch itself back to 'normal'!

Anyway, to cut a long (and boring) story short, he has perscribed me with a drug called Clondine (Dixarit) to help stop the hot flushes and ease the headaches.

I was wondering if anyone else had taken this and how they found it? I have checked the side effects and I am not too sure whether I am happy to taken them or not...

Also, if you have taken them, how was your weight loss... did it change, or was there no effect?

Any words of wisdom, as ever, greatly received! =]

Oh God, just read this back.... excuse the typos... headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Im not mistaken, clonidine is used treat blood pressure. It is said to be used for many other issues as well. I looked it up on PubMed and a recent study found it to be extremly helpful for the use of hot flashes. This drug can cause drowsiness, which will be intensified if taken with antidepressants or anxiety meds.

It is available in a patch. If you can deal with possible side effects, go for it. It doesnt hurt to try.

I work in psychiatry...clonidine is used in anxiety cases...if not mistaken.

I know the nurse practioner prescribed it to my asst when she was afraid to fly last year.

I found this article ... sounds like it is very useful in headaches/migraines.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000829.html

Also - anti-anxiety pills, according to my doctor, seem to be very beneficial with hot flashes. No, he said it didn't mean I was crazy, but it seems to help alleviate the symptoms - especially with night sweats.

Good luck! Not a fun combo at all!!!!!!

I'm a psych nurse. I also take Clonidine for periodic panic attacks. It falls into the medication class of benzodiazapines. Be careful when you first start taking it, as I had a patient who tried to drive and got a DUI. The most important thing to know with taking benzos for regular, long term treatment is that abrupt cessation of the medication can cause seizures. If you find you need to stop the medication, see your MD and get instructions to taper the medication.

I know that seems like a lot of negative information, but really, it is one of the better benzos. Ativan, Xanax, are a couple of other well known benzos. Start with the smallest dose and increase it gradually until you find relief. That way the side-effects will be minimized. Remember, there is no medication that does not have side-effects. Just ask the pharmacist what warnings and contraindications s/he has for any medications. I even ask about OTC meds, and I'm a nurse with a great drug book at home!

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm glad to help.

HD

I'm a psych nurse. I also take Clonidine for periodic panic attacks. It falls into the medication class of benzodiazapines. Be careful when you first start taking it, as I had a patient who tried to drive and got a DUI. The most important thing to know with taking benzos for regular, long term treatment is that abrupt cessation of the medication can cause seizures. If you find you need to stop the medication, see your MD and get instructions to taper the medication.

I know that seems like a lot of negative information, but really, it is one of the better benzos. Ativan, Xanax, are a couple of other well known benzos. Start with the smallest dose and increase it gradually until you find relief. That way the side-effects will be minimized. Remember, there is no medication that does not have side-effects. Just ask the pharmacist what warnings and contraindications s/he has for any medications. I even ask about OTC meds, and I'm a nurse with a great drug book at home!

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm glad to help.

HD

Hiya Hunydew, thank you for your response.

I have been given another perscription of Clonidine as I didn't take them last time 'cos I was put on HRT Patches. I came off the Patches after 6-7 weeks 'cos I got bad Migraines. We now think that the migraines are hormone related.

So, I've taken my first does of the Clonidine today... 2 tabs twice a day. i hope they work as the hot flushes are really severe at the moment and effecting my whole life; work, socially, sleep, moods etc! Not nice at all.

My doc was really supportive this morning and I have been referred for more blood tests. Then back to the menopause clinic.

If you have any advise I would really appreciate it 'cos this is really doing my head in! Not only the physical symtoms but mentally as well... I was 39 when it started and am now 40 and feel that I am too young for this nonsense!!

Thanks in advance =]

Oh you are really young for all of this! Poor girl! I was 50 when it all started.

Glad they are running tests. I wonder if they use compounding pharmacies where you live.

That way, they can make the hormones just for your body according to your needs, not just a general prescription. It's tailored just for your body.