Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie...surgery date 3-10-11

I have just scheduled my surgery for March 10th. I am very excited but also VERY nervous. I had a lapband for 5 years and lost to goal, but always had issues with things getting stuck, throwing up, and then finally a stomach infection that led to removal. This has been about 6 months ago, and I have gained back almost all of my weight.

Until my appointment last week, when I went with the intention of getting another band, I had never even heard of the sleeve, but my Dr. said he thought in the long run I would like it much better, and would have less complications.

Just a couple of questions...

With the staples, how long are you at risk of leaks?

Will the stomach tissue reconnect, or will the staples always be what is holding it together?

Has anyone else been from band to sleeve???

How many days on average hospital stay??

I am 1 1/2 hours from my Dr..thought about staying in a nearby hotel the day after release...JUST in case any problems.

Any advice would be wonderful.

I can't answer a whole lot of "post op" questions, as I haven't had my surgery yet, but from my research and reading these boards, the risk of leaks is only for a couple weaks but can happen a bit later. And some leaks can go undetected even for months and so then there you are 3 months later and think you just had a leak when it was actually there way earlier.

I believe the stomach tissue grows over the staple line and makes it that much stronger.

I am going to Mexico with Dr. Aceves and his required hospital stay is 3 days. There are usually much shorter stays (some go home the next day!) in the states for various reasons. His 3 day stay is included in the price. I am thankful for the longer stay.

There is a whole section on here for band to sleeve revision. I know Tiffykins had one and she has a great wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Good luck to you! I am getting sleeved March 9th, so we will be starting out together!smile.gif

I too traveled away from home for my surgery. My surgeon was 7 hours away. Once I was released from the hospital, I chose to drive home, mainly because it was Christmas Eve. It all depends on how you feel. I was sore, but not in alot of pain. The main thing to focus on in those days after surgery is to sip, sip , sip. You dont want to get behind on your fluids.

I believe in 3-4 weeks the suture line is mostly healed. As long as you follow your surgeons instructions to a "T", you should do well.

I can't answer a whole lot of "post op" questions, as I haven't had my surgery yet, but from my research and reading these boards, the risk of leaks is only for a couple weaks but can happen a bit later. And some leaks can go undetected even for months and so then there you are 3 months later and think you just had a leak when it was actually there way earlier.

I believe the stomach tissue grows over the staple line and makes it that much stronger.

I am going to Mexico with Dr. Aceves and his required hospital stay is 3 days. There are usually much shorter stays (some go home the next day!) in the states for various reasons. His 3 day stay is included in the price. I am thankful for the longer stay.

There is a whole section on here for band to sleeve revision. I know Tiffykins had one and she has a great wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Good luck to you! I am getting sleeved March 9th, so we will be starting out together!smile.gif

I too traveled away from home for my surgery. My surgeon was 7 hours away. Once I was released from the hospital, I chose to drive home, mainly because it was Christmas Eve. It all depends on how you feel. I was sore, but not in alot of pain. The main thing to focus on in those days after surgery is to sip, sip , sip. You dont want to get behind on your fluids.

I believe in 3-4 weeks the suture line is mostly healed. As long as you follow your surgeons instructions to a "T", you should do well.

I will be struggling with the fluids, but I think starting the 2 week preop diet on the 24th should help me get ready for it!! It is very good that most of the feedback I have read here and other sites are positive, with very few complications!! :)

I will be struggling with the fluids, but I think starting the 2 week preop diet on the 24th should help me get ready for it!! It is very good that most of the feedback I have read here and other sites are positive, with very few complications!! :)

Hi there! My surgery date is 3/7, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on your posts to see how we do together

*friended*

Good luck!

I too was all for the band, until I went to my seminar and then it was sleeve all the way!!!! My surgeon goes middle of the road with their 'pouch' size. She said some make them too small and people get leaks, other make them too big and the weight loss isn't as good. She told me as long as I follow instructions I should be fine. The people that push it get the leaks.

I am 2 hours from my doc and I think I am going to get a hotel the night I get released. Probably only one night though. I'm scheduled for 3/28....so we'll be March buddies. :)