Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

The first little while you lose weight inspite of yourself physically, that part is tricky emotionally. I have to work harder for my weight loss then I used to, but I have laid a good groundwork for myself and have NO DOUBT that I will reach my goal. I had dieted and done every other damn way to lose weight and got to a place that even when I'd show up to weight watchers meetings I knew that I wasn't going to make any progress, I don't feel that way anymore. I trust myself and you will learn to as well. Stay focused. We don't have to be the average C students, we are rockstars!!!!

<br /><br /><br />

Oh how I wish this were true for me, but it isn't. I track every single morsel that goes in my mouth, I keep my carbs lower than low, and my food choices pristine. Yet, I'm not losing weight. The party line of VSG is that on such low calories it is impossible not to lose weight. Well, here I am. I exercise 5 days a week, 30 minutes elliptical, full weights rotation. I eat 80+ grams Protein, 10-20 grams carbs, 60-90 ounces Water, every day. Not only have I stopped losing weight (a month without loss), but I have gained. I do not eat bread, potatoes, rice, grains, etc. I am supposed to be on 600 calories a day.

fROM WHAT i UNDERSTAND, SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO EAT A FEW HUNDRED MORE CALORIES FOR A BI TO BREAK YOUR STALL. SORRY FOR CAPS, TYPING IN DARK!

I learned something at the most recent presentation my doctor gave (I am required to go to two and this was my second.)

He said that you have to see that the recommended weight for most people, based on those insurance tables, is usually 10-20 pounds heavier than their real ideal. So that when you calculate 65% of excess it is really a lot closr to your gola than you may think. Based on the tables, I should lose 150 pounds. The reality is, my goal, and the weight I was very happy with for all the years before all my accidents precipitated a huge weight gain, is to lose 115. Well, the 65% I am projected to lose is of the weight table goal, so is 65% of 150 = 98 pounds- a lot closer to my actual goal than you might think when you think of 65%.

Also, that is an AVERAGE. And that includes the people who don't comply with the recommendations and eat around their sleeve as soon as they can.

Know that we all have a great tool right here on VST that will put us all in the higher percentage...for sure!

Well, it won't be the first nutritionist saying non-supportive things. It never ceases to amaze me why we were required to see these people. I was given info that was just flat false by one at a majir hospital and plenty happy that I questioned what she had to say. I think I've learned more on this forum than anywhere else. Averages are just that...averages.

It has been a while since I have logged on... and I just had my 4th month post op visit with my doctor/nutritionist. I have lost 43 pounds in total and am so EXCITED! I feel great!!

Now, I am a little bit concerned because the NUT said that I am about 50%. He said most gastric sleeve patients lose 65% of their excess weight. So, that would mean, if I weighed 100 pounds over my IDEAL weight then I am expected to lose about 65 pounds and they consider that to be the norm. NOW, I want to lose the 100 pounds that I am over weight by -- but the NUT made me feel like that was not typical and went one to say that when one is heavy it takes more energy and therefore you lose more weight but once you have lost about 65% of the excess weight it is more difficult... So, is he trying to discourage me or, well, I don't know?

So, those of you who have had the surgery and are at the 1 year mark -- did you lose ALL your excess weight or was it the 65% of the EXCESS weight that my NUT was talking about?

Hi, I lost all of it, mostly in the 1st 12 months, stabalising at 18 months. That was a loss of about 120lbs, close to half my body weight from preop highest. I did this by essentially eating an Atkins type diet which worked very well for me.

So don't let your doctor worry you.

Jane xx

I am a new newbie :) I am hoping to have my surgery in December, so excited and still lots of little questions. Can you tell me about the day of surgery, what you experienced, did you have to have catheters, drain tubes etc. I have never had a surgery before other than childbirth, so that part is what freaks me out more that anything. I am having the laprascopic sleeve. Any other details you want to share would be great, pain levels etc.

Are we going to experience ups and downs? I actually lost a total of 20 lbs pre- and post-op and then I get on the scale Saturday night and had gained back 1/2 pound. Then today I get on scale and another pound up??? What's up with that? I'm still not on solids since its only 10 or 11 days post-op.

Are we going to experience ups and downs? I actually lost a total of 20 lbs pre- and post-op and then I get on the scale Saturday night and had gained back 1/2 pound. Then today I get on scale and another pound up??? What's up with that? I'm still not on solids since its only 10 or 11 days post-op.

Ooh, I hate that sort of thing, and it happens all the time! Bodies are strange things. scales are also strange things. When you combine the two, sometimes you get readings that seem completely WRONG!

Your weight may fluctuate a lot--according to how much salt you eat, where you are in the monthly hormonal cycle, how much Water you drank, when your last BM was, etc. And your scale is subject to the physical limitations of a machine. :rolleyes:Let me tell you what happened to me this morning! I got up and weighed as usual. Did not put a single thing in my mouth. Sat down, got busy at the computer. Two hours later, I got up and, just for a lark, got back on the scale. It was 2 pounds higher!!! All I had done was sit on my butt for 2 hours, and the scale registered a 2-pound gain. I had to laugh...

So, my advice is to weigh once a week, don't freak about the small, daily, or hourly, ups and downs, and live your life. Scale, schmale...it's a good tool, but don't give it the power to make you crazy!

Best--

Meg

Ooh, I hate that sort of thing, and it happens all the time! Bodies are strange things. scales are also strange things. When you combine the two, sometimes you get readings that seem completely WRONG!

Your weight may fluctuate a lot--according to how much salt you eat, where you are in the monthly hormonal cycle, how much Water you drank, when your last BM was, etc. And your scale is subject to the physical limitations of a machine. :rolleyes:Let me tell you what happened to me this morning! I got up and weighed as usual. Did not put a single thing in my mouth. Sat down, got busy at the computer. Two hours later, I got up and, just for a lark, got back on the scale. It was 2 pounds higher!!! All I had done was sit on my butt for 2 hours, and the scale registered a 2-pound gain. I had to laugh...

So, my advice is to weigh once a week, don't freak about the small, daily, or hourly, ups and downs, and live your life. Scale, schmale...it's a good tool, but don't give it the power to make you crazy!

Best--

Meg

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! You will do very well in your journey. :)

My sleeve was done April 4th, 2011. I've lost 45lbs since the surgery with little effort, 60lbs if you count the pre-surgery diet. I'm just now starting to exercise on the treadmill so hopefully that will make me lose some more. I think it just varies based on the person and their activity levels and diet.

<br /><br /><br />

Oh how I wish this were true for me, but it isn't. I track every single morsel that goes in my mouth, I keep my carbs lower than low, and my food choices pristine. Yet, I'm not losing weight. The party line of VSG is that on such low calories it is impossible not to lose weight. Well, here I am. I exercise 5 days a week, 30 minutes elliptical, full weights rotation. I eat 80+ grams Protein, 10-20 grams carbs, 60-90 ounces Water, every day. Not only have I stopped losing weight (a month without loss), but I have gained. I do not eat bread, potatoes, rice, grains, etc. I am supposed to be on 600 calories a day.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS CHANGED BECAUSE I FEAR I WILL BE THE SAME... I THINK MY SWITCH IS ALREADY SWITCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a new newbie :) I am hoping to have my surgery in December, so excited and still lots of little questions. Can you tell me about the day of surgery, what you experienced, did you have to have catheters, drain tubes etc. I have never had a surgery before other than childbirth, so that part is what freaks me out more that anything. I am having the laprascopic sleeve. Any other details you want to share would be great, pain levels etc.

I'm no expert...but I had my surgery almost exactly a year ago. I've lost about 95 pounds since then, which is far over the 65% your doctor is talking about, any my surgeon is very happy with it (or, he has been. I go to see him Thursday, get nervous everytime even though he is amazing). I do get really nervous sometimes about how I'm not as carfeul as I should be with planning meals and counting carbs, etc...but I try to work out three days a week and have a higher awareness of what I'm eating. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to visit forums like this to get ideas...sometimes I get really freaked out about the amount I can eat now over what I could eat 6 months ago...and then I realize I'm aware of it and that's a good place to be. Anyone else have that fear?

My surgery went very well. I had never had any type of major surgery. My surgeon was two hours late, so I was a little jumpy to say the least, but the techs and everyone around were very good and I had no problems. I am claustrophobic, so waking up with the O2 mask on freaked me out, but I finally convinced them to take it off, give me a nasal cannula, and some pain meds...I was good to go :D I had a good hospital stay, the doctor was in several times to see me. I had two different pain meds, a monitored self-administered morphine drip and then one given by the nurses. No catheter...in fact they got me out of bed as soon as I was in a room and I walked to the bathroom. Looking back, it honestly couldn't have gone any better. The pain after the surgery once I got home was also very manageable...I actually was doing TOO much for awhile and had to relax. DRINK YOUR WATER! that's the most important advice I have. DRINK YOUR Water. Dehydration is horrible.

Hey I'm 6 months out and have lossed 72 pounds... I have only 36 more pounds before reaching my goal weight. Let me encourage all of you, not to let doctors or anyone elses opinion to be the last one you rely on... Yes there are factors to consider but yours is the one that drives what you can do! Be encouraged!

I am very envious of all of you, that have already excelled at this endeavor. I do admit, that I am a bit scared of failure. My surgery is scheduled for aug 16. My daughter's bridal shower is aug 21. I hope I will be able to attend!

I am four months out and have lost 75 lbs. I hope to lose 160 in total so am close to half-way there. I know the loss slows down after the initial few months so I am also concerned I won't hit my goal. My NP said that I won't lose much after the first year and I had better start exercising so I don't get upset with myself at the year mark that I could have done more. I just got the Leslie Sansone walking video and will try that this weekend.

Ginabill, I had my surgery and could have driven two days later if need be. I tried to take it easy for my own healing as I have a tendency to rush things, but really felt fine. My suggestion would be to start walking as soon as you get back to your hospital room. I was up and walking a few hours after surgery - up and down the halls. I never had that pain in my shoulder or neck from the gas and was able to get around fine...