Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site - Intro

Hello all,

My name is Beth and I’m 38. I’m in the early stages of the process, just 2 months into the 6-month pre-op dance. I went to the initial seminar w/ the surgeon in November thinking that I wanted to be banded…but after hearing him talk about the sleeve & reading quite a bit, have come to the conclusion that it may be a better choice for me. I am still not 100% sure, and my doctor doesn’t need a decision until a month prior to surgery so I’ll probably obsess about it until then :). I’ve got to admit I’m a little nervous about having so much of an organ permanently removed…but the more I read, am beginning to accept that this is a safe and effective procedure.

I grew up a chubby kid, despite being incredibly active and involved in every possible sport from age 7 on. My dad was severely obese, was diagnosed with diabetes in his 50’s, and lost his left foot and much of his vision before dying at 65 (I was 23 when he died). Despite his horrible outcome I have spent most of my adult life on the weight rollercoaster, having lost significant amounts of weight (40, 70, and 90 pounds) and kept it off for 2-3 years each time, only to ALWAYS regain. I’ve never been able to understand why I do this…like I’m going along living a healthy life and ‘click’ a switch goes off and I begin to overeat and become a couch potato. Although most people/readings would tell you this is depression, I can honestly say I’ve never felt depressed in the classical sense. In fact I feel pretty happy. But I know without a doubt, that if I don’t do something now, diabetes is right around the bend. In fact 3-4 months ago I was having some symptoms. I had myself checked and thankfully my fasting glucose and A1C were normal…but I know I got lucky!

It’s really hard to admit that I can’t get a handle on my weight, especially since I’ve lost on my own before. I know that this surgery is merely a tool, and it makes me a bit anxious to know that success depends on my mental ability to overcome my desire for unhealthy food. To help get myself pumped up about it, I made a list of the best things this surgery can do for me:

• ability to hike/walk/swim on vacations without limitations or becoming tired
  • keep diabetes away!
  • better sex life
  • if I get below 200#, my doctor will take me off meds for polycystic ovaries
  • no more fast food – oh the money I will save!
  • clothes – love 'em when I’m thinner, hate 'em when I’m fat
  • to bike and jog like I did just 2 years ago – a lot of my social activities revolved around biking with friends

Anyway, thanks for listening. Looking forward to getting some great advice on this site, I’ve been checking it out for the last few nights and finally decided to jump in!

One question I have: I am 5’10” 280# and borderline for eligibility (BMI 40) and I don’t have any co-morbidities. It sounds ridiculous...but if I understand correctly from the surgeon’s nurse, I have to have the 40 BMI at my last weigh-in (one month before surgery) or I may be deemed ineligible for insurance coverage. If that is correct, I need to go to the required classes for 6 months with no intention to really change my weight? Seems silly. Can anyone enlighten me otherwise? Just as an FYI, my weight has been as high as 308 (BMI 44). I feel my most awesome around 180-190.

Hello Doucer, welcome to VST!!!

Well let me be the first to tell you, you have definitely made the right choice in the sleeve! I truly love mine, and I don't regret it once single bit!!

As far as the 6 month dietician appointments, I had to do them before my insurance approved my lap band. I lost a couple pounds at the most, and believe me I really did try to lose weight. It's not that easy without the help. The fact is though you do have to keep yourself from losing too much to get you in the unqualified area.

Good luck!!

Hi Beth!

First of all, consider yourself blessed to have found these boards, and second WELCOME :D. I appreciated you letting us know about your experiences, and I can relate to a large amount of your feelings and happenings growing up. I also had some of the concerns about this "tool" prior to getting my surgery. I have always been overweight, never able to get off any significant amount, and what I did get off would come back, bringing along some more to add to the pile. I was afraid that I would get the sleeve and still be a failure and being a self pay shelling out a large sum of money made that possible failure even more nerve wracking for me. I can tell you that all of my fears prior to the sleeve surgery have been blown out of the Water, and I have never had even one day where I regretted going through with it.

Perhaps others might be of another mindset about the Insurance requirements and the 40 BMI, but my thoughts are that you need to do what is going to benefit you the best and help your health. Making sure you stay at 40 for that last month would be my choice. After your surgery you can start dropping that BMI fast. Sometimes insurance hoops can be ridiculous. They would actually save more money if the obese were no longer obese because a vast majority of comorbidities would clear themselves up.

Again Welcome to the boards and the community here. You should be able to find answers to every question you have, and there is a good sense of camaraderie here.

I read somewhere on this board about wearing ankle weights under their pants to their weigh-insurance to insure they qualified for surgery. Sounds crazy, but wish I thought of that. Do what they say but don't forget to wear your "special ankle jewelry" to your appointments!!! ;-)

Hi Beth!

First of all, consider yourself blessed to have found these boards, and second WELCOME :D. I appreciated you letting us know about your experiences, and I can relate to a large amount of your feelings and happenings growing up. I also had some of the concerns about this "tool" prior to getting my surgery. I have always been overweight, never able to get off any significant amount, and what I did get off would come back, bringing along some more to add to the pile. I was afraid that I would get the sleeve and still be a failure and being a self pay shelling out a large sum of money made that possible failure even more nerve wracking for me. I can tell you that all of my fears prior to the sleeve surgery have been blown out of the Water, and I have never had even one day where I regretted going through with it.

Perhaps others might be of another mindset about the Insurance requirements and the 40 BMI, but my thoughts are that you need to do what is going to benefit you the best and help your health. Making sure you stay at 40 for that last month would be my choice. After your surgery you can start dropping that BMI fast. Sometimes insurance hoops can be ridiculous. They would actually save more money if the obese were no longer obese because a vast majority of comorbidities would clear themselves up.

Again Welcome to the boards and the community here. You should be able to find answers to every question you have, and there is a good sense of camaraderie here.

Thank you Jane! I really appreciate your input. You're quite an inspiration, judging by your ticker. Way to go!

Looks like I'll need to maintain status quo in order to keep that 40. I really do want to start exercising now though, so I don't have to start from square one post-op.

Welcome! Glad you found us.

I'm sure your mind is in a blur with all your choices, "hoops" to jump through, etc. Just take the time to do your research and work with your surgeon to decide what is right for you.

Personally, the band & having a foreign object in me scared the dickin's out of me (plus, I never met a band person who made it to goal). I was totally freaked out by my anatomy changing so bypass was out. The sleeve seemed to make the most sense since I liked to volume eat - especially when I had a craving for something. Tomorrow I will be a year out - I have made goal & basically been here since Thanksgiving. I truley believe this surgery saved my life.

Best wishes for your research. If you have questions, please feel free to post them. We have a very friendly and educated group here.

I read somewhere on this board about wearing ankle weights under their pants to their weigh-insurance to insure they qualified for surgery. Sounds crazy, but wish I thought of that. Do what they say but don't forget to wear your "special ankle jewelry" to your appointments!!! ;-)

Thanks Nikki! Well, I guess I will play whatever game I need to :) I'm sure the nurse wouldn't mind...when she weighed me the first time she asked for my height, I replied 'somewhere between 5'10" and 5'11"...to which she replied in a whisper "I'll just enter 5'10" so your BMI is higher."

Welcome! Glad you found us.

I'm sure your mind is in a blur with all your choices, "hoops" to jump through, etc. Just take the time to do your research and work with your surgeon to decide what is right for you.

Personally, the band & having a foreign object in me scared the dickin's out of me (plus, I never met a band person who made it to goal). I was totally freaked out by my anatomy changing so bypass was out. The sleeve seemed to make the most sense since I liked to volume eat - especially when I had a craving for something. Tomorrow I will be a year out - I have made goal & basically been here since Thanksgiving. I truley believe this surgery saved my life.

Best wishes for your research. If you have questions, please feel free to post them. We have a very friendly and educated group here.

Mini - thank you for sharing. I am having the exact same thought process as you regarding band and bypass. Although the band is 'inert' it would still concern me. And losing the sphincter doesn't seem right either. Although I'm sure others have their reasons for rejecting the sleeve. It's truly an individual decision, isn't it?

Congratulations to you....I am hoping to have as much success!

As far as the insurance goes I am in the same boat. I am five months into my 6 month doctor supervised diet. I also have no co-morbidities so my weight is the only thing qualifying me for surgery. I have about 95 pounds to lose so when I first weighed in I was literally two pounds from being not fat enough. I absolutely could not lose any weight during my 6 month diet and I actually have even gained 3 pounds since I started. I just basically haven't tried to lose but I've been exercising so that I wouldn't gain a lot. I guess I can let you know in about a month how the insurance feels about it!

As far as the insurance goes I am in the same boat. I am five months into my 6 month doctor supervised diet. I also have no co-morbidities so my weight is the only thing qualifying me for surgery. I have about 95 pounds to lose so when I first weighed in I was literally two pounds from being not fat enough. I absolutely could not lose any weight during my 6 month diet and I actually have even gained 3 pounds since I started. I just basically haven't tried to lose but I've been exercising so that I wouldn't gain a lot. I guess I can let you know in about a month how the insurance feels about it!

Yes please do keep me posted on your insurance approval, I'll be curious. I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you as well...wishing you the best.

Beth