Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body chemistry changes with weight loss

Well this is not easy to talk about, but I sure wish that I had a heads up before surgery. As long as I can remember, I have always had- mild- anxiety issues at times. Also some seasonal 'Winter blues". After vsg I became moody, irritable, anxious, and sleep pattern was totally messed up. I even wound up loosing my job because I wasn't a 'perky cheerleader' like the rest of the girls. Well I finally got in to see my doctor. Come to find out there are a few factors that can affect your anxiety/ mood issues after weight loss surgery. With weight loss, stored estrogen is released from the fat- which can make you moody like when you're pregnant. Also the doctor said that with the weight loss, your body chemistry can change and your old medication may end up being too strong. Sure wish I knew ahead of time to watch out for this! Would have still had the surgery for sure. Just would have liked a heads up to possible prevent all the trouble. Hope this knowledge saves someone else the heartache.

It is kind of you to be honest and I am sure that it will help others. I am sorry that you have had such a rough time. I hope that you are able to start to feel more like yourself and things start to look up.

I think this effects males as well as females too. I know I went through some tough times with unexplained anxiety after surgery,

Also on a side note - and I hope I don't offend. I have just been as horny as can be for about a month now. My poor wife has to put up with me. - if you know what I mean :redface: :rolleyes:

Yes, I think doctors should do more to warn people about this. There's another post here about depression after weight loss surgery, which sometimes happens. I've felt really good for the most part, but I'm so grateful to folks like you who share this info so I'll have some idea what's going on if I experience some tough times. It's certainly not something my doctor told me about!

That sucks. I've never been a happy perky cheerleader, so this will never be a concern for me, haha.

I have noticed that my PMS is now extreme, and it is a LOT longer than the 2 days it used to be it is more like 2 weeks now. My poor family. And my anxiety is through the roof, I was taking Xanax maybe 1 to 2 times a month now I take it like 3 to 4 times a week. I have an appointment with my PCP next week to discuss all of this and get my 3 month blood work done. Maybe my thyroid is jacked up from all of the weight I lost, that would be nice since it took me 4 years to get my anxiety under control!

Patti

Well this is not easy to talk about, but I sure wish that I had a heads up before surgery. As long as I can remember, I have always had- mild- anxiety issues at times. Also some seasonal 'Winter blues". After vsg I became moody, irritable, anxious, and sleep pattern was totally messed up. I even wound up loosing my job because I wasn't a 'perky cheerleader' like the rest of the girls. Well I finally got in to see my doctor. Come to find out there are a few factors that can affect your anxiety/ mood issues after weight loss surgery. With weight loss, stored estrogen is released from the fat- which can make you moody like when you're pregnant. Also the doctor said that with the weight loss, your body chemistry can change and your old medication may end up being too strong. Sure wish I knew ahead of time to watch out for this! Would have still had the surgery for sure. Just would have liked a heads up to possible prevent all the trouble. Hope this knowledge saves someone else the heartache.

to be rightly honest with you, i wish i would have had alot of head ups about many things. . . like the malabsorption problems, the intolerance to certain foods and drinks, etc. . . but of course i'm very glad i got the surgery and would do it again. . . i even "preach" it whenever i can and do enjoy the compliments i get. . . i just wish they would be a bit more open when talking about things in the seminar and not just focus on the selling points. . . . oh well, such is life

Thank you for your honesty about what you've gone through. It must be tough and sharing with others is very brave of you.

Other than the fist month of weepiness which was attributed to estrogen, I haven't any issues.

EXCEPT ...... You KNEW THAT WAS COMING - RIGHT??? PMS is terrible. It lasts from 2 days prior to about 3 days after my period ends. I'm moody, crampy, and want to eat everything in site. Just like when I was a teenager. Ugh!

Interesting post... I have to say over the last 2-3 mths I have noticed my moods are a little strange... I put it down to work? Hmmmm? Now I wonder...?

my only real problem is malabsorption of Vitamin D (severe) and certain intolerances for food and drinks. . . however, I'm blessed that i had a hysterectomy at 33 years old (50 now) and that i've not had any real moody issues . . . just been myself like always. . .feel really badly for those who are suffering with all this problems though! I can relate with the period thing that is what got me the hysterectomy in the first place! i still wouldn't change anything regarding my sleeve! Still like it!

my only real problem is malabsorption of Vitamin D (severe) and certain intolerances for food and drinks. . . however,

I'm confused, how is there ANY malabsorption of anything? Nothing is changed but the stomach and to the digestive tract beyond it. LACK of Vitamin D rich foods would cause a lower level but AFAIK you can absorb everything and anything just fine as before.

I don't know why it happens, but I've heard of a number of people with problems with malabsorption problems after VSG.

I knew that we malabsorb B12 because of the removal of part of the stomach that produces intrinsic factor, which is necessary for B12 absorption.

There are also a number of people who become Iron deficient. Some have had problems absorbing Protein from food. There is a lot we still don't know about the effects of this surgery.

I'm confused, how is there ANY malabsorption of anything? Nothing is changed but the stomach and to the digestive tract beyond it. LACK of Vitamin D rich foods would cause a lower level but AFAIK you can absorb everything and anything just fine as before.

here is what i found:

Malabsorption of Vitamins and Minerals

One long-term complication of sleeve gastrectomy is difficult or malabsorption of certain Vitamins and minerals. This leads to deficiency of those particular vitamins and minerals, which further causes a number of other disorders. Deficiency of Iron results in anemia and insufficient Vitamin B12 can cause neurologic disorders. Changes in absorption of Calcium, phosphates and oxalates can lead to the formation of kidney stones. Similarly, deficiency of Calcium, phosphates and vitamin D can give rise to various bone diseases.

http://www.buzzle.co...plications.html

heres the website, hope this helps your confusion!

to be rightly honest with you, i wish i would have had alot of head ups about many things. . . like the malabsorption problems, the intolerance to certain foods and drinks, etc. . . but of course i'm very glad i got the surgery and would do it again. . . i even "preach" it whenever i can and do enjoy the compliments i get. . . i just wish they would be a bit more open when talking about things in the seminar and not just focus on the selling points. . . . oh well, such is life

My doctor's office require us to attend a support group and a 3 hour nutritional class which we had to take a signed certificate to their office prior to having a surgery date. The nutrional class and support group coordinator is actually a bypass patient and she tells it like it is. Our support group mets monthly so we do hear about the issues and such and are able to talk to others who experience it. As long as I live in the area, I will be doing these monthly support groups. Of course we have the forum here but it is also nice to actually see and talk to others.