Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is ready to scream

My surgery is Dec 1. I have been trying to find out how much my out of pocket expense is going to be. The hospital requires payment in full before you can have the surgery. I have called the hospital's insurance dept at least 15 times over the last few days. I have not been able to talk to anyone. I have left several messages, but no one calls back. I know I will not be able to get ahold of anyone next week with the holiday. So frustrating!!!! Plus the require a cashiers check as payment. I have decided to work mon and tues the week of surgery to keep my mind off of surgery. Any suggestions?

Can you walk into their office? I would take a trip there and ask in person so they can't brush me off. Those type of offices drive me nuts.

I have to go to the hospital next tuesday to get blood work done. I didn't even think about going there in person. I guess I will take some time off of work so I can deal with it all.

Is that a common thing, for hospitals to require that? I have had other surgeries before and the hospital always just billed me after. My doctor's office require me to pay $400 before surgery (which is their standard thing, not that amount just for me) .

Yes because it is an elective surgery. I know the 3 main hospitals in my area that do bariatric surgery require payment up front.

Finally I spoke to a person. They are requiring half to be paid upfront. They said my part would be $2700, but that is before aetna's adjustments to negotiated cost of care. From previous experience that can be quite a difference. Less than 2 weeks to go. I start my pre op diet the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Only 3 days of Clear Liquids and 3 to 4 Protein Shakes a day.

I know this is an old post...but trying to find out how much hospital is going to expect from me as well before surgery. What was your deducible?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches