Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 months out - AND NO RESTRICTION

Anybody else out there not have restriction after 6 months or so? I never lost weight at the speed others did and my weight loss slowed to a trickle after 3 months and stopped completely at 4 months. Granted, I have not been doing the Protein only "thing", but I really don't feel any restriction. I can't eat as much as I did presurgery, but I can definitely eat a lot more than I thought I would be able to. I am now trying to get back on track and doing 2-3 shakes a day and one low carb meal. I was hoping that I would not have to go back to "dieting" again, but it appears that is where I am at now. On the brighter side, I lost 7 lbs pre-surgery and another 50 or so since surgery and have been able to keep them off for the past 4-5 months without any problem.

Well I think you have done really well myself, but I can understand wanting to boost it along if the scales haven't moved in some time.

I think it just gets harder the smaller we get, and we have to work harder than in the very beginning. When it comes to weight loss I think we do have to find some kind of weight loss eating plan that works for us until we hit goal.

How much CAN you eat, just curious. I definitely know I can eat more now than even one month ago. However, I don't think it's anywhere near what I could even with my band. I get stopped at around 2-3 oz of meat and a few bites of veggies and complex carbs. I'm pretty much DONE after that - my sleeve says so.

You'll get back there, you're doing the right things to get it kick started again. Good luck!! :)

I can easily eat 6 oz Protein and a salad and probably some carbs on top of that. Since surgery I have always been able to eat more than most. I recovered very quickly and never had any of the issues that many report.

Right now I am trying to detox myself from the carbs and go back to a low carb approach. I just think my sleeve "stretched" even though they say it can't.

I didn't hear that it wouldn't stretch at all, only that it doesn't stretch a lot - especially in comparison to the pouch surgeries.

Do you know which size your surgeon used? My stomach was done with a 36 and oversewn to a size 32. Not sure they do any smaller. I imagine the larger size sleeves have more chance of stretching, as there's more stomach TO stretch (not sure if I'm making any sense).

I think the liquid diet your doing and "detox" will definitely help a lot.

Do you know how big your stomach was made? At one year out, I can eat about 3 ounces of steak with a bite or two of salad & maybe 1/4 of a small baked potato. But, that is pushing it just a bit beyond my comfort level.

It may be that your surgeon left your stomach a little larger. If so, it's really not a big deal. As you said, you still eat less than pre-surgery. So, you do have restriction, just not as much as some other seem to have.

Personally, I would not suggest a "diet" or going back to shakes and such. Just go back to the basics of your plan ... Protein first, no drinking before/after, veggies next, 64+ ounces of Fluid daily. That should be enough to get you back on track and losing again. Once you get to maintenance, you can experiment with what you can eat/do to maintain your weightloss. Just a little bit more to go & you've made it! :)

If there is anything positive that I can contribute to you is that in the long run provided you don't slip back to your old ways and sabotage surgery and all your hard work so far, you skin is probably going to thank you, the slower you lose the more it gives it a chance to adjust just make sure that you are doing what's best for you, I eat in the same little bowl I ate and drank from since coming home, that way I can eye things and control my portions, regardless of the size you are controlling what goes in bottom line. Focus on the weight you've left behind, don't get down on yourself and begin that sickening cycle stay strong believe in the sleeve but most important believe in yourself, I am looking at the clothes I was wearing pre-op! WHAT was I thinking, we are beautiful there is no reason to destroy that beauty, you have support here, stick a pic of yourself at your heaviest on your fridge if you have to NEVER forget. Hugs!

I'm 6 months out and even though I can eat much more than at 2-3 months out I still feel a lot of restriction especially when it comes to Proteins like chicken or any meat really even fish. So I am focusing again on the first Protein thing as my weight loss pretty much stopped altogether in the last month or 2. Yesterday I had a piece of salmon about 6 oz (half of what I would eat presurgery as far as protein is concerned) and I could eat a bit more than half of the salmon and then had some veggies. Today I had chicken for lunch and dinner and could manage about 4 oz each time and hardly had any space for anything else, I had about 2 teaspoons of cous-cous. I would say focus on protein and don't drink (I don't drink with my meals now, I did at first) and I'm sure you'll realise that there is still quite a bit of restriction, good luck!

I think it's true to say that everyone is different. While most have a life long restriction there are those that feel no restrictions or very little, you seem to of fallen into that group.

While I was in TJ MX for surgery there was a gal there that had VSG and she was hardly restricted at all, she lost and the regained her weight. She was there for gastric plication to further reduce the size of her sleeve further, I don't know how she came out as she was scheduled after I left to return home.

I remember you posting about this before, and yeah it does seem like you are able to eat more than you should be able to. Have you consulted with your doctor, and what is her/his recommendation for you?

Seems like there ought to be a warranty, right?

I'm almost a year out. I have been able to eat more than others since the early months. I know my sleeve is bigger than others. That said, following the rules of Protein first is the best thing because it's more filling than anything else. I find that I have to really limit my carbs and stick to dense protein. I could eat a lot more than I allow myself if I wanted to but I want to get to my goal. I track everything in myfitnesspal so that I'm realistic about what I'm taking in. I exercise daily.

As an example, today I had: I know others eat a lot less calories.

Calories - 1002

Protein - 119

Carbs - 17

I still have 14 pounds to lose and I'm sad that I won't be there next week, but this is a journey and I'm doing what I can for the best possible outcome.

Hang in there and go back to basics. You'll be fine!

I will be 2 years post op in April and I can eat WAY more than I could a year ago. There is a reason they say that the first 6 months is the honeymoon period.

I definitely have to watch every bite I put in my mouth now. I think our bodies adjust to the small amount of calories we were feeding it for so many months. I think that's why I gain now if I stray from my plan and eat something I am not supposed to eat.

thanks all for your responses. I am pretty sure my surgeon used a 32f. He also fixed a hernia while in there. I am wondering if I have a hernia again and my tummy has 'spread out' in my abdomen making me feel less restriction. I am a little late for my 6 month appt ( I know, naughty, naughty), but when I go in I will talk to him about this. I am going back to the "low-carb" way and see what that does for me. I kind of fell off the wagon after my 3 month appt when my uric acid levels were up. I was really hoping to eat "normal" just not as much, but my volume is way too high.

Mine is a 32, what's yours Mini-Me? That seems to be about what all the doctors in Dallas are doing, some do a 34, and ONE that I know of does a 30.

Do you know how big your stomach was made? At one year out, I can eat about 3 ounces of steak with a bite or two of salad & maybe 1/4 of a small baked potato. But, that is pushing it just a bit beyond my comfort level.

It may be that your surgeon left your stomach a little larger. If so, it's really not a big deal. As you said, you still eat less than pre-surgery. So, you do have restriction, just not as much as some other seem to have.

Personally, I would not suggest a "diet" or going back to shakes and such. Just go back to the basics of your plan ... Protein first, no drinking before/after, veggies next, 64+ ounces of Fluid daily. That should be enough to get you back on track and losing again. Once you get to maintenance, you can experiment with what you can eat/do to maintain your weightloss. Just a little bit more to go & you've made it! :)

My surgeon used a 36, but said it was super tight & the smallest he had made that day (he did 3 sleeves that day). Apparently, I have good anatomy! LOL

My doc told me that 32-38 are all on the small end, and the size does not make that much difference. How we use it makes all the difference. He said the bougie (sp?) is just a guide for the staples and the final sleeve can end up loose or tighter with overstitching.... don't get hung up in the bougie size. His opinion is people who get hung upon the bougie are just looking for an excuse for not doing the other work that needs to be done...that the sleeve is never going to do all the work needed no mater what size it is. I don't know if I entirely agree, but he is the expert.