Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you crave any foods, tastes after surgery?

Had surgery last week and now I want to eat scrambled eggs and spices so bad, it is driving me crazy. I keep imagining scrambled eggs with salsa or some kind of seasoning on them. I have always liked eggs, but have never craved them. Do you have any cravings?

Right after surgery, I wanted to eat everything I saw on tv. I wanted Skyline Chili the most, and kept seeing their ads!!! And the XXL chalupa from Taco Bell looked soooo good! I also craved pulled BBQ pork and anything with chocolate. I had dreams about eating all kinds of candy, Cookies, brownies, tacos, and all kinds of food. I had a few different dreams on different nights about eating. In one dream I was stuffing my face then freaked out because I was like, Oh crap, I just had surgery, LOL! I am 6 weeks out now and don't have the cravings as much since I can eat some "REAL" foods now. I think it takes your brain a while to catch up after surgery and to adjust to your new stomach.

Interesting!!!! Do you have true hunger or just cravings? Head hunger?

I was able to eat mushies after week two, but food was a BIG turn off for me to say the least. It was very hard for me to think about food much less eat right after surgery.

Even now I am three months out I remember certain foods that were tasty to me and I think I bet they still are, Nope they are not. I think If I didn't have to eat again I would be happy camper. I KNOW I have to eat, so that's why I do eat. Which to me is kinda sad. I think my taste buds are still off.:( Hopefully that will change SOON!!!

Deb

Oooh! Oooh! Kinda related to your post... when you can have eggs, here's something you should try (unless you're doing it already, kinda sounds like you're creative with them!):

My son made the BEST eggs for me the other day. Sounds plain until you get to the secret ingredient. He just threw some diced tomatoes in a pan to warm them up, loosely scrambled some eggs over them, threw in a few fresh spinach leaves, and salt & peppered them lightly. His secret ingredient? Basil!! I had NO idea basil could ever be so great in eggs but it adds SO much to them. This is such a geeky thing to get excited about LOL... but I've been craving them ever since... think when he rolls his butt out of bed this morning I'm gonna recruit him to do it again. :D

I had "cravings" -- head hunger, whatever you call it -- for certain foods and then when I tasted them, I didn't like them as much anymore -- go figure!

I'm with juliarh on that one. I had cravings but when I was finally able to have the food in question, it wasn't all that exciting. Not to say it tasted badly or anything, but no more food-gasms for me (and that's a good thing).

I find it incredibly more so post op then pre op that I can go back to good mode eating a lot more easily. I mean I'm not perfect by any stretch (though Ive been really good for the last week and a half now) but when I want to go on my marathon being super good, its very easy to do this. Post band it was harder for me than pre-band.

What does all this mean? I really don't know. I guess I'm just not as turned on by food as I once was. I can see a commercial and think, hmmm that looks good - but then not give it a second thought. I guess because I reason that there's no way I can eat an entire portion, making it not worth it to buy it.

I don't even think about dinner until it's dinner time and barely enough time for preparation. I get really excited to think of foods like Salmon and Spinach... it's pretty incredible to me. In fact, I think that's what sounds good for dinner tonight!!! ;o)

Salt. I never liked a lot of salt but I sure do now.

I had no cravings at all at first, food was BLAH!!! Everything tasted terrible! About 5 weeks out I was craving beef, which is not like me since I'm more of a chicken person...my taste buds have semi returned, but not fully.

When I was on liquids only, I craved scrambled eggs and tuna fish. Two things I have never really ate a lot of, but for some reason I just really wanted them. So, you can imagine what my first meals were when I was able to move to mushies! I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. It was wonderful.

It was torture at first everything I ate was like tasting it for the first time. I remember drooling over my first bowl of creamed Soup lol. I kept saying ohhh this is the best can of cream of chicken ever, then when I had an egg for the first time I was like ohhhh this is the best egg ever! Everything I ate was the best ever heheh. I was also avoiding the cooking shows I loved before surgery. I am back and able to watch them and enjoy them again. Take it slow you will make it through each stage and before you know it you are out of the woods and a scrambled egg will become JUSt a scrambled egg again.

and a scrambled egg will become JUSt a scrambled egg again.

Hmmm... I don't know. I'm going to have to disagree here. Pre-op I never even thought about eggs, but since that was one of the first more solid type foods I had post, I just can't get enough! They go down so nice, they taste amazing and they make me feel really good. I'm now addicted to scrambled eggs. I only eat them once a week though, and I can eat 2 of them. I enjoy every single bite like it was my first! LOL :P

lol OK OK so I guess Irene has an egg fetish going on.....whatever floats your boat! HEHE