Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Hey ladies. I'm Brandi from NJ. Its been almost a year since surgery and I'm down 120 lbs. I could have lost more but I did have a baby almost 11 weeks ago. Surg was 1/28/13 and my son was born 10/28/13. Crazy right? Remember to take the proper bc method as my pill was not effective after surgery (I did have a rny though) I wish everyone continued success and to those yet to have surgery, good luck!

what I hate to hear that yes babies are a gift but who whats to get pregnant right after wls I refuse to be on any bc however I am 42. I know that means what lol Brandi was that you first child?

Hey ladies. I'm Brandi from NJ. Its been almost a year since surgery and I'm down 120 lbs. I could have lost more but I did have a baby almost 11 weeks ago. Surg was 1/28/13 and my son was born 10/28/13. Crazy right? Remember to take the proper bc method as my pill was not effective after surgery (I did have a rny though) I wish everyone continued success and to those yet to have surgery, good luck!

OMG! Congrats on getting through your pregnancy and having your new baby. You still lost AND had your baby at the same time and that's wonderful! I'm sure it was very hard though. I'm terrified that I'm going to end up pregnant! Even though I would absolutely be ok with it as I have no children and I'll be 36 soon, I still have some things I want to do first. So funny because I was trying for a few years and now I don't want it (right now). I 100% HATE BC though, so I have to figure something out. Thank you for the reminder :)

Edited by back2barb78

Hi everyone. I have finally read all 178 pages and am ready to actively participate! I am 28 years old, 282 pounds and 5' 7". I just met with my Dr. And NUT on 1/7/14 and I have to meet with the NUT for the next 5 months for my insurance to approve so I'm hopeful for a late June/ early July surgery date. I am so inspired and motivated by all of your journeys. I cannot wait to get on the losers bench and no longer feel like the "fat girl." I wish everyone much succes in reaching and maintaining their goals.

Hi everyone. I have finally read all 178 pages and am ready to actively participate! I am 28 years old, 282 pounds and 5' 7". I just met with my Dr. And NUT on 1/7/14 and I have to meet with the NUT for the next 5 months for my insurance to approve so I'm hopeful for a late June/ early July surgery date. I am so inspired and motivated by all of your journeys. I cannot wait to get on the losers bench and no longer feel like the "fat girl." I wish everyone much succes in reaching and maintaining their goals.

Hi Cvladylee,

You and I are in the same boat. I began seeing the nutritionist last month. I'll be a June/July sleever as well. Best wishes! Keep us posted. :D

Hello All!!

I'm about to start my 2 week liver-shrinking diet...however, it seems like it may be pretty manageable, since according to my nutritionist, I can eat...just a very limited amount. Having Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch, but dinner is just a few ounces of food, and no sugar, no starches, no Snacks. Surgery is on the 27th of January, Anyone else on this type of diet?

Hello All!!

I'm about to start my 2 week liver-shrinking diet...however, it seems like it may be pretty manageable, since according to my nutritionist, I can eat...just a very limited amount. Having Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch, but dinner is just a few ounces of food, and no sugar, no starches, no Snacks. Surgery is on the 27th of January, Anyone else on this type of diet?

I'm on this diet right now (have been for a week- surgery is 1/21). I thought it'd be easier than it is. However, I can only have broths / green vegetables / Jello / sf drinks etc. I'm hungry! The Protein shakes fill me up but I still find myself wanting something substantial to chew!

I'm not sure of your work situation but one of the toughest things is smelling food coming from the break room and having coworkers eat around me. I don't have this issue at home but that's a different set of challenges- the food commercials being a major trigger. I have to make an active effort to avoid them!

I have hard days and easy days. Just try to keep your eye on the prize!

Hello All!!

I'm about to start my 2 week liver-shrinking diet...however, it seems like it may be pretty manageable, since according to my nutritionist, I can eat...just a very limited amount. Having Protein Shakes for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is just a few ounces of food, and no sugar, no starches, no Snacks. Surgery is on the 27th of January, Anyone else on this type of diet?

I'm on this diet right now (have been for a week- surgery is 1/21). I thought it'd be easier than it is. However, I can only have broths / green vegetables / Jello / sf drinks etc. I'm hungry! The Protein shakes fill me up but I still find myself wanting something substantial to chew!

I'm not sure of your work situation but one of the toughest things is smelling food coming from the break room and having coworkers eat around me. I don't have this issue at home but that's a different set of challenges- the food commercials being a major trigger. I have to make an active effort to avoid them!

I have hard days and easy days. Just try to keep your eye on the prize!

Yeah, this sounds like what I'll be dealing with as well. Today is day one, and so far it's kinda tough, since I also had my pre-op appointment at the hospital today. Had to be sure to fast for that...couldn't even have the Protein shake!

Thanks for the words of encouragement...and I wish you the very best next week!!! Please keep posting your progress, KittyChick!!!

Yeah, this sounds like what I'll be dealing with as well. Today is day one, and so far it's kinda tough, since I also had my pre-op appointment at the hospital today. Had to be sure to fast for that...couldn't even have the Protein shake!

Thanks for the words of encouragement...and I wish you the very best next week!!! Please keep posting your progress, KittyChick!!!

I wish you the best as well!

I need input & experiences from my fellow AA sleevers...

My surgery is next week in Mexico and I'm incredibly excited. I live in AZ and my little brother (not that little, he's 27) is coming from back East to support me.

At this point, my surgery is a pretty guarded secret (at my request) with regard to my family.

My mom & I are close and I knew she would support me in this (w/o ANY side-eye/shade/negative energy) so she's the first person I told. My brother is the same way. Supports me in all of my decisions and is really just so cool about everything. Other than those two, I've only told a cousin and my brother's girlfriend.

*I've told all my close friends.*

Me & my Mom talked a lot about my aunts and grandmothers (I'm lucky enough to have both maternal and paternal grandparents still alive) and their penchant for judgement, gossiping, and discouragement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really close with them. They come visit me every year and I love having them around.

However, my maternal grandmother's sister had bypass 10 years ago and gained all of her weight back. She's the exact opposite of me- poor eating habits (I'm a vegetarian who eats mostly healthfully but have a night time sugar/carb problem), and she's sedentary as hell.

Before I gained weight this time around, I was working out 2 hrs a day Mon, Tues, Weds, and Fri as well as a 90 min spin class Sat mornings.I loved it! I ate less carbs and more tofu and non starchy veggies...this was a genuine lifestyle change for me (til I had to go on Prednisone-that's another story).

Of course, Auntie did none of this and as expected she gained ALL of the weight back. So now my mom's side of the family has a negative attitude about WLS. There is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that if I tell her about the surgery, she will immediately mention my aunt's failure and exclaim that I will have the same outcome.

Ain't nobody got time for that. #DontWannaHearIt

Now onto the other grandma- she & grandpa came to visit in March. I was strongly considering surgery at that point but didn't mention it. Well coincidentally the subject of surgery came up somehow and she mentioned a woman at her church who'd recently undergone bypass surgery. My grandma was SO negative about it. She went on and on about how surgery doesn't work long term and people never change their habits after surgery, etc. So of course, I was NOT gonna bring up my desire for WLS at that point.

My mom and brother are sworn to secrecy and ultimately I don't plan on telling the rest of the family. Cause basically, telling my grandmothers (who I should mention, live around the corner from one another and are BFF's/gossip buddies) is telling the whole damn family.

I think it's much easier to keep it secret when you live 2000 miles away and I intend to do just that.

I would tell my Dad (we're really close) but he has a tendency to slip up unintentionally lol.

I guess I've been super long winded here but I'd like to hear your experiences with family. Who you told, didn't tell, why, etc.

Edited by KittyChick

Hi kittychick- I felt the same when I finally decided to start my process of getting the sleeve. ...I told my husband 1st what I was doing and why at 1st he was hesitant but came around. .once I got through all of the testing and NUT appointments and psyc eval I shared with a co worker and come to find out she was doing the same thing with the same dr as me...so we became buddies she had the same feelings of not telling everyone. . I only told my aunt and cousin and swore her to not tell my super opinionated uncle who would pick up the phone and begin to tell me all that I could do to "fix my problem"...I told my dad just last week only because hes older and I knew he would worry and he is already dealing with his own med issues. . so I def understand wher u are coming from. ..

I totally get it Kittychick (sp). I've only told my close friends, my parents, and one of my sisters. The other one can't hold Water and I don't want my business all over social media. I also live across the country from my family so that has mass it somewhat easier. No one at work knows but the rumors that are circulating include bypass surgery.

I always say, "your body, your business". Do what's best for you including not subjecting yourself to unsolicited advice and well intentioned comments.

Hey KittyChick,

Definitely understand your situation!! Most of my family is very cool and supportive with it, but there are a few haters!! Also, my sister (who had the bypass done 10 years ago) warned me about which family members I should avoid taking about it to. I would think that such a situation which would give you such benefits would be a positive thing all around, but there are always those who choose to doubt!!

'I' support you, so i hope that counts for something!! :)

BTW, I love your reference, because it's so true...Ain't nobody got time for that!!

Kittychick

I read your entire post, twice and not for nothing, but it sounds to me like your still explaining away your decision...and to be honest you are making this decision for YOU & YOU alone. You dont have to explain anything to anyone as long as your comfortable with your decision. I haven't told many people about my surgery because for the first time in a very long time I am making a decision for myself! And I feel like I am the only person that has to be ok with "my" decision. So I say all that to say this...do you! In the south we have a saying "if you like it, I love it!" Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery!

I have told my best friend and my mother about my decision to have surgery. My mother has been encouraging me to have the surgery for years. She understands and has witnessed my struggle with my weight for some time. She has been my biggest cheerleader (and critic...but I digress ;)). I told my best friend, because I know that I can trust her. A few years back, I was scheduled to have Lap-Band surgery and she was in my corner 100%.

I agree that it is "my" decision to make. That's the main reason that I have not shared with anyone else. I have a church friend who had gastric bypass. The negativity that received and is still receiving is quite appalling. I want to avoid that kind of negative and remain positive about my situation.