Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when does the restriction begin, after the swelling goes down??

I hate writing this, i know i sound like a complainer, but i cant help it. I was sleeved 3 weeks ago, and i lost 10 lbs the 1st week, then 1lb the second week and now i have gained 3 the third week. I started mushies tonight waiting for the brick in the sleeve feeling and it never happened. :( what is wrong with me. i see people losing so much so fast, and i am gaining wt.. I know my protien is up and my carbs are down and my clear fluids are up cause i can drink endless amts of Fluid now. could it be my doctor did this wrong?. I am so worried that i went thru this for nothing... sorry, dont mean to complain, vicki

I haven't been sleeved yet but try not to compare yourself to others, as hard as that may be. You have 70 lbs to lose vs some (including me) have much more. Are you keeping within your dr's guidelines in regards to nutrition and fluids? Good luck.

Well, I can say that I've only had the brick in the stomach feeling once. I ate 5 (really small) homemade turkey meatballs. I had only intended on eating 4. But I popped one in my mouth straight from the oven. Set about serving my family, then sat down with 4 in front of me, forgetting that I had already eaten one. Well as soon as the last one was in there, I started feeling sweaty, hot, uncomfortable. It lasted about 30 mins then I felt better (and didn't throw up..yay)

So from that experience I can tell you that I don't want to feel that again. Everything I eat is basically in about a 2oz portion or less. I generally just get a twinge after eating something that tells me I'm full. I've actually served myself 2oz of something and stopped before finishing because I just feel full. I also will finish my food and not get that twinge, but I have no hunger so there is no reason to eat more. Now is the time to get that Portion Control established as a habit....at least that is what I'm working on.

Also remember you are still in the mushie or soft-solid stage, all of that stuff passes easily through the sleeve. About your stall. I think that is it...just a stall. They suck but they are part of the journey. YOU will keep losing, if you keep doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. I had a 10 day stall after I was out of surgery for 1 week. And it sucked big time. I've had another almost 2 week stall currently. Everyone loses differently, and you didn't do all of this for nothing. Just keep going, eating your Protein, Water, etc. And if you haven't started exercising, walking is highly recommended early post-op. The best part is that it is free.

Hang in there!

Like Cheryl says don't compare yourself to other people. . what size sleeve did your doctor put in there? are you doing dense Proteins ok? ask yourself if your eating as much as before the sleeve. . . are you snacking/grazing? it's great that you can drink lots of fluids, now make sure it's mostly Water or crystal light. . .just be patient as long as you were sleeved you will lose the weight. . good luck:)

I agree with the other posts, but do have some advice- do you actually monitor/measure your fluids/food?, I know that was a big one for me, I was at a stall and decided to go back to my dr guidelines and follow them step by step. Once I did this, I started losing again. Remember that 2 oz is like a 1/4 cup, not 2 oz in weight. I cannot eat more than 1/4 anything or I get "THAT" feeling..ugh its disgusting... I experienced it prolly 4-5 times due to my head telling me I could fit more in there- but my sleeve works by telling me "no you cant!" Hope this helps!

I also think that tracking how much you eat is important to seeing what you are really taking in. I use fatsecret.com, but I know other people use different sites. I like this one because it has an app for my iphone. put in what you are eating to one of these sites and let us know if that was it.

Also did you do your measurements. Sometimes when we can't see weight loss because of building up muscle, then you can see inches lost.

Hormones can also play a part. I know that pre-surgery I gain 5-7 pounds every time the week before my period. I am waiting to see if this still happens post-surgery.

Hope you figure it out, and keep us informed.

vickie, you must not compare yourself to others. This will lead you nowhere except down a negative path. There will *ALWAYS* be someone who will lose faster than you. There are stallers out there who aren't that crazy to post it too. So mostly you will see everyone's great successes.

Do not worry, it will work itself out. Besides if you are 3 weeks out, that is the most notorious week for stalls and gains. It will come back off and then some, promise!!!

Eureka, the whole TOM thing was something I was going to look out for too. I've been through 3 now since surgery, and each time I just go through a weeklong stall. I do not gain, if any no more than a pound. It's pretty nice!!! :o

I hate writing this, i know i sound like a complainer, but i cant help it. I was sleeved 3 weeks ago, and i lost 10 lbs the 1st week, then 1lb the second week and now i have gained 3 the third week. I started mushies tonight waiting for the brick in the sleeve feeling and it never happened. :( what is wrong with me. i see people losing so much so fast, and i am gaining wt.. I know my protien is up and my carbs are down and my clear fluids are up cause i can drink endless amts of Fluid now. could it be my doctor did this wrong?. I am so worried that i went thru this for nothing... sorry, dont mean to complain, vicki

Vicki, you're not alone I thought the same after week 3, but now I'm losing again I've also increased my walking to 45 mins a day. Don't focus on others weight loss it will drive you crazy just focus on following what your surgeon and nutrionist have said and you will do fine. No worries it will get better, chin up.

:)I'm also 3 weeks post op and I was losing so much weight before and now I've really slowed down. I've read alot of people just have stalls, it just depends on your body. So don't get discouraged

Thanks everyone, i talked to my NUT today she said my protien level is excellent and to drop the 300 cal protien shake and start introducing veggies, so i hope that also helps, i have an appt with my surg tomorrow and hopefully he will put me back on my PPI, i feel hungry about every 2 hours, is that normal, and i can eat about a cup of food, isn't that alot...im not sure what normal is anymore, i will be 5 weeks post op on mon. thanks for all your support, vicki :blink:

i feel hungry about every 2 hours, is that normal, and i can eat about a cup of food, isn't that alot...

Vicki, I don't ever feel hungry (at least not like a pre-surgery hungry...I tend to just feel empty, but that is rare, I feel like I could go all day and not eat anything at all!) I'm wondering if the PPI will help with that. Not everyone experiences that loss of hunger.

As for the cup of food, it does seem like a lot, but here is what my NUT told me. Even if your sleeve can HOLD 4oz of food per meal doesn't mean that you should be filling it with 4oz per meal. Make sense? You might be able to hold a cup of food but I would try to cut that back. Also the TYPE of food makes a difference. If it is solid Protein vs. soft food like Soup or yogurt, because the solid more dense Protein is supossed to fill your sleeve up whereas the soft protein can easily slide through.

Vicki, I don't ever feel hungry (at least not like a pre-surgery hungry...I tend to just feel empty, but that is rare, I feel like I could go all day and not eat anything at all!) I'm wondering if the PPI will help with that. Not everyone experiences that loss of hunger.

As for the cup of food, it does seem like a lot, but here is what my NUT told me. Even if your sleeve can HOLD 4oz of food per meal doesn't mean that you should be filling it with 4oz per meal. Make sense? You might be able to hold a cup of food but I would try to cut that back. Also the TYPE of food makes a difference. If it is solid Protein vs. soft food like Soup or yogurt, because the solid more dense Protein is supossed to fill your sleeve up whereas the soft protein can easily slide through.

thanks Mommy, is cottage cheese or chicken salad, egg salad considered dense protien? is that why i could be hungry every 2 hrs

thanks Mommy, is cottage cheese or chicken salad, egg salad considered dense protien? is that why i could be hungry every 2 hrs

Those are soft Proteins, but since you are only 5 weeks out I say it's fair you are still eating those. It's good to be careful around this timeframe. You may not yet be ready for dense Proteins.< /strong>

You might do better with measuring your portions. Maybe measure out half cup portion instead of eating the whole cup if you feel you are eating too much. OUr tummies are very small and you will feel satisfied with that. Also, adding in the veggies will help a lot! They are packed with nutrients and the calories are very low.

I think your hunger does stem from not taking PPI's. I would definitely ask about that.

All the best!

Those are soft Proteins, but since you are only 5 weeks out I say it's fair you are still eating those. It's good to be careful around this timeframe. You may not yet be ready for dense Proteins.< /strong>

You might do better with measuring your portions. Maybe measure out half cup portion instead of eating the whole cup if you feel you are eating too much. OUr tummies are very small and you will feel satisfied with that. Also, adding in the veggies will help a lot! They are packed with nutrients and the calories are very low.

I think your hunger does stem from not taking PPI's. I would definitely ask about that.

All the best!

Thanks Lil for all your help, hopefully they will put me back on the PPI today. Take care, vicki

On day 4 after being sleeved. You guys have helped more than you can imagine.

God bless!

Not sure how to add the ticker...