Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very embarrassing question....

I'm 4 weeks out from surgery and I'm down (unofficially) 38 lbs. I'm thrilled but I am having a bit of a problem getting my Protein in and food isn't real interesting to me yet so I know I'm not getting enough calories. All that said, I have a kind of embarrassing question....does anyone else have problems with diarrhea about 45 minutes to an hour after eating (either Protein shakes or food)? I'm so hoping this gets better. It's making it hard to stay hydrated. Also, for those of you that maybe had the issue of food not being so interesting.....does that get better?

Thank you for any input!

Some foods. However, when I drink milk, it is like my gut is the Indy 500 with all the noise that it makes and let me tell you when the urge hits, look out. Milk is the only thing that goes straight thru me. Milk products are okay. At one time chicken salad did the same thing. I have not tried that again. What are you eating for you to get to this state?

Are you still on mostly liquids? I remember when I was, it was liquids in - liquids out pretty much...

The ONLY Protein Shakes that gave me that was Unjury for some reason I can't handle anything made by them. GREAT job on the weight lose!!!

It seems to be pretty much anything I eat or drink.....the Protein shakes, Soups, etc. I've ventured into some soft foods and the same thing. The food journal is a good idea. Thanks!

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez's book Successful Weight Loss With The Gastric Sleeve addresses this issue. He notes that this condition is often seen in Gastric Sleeve patients and if it is problematic you should notify your doctor so he can prescribe something. He also notes that you can take Kaopectate but not Immodium unless your doctor okays it.

Hope this helps;-)

Cheri

Gee, I wish I had that problem. I am just the opposite. I am taking miralax just to keep things moving smoothly. :rolleyes:

Ha! I was actually expecting more of that problem so I was a bit surprised in my current situation. :rolleyes:

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez's book Successful Weight Loss With The Gastric Sleeve addresses this issue. He notes that this condition is often seen in Gastric Sleeve patients and if it is problematic you should notify your doctor so he can prescribe something. He also notes that you can take Kaopectate but not Immodium unless your doctor okays it.

Hope this helps;-)

Cheri

Thanks, Cheri. It does help to know it's not an unusual problem! Thanks for the tip!

I found I'm having the exact same problem, when I asked the nurse at the doctor's office today, they basically told me that liquid in, liquid out.....and to wait til I'm on my soft diet and it will improve!

Check the ingredients on the shakes. If one of the ingredients is Sorbitol or one of the other sugar alcohols that could be your culprit. Sorbitol was originally developed to be used as a laxative when they discovered it was a great sweetener