Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve X-ray after several years

Can anyone give me a link to the video (or was it a still pic) of the sleeve immediately post-op and then 3 or 4 years later? I believe what I saw was an xray.

I'm guessing it is just to show how much the sleeve stretches over time. It was not much, but I can't remember and would like to see it again if anyone has the info on it. I think the link was posted here at one time but I have searched and searched for it and can't find it. The video might have been on you tube, but I looked there also and could not find it.

Thanks for any info!!smile.gif

Thanks Tiff! You always come through!

I actually think I ran across this one on you tube, but I thought the title would have something about the '4 years later' in it! That's what I get for not sitting through the whole videorolleyes.gif

Just throwing this out to everyone ...

The stomach looks so much bigger at 4 years. What is the thought on the "not stretching" when it looks so much larger after serveral years?

The stomach looks so much bigger at 4 years. What is the thought on the "not stretching" when it looks so much larger after serveral years?

It does stretch, but imagine how smaller it still is 4 years later than the original stomach. What scares me is that my surgeon uses a 36 fr bougie, i reall don't want my stomach to stretch!

I do have to say that in the side by side comparison, the pic on the right (4 years later) seems to be a little closer up than the other one.

Obviously it got bigger, but I think that comparison is off just a tad.

I agree, it is still WAYYY smaller than the original.

You have to remember it's also very swollen right after the operation, when the first image was taken. Just think back to how little you could eat when you first tried mushy foods - I could barely eat half an egg! Now I can eat 2 eggs.

Wow, that video was great. Hadn't seen it before. Thanks for posting it Tiffkins!!!

You have to remember it's also very swollen right after the operation, when the first image was taken. Just think back to how little you could eat when you first tried mushy foods - I could barely eat half an egg! Now I can eat 2 eggs.

I think that's what worries me ... If swollen post-op wouldn't it appear larger.

I hope the one post is right and the 4 year picture is just closer. (as well as I have done, I am still worried about regain!!)

I hope the one post is right and the 4 year picture is just closer. (as well as I have done, I am still worried about regain!!)

The operation is a stop-gap fix that lasts about 2 years (or less). If you don't change your habits at the end of that time, yeah you'll probably gain all of it back, plus stretch your stomach A LOT.

You paid all that cash and went through that pain for one reason - a lifestyle change. Remember the definition of insanity: Doing the same things, but expecting different results.

There is a max stretch even at 4 years out. I can eat 2-3 times as much as I could at 2-3 months out, and I'm at 20 months post-op. BUT, I've been eating the same amounts for a year. My surgeon believes my stomach is at max capacity. I've been stalking a few 3-4 years out vets over on OH, and they report that they can eat the same amounts they did around 1.5 years.

Because of how the tissue reacts to injury, the swelling is going to shrink the muscular tissue of the stomach instead of it expanding.

There is stretching of the sleeve. How it has been explained to me is similar to a man's trifold leather wallet. Think about when you first purchase that wallet, it's super slender, but over time, many credit cards, receipts, cash, driver license, pictures etc etc stretch that leather wallet out, right???? BUT, there is only so much give. Our sleeves work the same way.

Here is an xray of a normal stomach:

istockphoto_8456752-x-ray-image-of-stomach.jpg

So, by comparison, the 4 yr old sleeve is still considerably smaller than the normal, pre-op stomach.

There is a max stretch even at 4 years out. I can eat 2-3 times as much as I could at 2-3 months out, and I'm at 20 months post-op. BUT, I've been eating the same amounts for a year. My surgeon believes my stomach is at max capacity. I've been stalking a few 3-4 years out vets over on OH, and they report that they can eat the same amounts they did around 1.5 years.

Because of how the tissue reacts to injury, the swelling is going to shrink the muscular tissue of the stomach instead of it expanding.

There is stretching of the sleeve. How it has been explained to me is similar to a man's trifold leather wallet. Think about when you first purchase that wallet, it's super slender, but over time, many credit cards, receipts, cash, driver license, pictures etc etc stretch that leather wallet out, right???? BUT, there is only so much give. Our sleeves work the same way.

Here is an xray of a normal stomach:

istockphoto_8456752-x-ray-image-of-stomach.jpg

So, by comparison, the 4 yr old sleeve is still considerably smaller than the normal, pre-op stomach.

here is the other exray shot to compare with...

post-3718-13813656261957_thumb.png

here is the other exray shot to compare with...

IMO that really isn't all that bad, especially compared to the picture posted by Tiffy. To me it just looks like a sausage rather than an earthworm.

That I can live with. I can't eat very much right now and when I get to my personal goal - I'll want to be able to eat more to maintain. I think I'll do fine myself, even though I know I'm far from perfect where the food types I tend to eat is concerned. I do mostly eat healthy, good foods but there are times I do like to stray a bit. I think that is pretty much normal even on folks who are able to maintain a good healthy weight.

Thanks for posting that video. I had seen another one awhile back of the surgery but this one was much better. So excited for my sleeve :)

No, because what you are seeing is the contrast INSIDE the sleeve--so the swelling of the sleeve constricts the inner diameter of the sleeve and it appears smaller on the xray.

I think that's what worries me ... If swollen post-op wouldn't it appear larger.