Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A very interesting evening for me...

Ok, not sure if anyone knows this but I got bit by the sugar demon last weekend. I had some chips over the weekend and it led to some very bad habits and cravings coming back. I'm way too early out to be dealing with this so I had to shut it down quick! This binge did last a few days, but early this week I picked myself back-up and admitted to everyone my shame... :(

It got me no where; I went a whole week without losing any weight. I'm a streaky loser, and I'm at the time of the month where I should be losing the most. So, I knew I'd messed up. The good thing? I didn't gain any! I'm also the type that can gain FAST! So, I guess I didn't hurt myself too much... but still...

For the last few days though, I picked myself up and dusted myself off. I'd refrained from eating anything not on the approved list (Yay Me!!) and with each day my cravings have become less and less. Great!! Those cravings (Head Hunger) are such a nasty beast! I hate it, and to have been free from them for the last two months have been great. I was going to do all liquids starting yesterday, but figured I'd been doing so good for the last few days - why? I did do well yesterday too. I pretty much eat about 82% proteins/fats and 18% Carbs. My carbs also are sure to be high Fiber or from my Veggies. I'm losing extremely well with this make-up.

Last night I felt hungry -- as I did get on my elliptical and burned nearly 500 calories, so that is not abnormal for me. I made myself a tiny bowl of Cereal with 1% Milk. I've done this before, so to me it really was no big deal. I don't like to eat anything heavy right before bed time.

However...

Once I'd finished my cereal I knew something was dreadfully wrong. My stomach immediately let me know it was not happy. I felt nausea, which I hadn't felt much of since the first few weeks post op surgery. I just decided to put all my stuff away and head to bed early. I laid down and fell right to sleep. Then a few hours later I woke up with such a terrible pain in my stomach!! I knew what it was, but for some reason it was far worse than any I'd ever felt!!! I waited a few minutes, and during that time I had to catch my breath the pain was so awful. I finally headed to the bathroom and waited it out. (I'll try not to be too graphic here)... So, I "dumped" a few times and began to feel so freaken terrible I had to go back and lay down. I felt like I wanted to faint, my heart was racing and I was drenched in a cold sweat. I had to just lay on the bed all twisted up, I couldn't even move. I seriously thought I was going to pass away right there. :(

Well, after about 15 minutes of that - the awful feeling subsided but the stomach cramps did continue. I had to keep heading to the bathroom practically all night long. It was such a surprise!! No worries though, I actually feel fine now.

So that was the fugly... What have I learned from that? NO CEREAL EVER AGAIN!!! OMG, it was the WORST FEELING I'd ever felt in my entire life. Ya know I did feel minor traces of that with the chips I ate last weekend too. So... to avoid anything to that magnitude again, I do believe I'm staying away from anything like that. Ack!!

Okay so quickly now to the Good... because this story is already loooong... LOL!! This morning I'm down 2.4 Lbs.

AND

I'm FINALLY out of the 40 BMI's!!!! WHOOHOOOOO!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Have a great weekend everyone!! I know I will... and for today I REALL AM going on liquids. But for today only. My stomach needs to rest.

Wow Lil. That must have been scary! Glad your feeling better this morning.

I did that with ice cream. Not a fun feeling at all. Glad you made it through and that it, um .... "flushed" out your system. Gotta love that 2.4 pound drop!!!!!

I am down to 132 even this morning. Only 7 pounds to go on the Holiday Challenge!!!!

I did that with ice cream. Not a fun feeling at all. Glad you made it through and that it, um .... "flushed" out your system. Gotta love that 2.4 pound drop!!!!!

I am down to 132 even this morning. Only 7 pounds to go on the Holiday Challenge!!!!

Hehe! Yeah the 2.4 Lbs was the only good to come out of it... I've always had issues with Ice Cream. I wouldn't dare touch it now!! OMG... it was so awful...

and WHOOOHOOOO!!! That is really great mini!! You're a super lightweight too, so you're rockin it!! :D

OMG! that same thing happened to me last week! Only it was for 1 hour straight! I was having chills and shakes as well. But could not get up for an hour! Not even sure what i ate as i'm still on mushies and eat the same thing everyday! the next morning, I was down 3 pounds! there is some good to come out!!!

Patti

Hey Patti, it's nice to know I'm not the only one this happened to. When I was going through it I was really terrified. I mean, I can laugh about it now and I do suspect it was the milk and the carbs in the cereal. It was just cheerios but still. I believe they're made out of corn, but I'm not too sure. Since surgery I've had a little upset stomachs over potatoes and corn - and now it's looking like milk too. I've always had a twinge of lactose intolerance, but nothing like that - ever.

I too had the shakes, and my knees just fell out beneath me when I flopped on my bed. My head was really dizzy and my whole body was drenched in sweat.

I'm all glad to be down the 2.4 Lbs... but the means to get there... YIKES!!! :o

LOL!!

OMG i would totally freak out if I had a reaction like that. I am glad you were able to stay calm though that had to be a long sucky night! I say hold off on the cereal/milk for a bit longer, you sure as heck dont want to experience that crap again.

Good job on the pulling up your boot straps and getting away from the junk food. I know you inspired me to get rid of the candy last week and move forward too. DANG HALLOWEEN lol.

I did realize something yesterday though...I haven't had a donut since pre-op and that in itself is a freaking miracle for me. I always love donuts and I have even taken my boys to get a donut 4-5 times over the last three months and I did not get one! YAYA.

It is these small things we are accomplishing that we have to recognize and it helps us be more aware of old habits creeping back in doesn't it?

Hey Irene -- so sorry you went through this -- but I'm really glad it had a happy ending. I was slightly lactose intolerant before surgery and now am REALLY lactose intolerant -- won't go near the stuff. It will just come out really fast (I know, I know - TMI). And good for you to recognize that you were getting back into some bad habits. Let us know how your liquid diet goes. Feel better soon!

OMG - My stomach just did a flip flop reading your story - how horrible! I am slightly lactose intolerant now (pre-surgery) and am really afraid of what will happen after surgery! I actually like Protein shakes now - but with skim milk or half water/half skim. I pray I don't go completely lactose intolerant after surgery! How do you do with other dairy products - cheese, cottage cheese etc?

I will wait a while after surgery to give milk a try, I never want to go through what you described. I am sure glad you are feeling better and on the right track again!

Kimrolleyes.gif

OMG I haven't had surgery yet but I better read more about this dumping thing..I heard about it but I better read more. Sorry this happened to you but GLAD you lost the weight!!! Here in Texas we have grocery stores called HEB and they make a lactose free milk that tastes JUST LIKE REAL milk! MOOTOPIA and it is high in Protein. I've purchased it for years because my daughter is lactose intolerant and my whole family drinks it. You can't tell the difference.

Yikes! I made a similar mistake, but with quantity rather than a certain food the other day. We went out with my boyfriend's friends who don't know about my VSG, and I always get self-conscious in those situations and often end up overeating - whether consciously or subconsciously. I had 4 BBQ wings and quite a bit of mixed greens - normally, I would've just stopped here. But then for whatever reason I decided to order dessert so that these people wouldn't think I was anorexic. Normally, my boyfriend and I would split one, but he ordered his own and was so stuffed he couldn't even finish that one. I don't even know why, but I proceeded to eat my entire dessert. I felt more or less ok until we got up to leave and then I barely made it home! I was actually worried I'd vomit on the sidewalk. I also had to go to the washroom and drop a big one (lol), but even after that I still felt terrible! I had to lie down and every time I moved for the next hour, I'd feel this ache in my stomach. I didn't feel like getting up or even reading a magazine until an hour had passed! It was brutal. It was the first time it's happened in a long time, I'd say at least a month and a half, so I was pretty mad at myself for overeating so blatantly when I've been so good with portions for such a long time!

OMG. That does not sound fun at all. I was worried about that happening, but I had a small bowl of Cereal the other day and it turned out okay.

I have a confession to make, too: I totally had some ice cream. Several times. I had about 1/3 of a cup each time, maybe less. Do I get points for eating the sugar free ice cream though?

Damn you, sweet tooth!!

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about this. It sounds just miserable! I did want to thank you for sharing it, though, because if it happens to me, I'll freak out a little less (I am still pre-op and trying to learn everything I can about what to expect post-op). I wonder if Lactaid or something would help?

Thanks all for the well wishes. So far so good! I only had coffee, Water and some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup today. I'm feeling fine at this point. :)

mp8, congrats on the no donuts!! Stay away from them as long as you can... LOL :)

To anyone who was lactose intolerant pre-surgery... beware! It might not even hit right away, but when it does... WOWZAAA!!! :unsure: I might stay away from milk entirely now. That was just awful. However the moootopia does sound interesting. I've tried Silk before but it was nasty. LOL

As far as dairy products, I've not had one single issue. cheese or yogurts seem ok so far. I never eat Cottage cheese, so I'm not sure about that one. I haven't tried Ice Cream, but since that always upset my stomach the most pre-surgery I almost cringe about trying it now! OmG... which can't be such a bad thing. I hear that's the easiest to get down and so full of sugar and calories. No harm done there.

Fleur, yes at least is was the SF type. I still eat my SF Fudgesicles when I feel the need. No biggie.

BBJ, I'm positive it was the sugar in your dessert. I noticed in the few times I'd indulged in sugar I really didn't feel that great after. After last nights episode, I really REALLY don't want anything to do with all that anymore... aughh!!

Lila, I'm so scared to go through that again, I'll not even experiment with Lactaid or whatever... ;o)

Oh that does sound awful. Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm glad you can look back and *laugh* at it now. Ugh.

I know my NUT said if something does NOT agree with you, just wait a while and try it again, maybe you could try almond milk or something similar since you didn't enjoy the silk. It sounds so horrible, I'm sure if it was me I would be waiting a really good long time! :(

I have to admit that cereal is one of my BIGGEST weaknesses. Sugared or not I used to eat handfuls straight from the box (really bad habit, since it is hard to tell how much you are eating when you do that), so I *know* it is going to be my kryptonite, that and ice cream. Those 2 things are something that I can easily overeat the amount of! :cake: