Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys.. just wanted to know if there is anyone out there getting the VSG thru Kaiser Permanente in the Bay area?

Also.. whose your doctor? Why did you pick VSG?

I had my case manager appointment yesterday and my Surgery date is on February 15th.

I'm excited! I wanted to know if anyone had this surgery done .. how long did you take off from work? What is the recovery period? What should I expect in the first 2 days after surgery??

Thanks~

Analynn

Hi Analynn! I am getting my sleeve February 22 at kaiser in Fremont. My surgeon is Dr. Eric Hanh. I chose the sleeve myself after extensive research because it seems a lot less dangerous, less risks and less nutritional issues.

Congrats on your decision!!

Where are you having it done at?

I had my surgery at Kaiser Richmond by Dr Fisher

I was originally looking at the lapband but decided on the sleeve. My reasons were, less maintanence, no foreign objects in my body, less invasive then RNY. I also felt the complication rate for lap bands later on was too significant

I was in a lot of pain for the first 3-4 days and took my pain medication reguarly and asked for a refill. Keep in mind i also had a hernia repair so I am sure that affected my recovery.

i tried going back to work after 2 weeks but was too tired and weak.. I ended up taking a month off.

everyone is different though, you could bounce back after a few days if your lucky..

I hope all goes well and wish you the best of luck !!!

LI had surgery at kaiser richmond with Dr. Baggs. Everything went wonderful. I have my 1 month follow up appt tomorrow. I have lost 28 pounds since surgery on dec 13th. After researching the band I decided that there were too many complications and I did not want my intestines rerouted so that left out rny. I went back to work after 2 weeks but I was really tired so did half days the latter part of the 3rd week. Each day and each week I am feeling better and better. There is a kaiser thread under general sleeve discussion with people who have been to richmond or south sf. You should check it out. Good luck!

Hi Analynn,

I'm having surgery next Thursday...I won't lie, I'm super nervous and scared but I know it will all be worth it in the end. I just keep telling myself...this time next week, the worst will be over and I'll be starting my new life. I am having it done with Dr. Li in SSF. I chose the sleeve because the RNY seemed a little scary, and the band just had too many possible complications for me... oh, and I'm taking one week off. Everyone recovers at a different rate, and there are a lot of people on here that bounce back pretty quick and those that take longer. I'm can't take anymore than one week off..so I will have to push through it...

good luck and keep me posted!

Has anyone else had Dr. Li at SSF?

Thank you everyone for all your replies.. they helped me out. I'm having my surgery done at Kaiser Richmond with Dr. Park. I was actually scheduled to have this surgery last year.. but because of personal issues, it was delayed.. I had my casemanager appointment on Wednesday and now I'm set! I have one appointment for my final physical and then a class... I've been waiting for this surgery for a LONG TIME.. and after one of my very good friends got the band and after seeing all the complications shes having with it.. I too decided VSG is the way to go for me. Actually when I spoke to my casemanager she told me i was more on the smaller side and Lap Band would be ideal for someone my size.. but she DOES NOT recommend it due to all the problems they've been having with it. Well..its Friday.. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hi Everyone,

Well I had my surgery on February 15th I weighed in at 182 the next day going home I was down to 176! Its been about 2 months now and my current weight is 153. I've learned the hard way that chewing your food SLOWLY is very important.. I'm wondering how everyone else's surgery went? And how are you doing now?

I did go thru depression right after the surgery.. but after a couple weeks out and then regaining my energy levels back up.. I started feeling better about everything.

I feel soooo much lighter and happier now, I recently started jogging, I went back to Hula and Kickboxing, and I'm pretty much aiming by June I weigh in around the 130"s.. My goal.. 125 or 120 we'll see.

Well I hope everyone is doing good I'd love to hear updates... and tips!

I am going thru Kaiser Richmond and Dr. Fisher is my surgeon. May 9th is my date and I have a nutrition class and physical to do next week.

I am psyched and scared!! I know it will all be worth it when it is said and done. I also have to have hernia repair done and am going to be tore up!

Good job so far LaChica!!!

Kelly :D

I'm going though Kaiser Richmond. I have Dr.Im.

Originally I wanted the lapband, but decided against it mostly because I am scared that I'll be starving and only able to eat a tiny bit, and that seems stupid to have a major surgery and have it not help, like I'm afraid if I did get the band that I wouldn't be successful. That was my biggest fear. Plus Kaiser doesn't do revisions. I haven't had surgery yet. I'm about 7/8 lbs from my pre-op goal weight. None of the other complications really bother me, weird huh. The reason I don't want R&Y is b/c when I get married some day I am going to have cake and I am not going to suffer (dumping syndrome) for it! And my bf doesn't want me to get it cause of the malabsorbtion (sp?) part. Plus the sleeve just seems like a better choice for me. I am still nervous as hell though.

I'm planning on taking a whole month off work since I'm a hair stylist and can't imagine doing my job with no energy. Plus I want the time to really get my new eating habits down, especially with how crazy my work schedule can get. And one of my former coworkers had the R&Y (that's how I found out kaiser did wls) and she had a hard time coming back to work at first.

I am going thru Kaiser Richmond and Dr. Fisher is my surgeon. May 9th is my date and I have a nutrition class and physical to do next week.

I am psyched and scared!! I know it will all be worth it when it is said and done. I also have to have hernia repair done and am going to be tore up!

Good job so far LaChica!!!

Kelly :D

I keep seeing you around the boards and we both have the same date- but I just realized we are both in No CA too! I'll think of you on the 9th! Do you have to do two weeks of liquids before? p.s. I have a hernia to repair too!

Thank you everyone for all your replies.. they helped me out. I'm having my surgery done at Kaiser Richmond with Dr. Park. I was actually scheduled to have this surgery last year.. but because of personal issues, it was delayed.. I had my casemanager appointment on Wednesday and now I'm set! I have one appointment for my final physical and then a class... I've been waiting for this surgery for a LONG TIME.. and after one of my very good friends got the band and after seeing all the complications shes having with it.. I too decided VSG is the way to go for me. Actually when I spoke to my casemanager she told me i was more on the smaller side and Lap Band would be ideal for someone my size.. but she DOES NOT recommend it due to all the problems they've been having with it. Well..its Friday.. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

How did you like Dr. Park? I was scheduled to have my surgeon consult with Dr. Im on June 30, but I called and they had a cancellation so my appointment is now on June 14th with Dr. Park.

How did you like Dr. Park? I was scheduled to have my surgeon consult with Dr. Im on June 30, but I called and they had a cancellation so my appointment is now on June 14th with Dr. Park.

Dr. Park was EXCELLENT- Very clear about everything, answered ALL my questions, very straight and to the point.

I know that she's one of the TOP doctor's there in Richmond for this specific surgery, I read up on her credentials all on Kp.org..

It gave me peace of mind "knowing" i was in professional, safe, good hands :)

Dr. Park was EXCELLENT- Very clear about everything, answered ALL my questions, very straight and to the point.

I know that she's one of the TOP doctor's there in Richmond for this specific surgery, I read up on her credentials all on Kp.org..

It gave me peace of mind "knowing" i was in professional, safe, good hands :)

That's awesome! :) How much weight did she tell you that you had to lose pre-op? I have heard that Dr. Fisher is the most strict when it comes to that.

I'm having surgery with Dr. Bagg on June 15th. He has been great. Kaiser-Richmond does not require a pre-op protien shake fast, although we are required to keep up with our 1200 calories per day. I have been about 80% successful and have lost 15 lbs since April 2010. Good luck to you!

That's awesome! :) How much weight did she tell you that you had to lose pre-op? I have heard that Dr. Fisher is the most strict when it comes to that.