Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Rumor mills are common in my family

I told my mom and a BFF, my aunt and ex husband -- a few cousins and my sisters now know but for the most party I just tell folks I had major hernia repair that restricts my food intake which is really the truth due to the pain - I just don't add that I also had vsg lol

Eventually my gossipy sister will tell more cousins I'm sure

Still on the fence about telling coworkers even the ones who have confided in me with Thier wls n

I also suspect my gossipy aunt has mentioned it to some family friends but I had to tell her cause I live with her and I've taken a month off work so there would be no way I could hide the reason for that

Hi kittychick- I felt the same when I finally decided to start my process of getting the sleeve. ...I told my husband 1st what I was doing and why at 1st he was hesitant but came around. .once I got through all of the testing and NUT appointments and psyc eval I shared with a co worker and come to find out she was doing the same thing with the same dr as me...so we became buddies she had the same feelings of not telling everyone. . I only told my aunt and cousin and swore her to not tell my super opinionated uncle who would pick up the phone and begin to tell me all that I could do to "fix my problem"...I told my dad just last week only because hes older and I knew he would worry and he is already dealing with his own med issues. . so I def understand wher u are coming from. ..

Exactly. I don't want to hear people's opinions on how I could "fix" this problem. I have many obese people in my family who think they are "experts" in the field of reversing obesity lol.

I totally get it Kittychick (sp). I've only told my close friends, my parents, and one of my sisters. The other one can't hold Water and I don't want my business all over social media. I also live across the country from my family so that has mass it somewhat easier. No one at work knows but the rumors that are circulating include bypass surgery.

I always say, "your body, your business". Do what's best for you including not subjecting yourself to unsolicited advice and well intentioned comments.

That is a fabulous expression. My body, my business! Boom.

Rumor mills are common in my family

I told my mom and a BFF, my aunt and ex husband -- a few cousins and my sisters now know but for the most party I just tell folks I had major hernia repair that restricts my food intake which is really the truth due to the pain - I just don't add that I also had vsg lol

Eventually my gossipy sister will tell more cousins I'm sure

Still on the fence about telling coworkers even the ones who have confided in me with Thier wls n

I think the whole rumor mill thing is super prominent in Black families. Then again, that's all I know since I haven't grown up in a white family lol.

I think we all have those "well-meaning" relatives who get overzealous in their advice to the point where it's PUSHING their OPINIONS as "truths". I've never understood that.

Had surgery 1/13/14. Now preparing to go home! I wish everyone the best! Now time to recover!!

Hey KittyChick,

Definitely understand your situation!! Most of my family is very cool and supportive with it, but there are a few haters!! Also, my sister (who had the bypass done 10 years ago) warned me about which family members I should avoid taking about it to. I would think that such a situation which would give you such benefits would be a positive thing all around, but there are always those who choose to doubt!!

'I' support you, so i hope that counts for something!! :)

BTW, I love your reference, because it's so true...Ain't nobody got time for that!!

Your support definitely counts! :D

Kittychick

I read your entire post, twice and not for nothing, but it sounds to me like your still explaining away your decision...and to be honest you are making this decision for YOU & YOU alone. You dont have to explain anything to anyone as long as your comfortable with your decision. I haven't told many people about my surgery because for the first time in a very long time I am making a decision for myself! And I feel like I am the only person that has to be ok with "my" decision. So I say all that to say this...do you! In the south we have a saying "if you like it, I love it!" Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery!

Thank you for that.

And you're right. This is all me. This choice is mine. No one else deserves to critique it. I'm starting to embrace that!

Had surgery 1/13/14. Now preparing to go home! I wish everyone the best! Now time to recover!!

Welcome to the losers bench!!! I hope your have a great recovery. Please allow yourself to rest and remember to sip your Water or other approved fluids.

Hello all! Boy am I glad to have found y'all. I am nearly 6months post op and I am experiencing awful Hair loss. I'm mostly seeing thinning. Have any of you experienced this? Any suggestions?

Hello all! Boy am I glad to have found y'all. I am nearly 6months post op and I am experiencing awful Hair loss. I'm mostly seeing thinning. Have any of you experienced this? Any suggestions?

hair loss is a result of not getting enough of your daily Protein requirements and is reversible. This usually occurs in the first few months post-op after consistently eating too low a protein count. Are you getting at least 60-80 grams of protein a day? Once you up your levels, the hair loss will slow done and stop. You can also take Biotin as a Vitamin supplement to help slow hair loss.

---

I'll be 5 weeks out tomorrow and its a concern of mine cause its been a struggle to get in enough Protein with hernia repair

When did it start for you? I hear it usually lasts from month 3-6 for most but many say growth comes back strong at 7 or 8 months. How much protein are you averaging each day?

My hair is usually in braids so not sure if that's better or worse -- I also plan to cut off my relaxed ends soon as I haven't had a touch up in over 5 months

Biotin and nioxin I hear are good remedies. I've also been massaging my scalp with a mixture of Virgin organic coconut oil (barleans brand) & pure jojoba oil every 2 or 3 days. I've always had some form of hair loss most of my life from relaxer and braiding damage so I won't be surprised if i have some loss at some point in the future due to WLS especially with the struggle to get in enough protein

Hello AA Family! I haven't been posting lately.. But wanted to wish weight loss success in 2014. Newbies are you ready to change your life... This surgery is just what you need to renew yourself! Congrats to those have meet there goal. As for me I have another 85 lbs to go!!!

Pre-op-350

Surgery date- 7/10/13- 339

Today - 265... I'm on my way...

Hello aa sleevers im a newbie my self im still trying to get to the "set a date" part, im in the middle of diet visits which aren't required by my ins. company. any way just glad I found this sight,super informative!!!!! thank god for social media and cant wait 2 b super hottttttttt :D :D :D :D :D