Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved, waiting on a date...am I doing the right thing?

I've been struggling with severe hypothyroidism for about 8 years. Prior to that, I'd been overweight but it didn't really get out of control until my thyroid went on the fritz. Now we're finally getting a handle on my levels but my metabolism is still shot. All my efforts at losing weight seem to fail. Finally, my endocrinologist told me I would just always struggle with losing weight. At 100+ pounds overweight, I wasn't prepared to live the rest of my life this way, so I decided to look into WLS. To my surprise, I got approved right away (Anthem Blue Cross CA), and the ball started rolling in a matter of weeks. Now I'm worried I'm taking this big step -- a very permanent and drastic step -- and I'm not sure I gave everything else a try. I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I feel like I still could do it on my own if I worked out like a madwoman every day and ate only 800 calories a day. The truth is, I don't want to live that way either!

So many of the wonderful testimonies I've read on this board tell about months, if not years, of working toward getting this surgery. Have I given it enough effort? I tell myself that my surgeon and my insurance and my PCP must feel it is necessary and I've done enough since they're all supportive, but I keep second-guessing them. Do the second-thoughts and self-doubts go away or is this a sign I need to step back and rethink this?

I think we all want to give ourselves another opportunity to do it ourselves, but honestly, I kept doing the same thing, and got the same results. I never had issues losing weight, it was keeping it off that was my toughest issue.

For me, I was tired of riding that rollercoaster of emotions, the up and down, the constant hunger, the working out like crazy, the deprivation without results.

The sleeve gave me the freedom to live a life of moderation and I know without a doubt that another trip to Weight Watchers, or doing Atkins without surgery would have given me the same results I got over the last decade. I'd lose weight, and gain it all back.

You do have to be mentally prepared for all the changes, but it's the best decision I ever made for myself and future health.

I've been struggling with severe hypothyroidism for about 8 years. Prior to that, I'd been overweight but it didn't really get out of control until my thyroid went on the fritz. Now we're finally getting a handle on my levels but my metabolism is still shot. All my efforts at losing weight seem to fail. Finally, my endocrinologist told me I would just always struggle with losing weight. At 100+ pounds overweight, I wasn't prepared to live the rest of my life this way, so I decided to look into WLS. To my surprise, I got approved right away (Anthem Blue Cross CA), and the ball started rolling in a matter of weeks. Now I'm worried I'm taking this big step -- a very permanent and drastic step -- and I'm not sure I gave everything else a try. I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I feel like I still could do it on my own if I worked out like a madwoman every day and ate only 800 calories a day. The truth is, I don't want to live that way either!

So many of the wonderful testimonies I've read on this board tell about months, if not years, of working toward getting this surgery. Have I given it enough effort? I tell myself that my surgeon and my insurance and my PCP must feel it is necessary and I've done enough since they're all supportive, but I keep second-guessing them. Do the second-thoughts and self-doubts go away or is this a sign I need to step back and rethink this?

I think everyone who takes this step is so brave. Im 26 and for the best part of my whole life Ive been on a diet, at a gym, counting my calories, having blood tests, crying on the scales, not looking in the mirror..... Its not a life. I decided in December when I received my referral, I knew I didnt have to use it but I looked in the mirror and was sick of what I saw, and It made me sad because my husband said that this is what he is happy with...but i wasnt... my decision was for me. Dont second guess your self. Map out your future. I sure as sweet want mine to be allot easier than the past has been... good luck with your surgery. And all the best happiness with your future.

Holly.

It's a big decision and no one makes it lightly. We are our own worst critic, we almost never think we do good enough or as much as the next guy. I am sure you have given your best! Good luck with your decision.

I think everyone who takes this step is so brave. Im 26 and for the best part of my whole life Ive been on a diet, at a gym, counting my calories, having blood tests, crying on the scales, not looking in the mirror..... Its not a life. I decided in December when I received my referral, I knew I didnt have to use it but I looked in the mirror and was sick of what I saw, and It made me sad because my husband said that this is what he is happy with...but i wasnt... my decision was for me. Dont second guess your self. Map out your future. I sure as sweet want mine to be allot easier than the past has been... good luck with your surgery. And all the best happiness with your future.

Holly.

I totally feel you on the husband part. My husband said he is happy with me... but he is scared of me getting really sick. When I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in October I think it really scared him. (my aunt has several complications from diabetes that are really horrible and I think he sees me going that way). I think there definitely is feelings of guilt like maybe we could have done something more. But right now with me things seem to be lining up that need to be for me to do this surgery...so I feel like this is the right decision for me.

Like Tiffy said I think there is A LOT of mental preparation you need to do with this surgery. Don't beat yourself up. I think i saw somewhere that it was like 3% of the overweight population actually succeed with diet and exercise alone... so I don't think you are alone. and I definitely do NOT think this is the easy way out. From what I have seen sleevers still gotta work their booties off to lose. The sleeve is there to help them.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I am really working on focusing on this surgery as a tool for success in the overall journey. I can do this!! :)

Stay at the hospital AS LONG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN after surgery. The extra day or two will do wonders for your recovery. Even if you hate hospitals.

Oh yeah, I remember the doubting side of my brain trying to rationalize me out of surgery! While I am older than you, I told myself there was no way I was ever going to do it my own, if I could I would have done it by now. With that said some you said sticks out in my mine, the part about only eating 800 calories and doing it on your own, well yeah you could do that, but let me tell you, you will ALWAYS feel deprived, with this surgery 800 calories is a real job to consume in one day!!!!! Let me tell you, I try to up my calories, but I am so full on what I eat now! I did manage to get up to 700 from 550 this week by adding a Protein shake or and Isopure and and a Protein Bar. The great thing about this surgery is the absolute control I have over food now! I am not kidding you when I have about 2 oz of chicken and I am totally satisfied like I just had a huge meal! Imagine that control!

I am 47, and I just finished writing in another topic that my one and only regret is that this surgery was not around 20 years ago! Can you imagine fighting the head game of 800 calories for more years and never feeling full? This surgery is freedom over food and the ability to be healthy! Honey please don't live the next 20 years of your life the way I live my last 20. overweight, in a constant battle not really living!

I'm right there with you. I'm approved and excited. However, I keep wondering if I could've done it on my own again. And there that word again is what tells me its the right decision. I've lost weight before- over a hundred pounds- and I know I could do it again but keeping it off is a whole other challenge. With using the sleeve as a tool to help lose and maintain I'm hoping I can beat this weight struggle once and for all. I think we need to look at how improved our future can be with this surgery and hopefully won't need to use the word again when talking about weight loss. :)

Good luck to you!