Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post-op // worried about a few things

Hi there, I am Brittany from Abilene Texas. I had surgery (VSG) on December 16thin Fort Worth Texas (about 3 hours away) by Dr. Michael Green. The first 3 days were awful and then I startedfeeling great and did until just a couple of days ago. Now I feel like I cant force myself to eatanything and I am so thirsty but I am having a hard time making myselfdrink. I love ice Water, its absolutelymy favorite drink in the world but I am needing to drink my Protein drinksbefore my water and I can barely get those down. When I finally give up I go to the water andliterally want to chug it but I know better than that so I try not to but Ijust feel like im not in a good spot right now. I have to get this protein in but I need some help and ideas on what todo and how to make my body take it in. My surgeon told me I could move up to the “mush level” this week when I sawhim and I really haven’t tried anything but a scrambled egg which I managed tothrow up earlier so unfortunately that will be off my list for a while. I hate to sound like a whiny butt but I reallyneed some advice if anyone has any. I amgoing back to work Monday and need my energy and I know that comes from foodand supplements, I am also starting my workout program again January 8thand will need lots of protein for that.

I am super excited that I was able to have the surgery and Ihave lost 21 pounds according to my surgeons scales. Any advice you guys couldgive me would be most appreciated.

I am three days ahead of you. I had surgery dec 13th. I have been exhausted but my doc says that's to be expected. I understand how hard it is to get all the Water in. I carry around a water bottle everywhere I go. That has helped but I am still not getting 64oz in. But I'm working on it. Make sure you are taking your Vitamins as well. I had a pureed avocado and it was awesome. Plus I started drinking Vitamin water. Don't know if it will help but I was willing to try anything to get some energy. I am not suposed to have Protein Drinks so I can't be of much help with that!

I used Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar free with Skim milk it is 13 grams of Protein. I add 1/3 c of dry milk which makes it up to 21 gram. I am still not close to getting in all of my fluids in daily but I am meeting my guidelines of the 60 grams. The first few weeks my doctor stress the fluids and then start increasing the protein. I am losing about 3 lbs a week, this may be slower than others but I am still losing and it is not coming back.

I had mine Decmber 17th and am going through the same things. I stay thirsty but do not dare to gulp anything! I just sip on Water all day but I know I am not getting enough fluids. I was trying all different Protein shakes too, I actually just bought the carnation ones as well. They are cheaper and taste good plus they do have a lot of Protein in them when you mix them.

Any of you guys have problems with hearburn? It is the worst part of this whole procedure to me. Also, whoever said something about the eggs, I tried to eat a soft meat too and threw it right back up. I was scared thinking I would never be able to eat normal foods again. Glad to know someone else is having the same issue!

Ashley

I used Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar free with Skim milk it is 13 grams of protein. I add 1/3 c of dry milk which makes it up to 21 gram. I am still not close to getting in all of my fluids in daily but I am meeting my guidelines of the 60 grams. The first few weeks my doctor stress the fluids and then start increasing the protein. I am losing about 3 lbs a week, this may be slower than others but I am still losing and it is not coming back.

To make sure that I get all of my Protein in, I mix Kelloggs K2o in all of my Water all day. It has 5 grams of protein and only 30 calories. I usually drink 3-4 of those a day so while I'm getting my water in I am also getting in an extra 20 grams of protein. I like the lemonade flavor but it also comes in Strawberry-Kiwi and Iced Tea.

I had heartburn one night only, and that was after I gagged up my Multivitamin. Other than that I havent had any problems but I have been taking omeprazole which is fake prilosec everyday in order to avoid it.

Thanks for the responses guys, im going to try the carnation shakes for sure and i just ordered something called spark from advocare which is a drink mix and it has all the Vitamins in it!!!! Im so excited! I'll keep yall posted about it for sure. I also started today some fruit and veggie supplements from juice plus that are chewies that you eat and they give you all your fruits and veggies for the day, now i can save room in my little baby tummy for more Protein and water!

Hope everyone had a wonderful new years. I went to sleep exactly at 12, lololol!

I am 3 weeks post op and just started with heartburn 2 days ago. I can't swallow my prilosec. It's a capsule pill. I tried once and it hurt all the way going down. It says do not crush or open, so I just haven't taken it. How is yours? chewable? liquid? ....

Hi girls!

It is so strange to read all your posts. This is my first time back on here since I had my surgery last February. I read all your posts and I remember all the issues I had back then. The thirst will be an issue for a while because you just can't drink enough volume. I ate a lot of posicles, which helps with the burning thirst sensation. I did however have to have IV fluids after the first few days and I have to tell you I felt sooooo much better after that. It is the dehydration that makes you feel so week and puny. So talk to your doctors and see if maybe they can load you up once or twice to help get you over the hump. Don't try to start exercising until you feel better. There is simply no point in it. Give your body time to adjust. You have basically been in starvation mode since surgery.

Several of you were talking about eggs. eggs are rough on a new sleeve. You probably won't be able to handle them till later. I always had luck with Pasta. I know its not Protein, but in the beginning you will not get all your Protein in no matter how hard you try. Drinking the Isopure (available at GNC/ 40g of protein per bottle) helps a lot for the thirst and the protein.

just rember that this is a huge transition for your body and it will take time. Keep on truckin' sisters!! You can do it! :-)

Plumbum

Sleeved Dr.Acevez 2/12/10

eggs seem to be a problem for most people. I am not sure why.

Sipping warm liquid in the morning relaxes the stomach so it's a good idea to start the day with something warm

like some herbal tea, Kellogs Protein Water is a good way to get some extra Protein and Water at the same time.

On the food thread forum there is a thread that shows where to order samples. The syntrex nectar drinks are pretty good and they are not thick. I like the chocolate truffle and the Twisted cherry.< /p>

For mushies, get some canned chicken and mix with light mayo or miracle whip. Make it pretty soupy. You may only be able to eat 2-3 bites at first. tuna made the same way is another good protein. Take it easy and don't force

if it feels like it's hard going down. It's baby steps in the beginning!

My doctor prescribed a dissolvable prilosec. I had to get a letter of medical necessity for the insurance to pay b/c it is expensive. It dissolves quick no problems, and not so chalky like Vitamins or Calcium.< /p>