Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

I have not had the surgery yet so I cannot say what will or might happen. However I have viewed hours of You Tube - Vertical Sleeve posters videos and I have not seen one yet that the poster said they have not lost all weight. I would be interested in the comments of those who have had the VGS for a year or longer too. I am still in the process of deciding which to choose, the replies could be the deciding factors.

Stephanie

It has been a while since I have logged on... and I just had my 4th month post op visit with my doctor/nutritionist. I have lost 43 pounds in total and am so EXCITED! I feel great!!

Now, I am a little bit concerned because the NUT said that I am about 50%. He said most gastric sleeve patients lose 65% of their excess weight. So, that would mean, if I weighed 100 pounds over my IDEAL weight then I am expected to lose about 65 pounds and they consider that to be the norm. NOW, I want to lose the 100 pounds that I am over weight by -- but the NUT made me feel like that was not typical and went one to say that when one is heavy it takes more energy and therefore you lose more weight but once you have lost about 65% of the excess weight it is more difficult... So, is he trying to discourage me or, well, I don't know?

So, those of you who have had the surgery and are at the 1 year mark -- did you lose ALL your excess weight or was it the 65% of the EXCESS weight that my NUT was talking about?

It has been a while since I have logged on... and I just had my 4th month post op visit with my doctor/nutritionist. I have lost 43 pounds in total and am so EXCITED! I feel great!!

Now, I am a little bit concerned because the NUT said that I am about 50%. He said most gastric sleeve patients lose 65% of their excess weight. So, that would mean, if I weighed 100 pounds over my IDEAL weight then I am expected to lose about 65 pounds and they consider that to be the norm. NOW, I want to lose the 100 pounds that I am over weight by -- but the NUT made me feel like that was not typical and went one to say that when one is heavy it takes more energy and therefore you lose more weight but once you have lost about 65% of the excess weight it is more difficult... So, is he trying to discourage me or, well, I don't know?

So, those of you who have had the surgery and are at the 1 year mark -- did you lose ALL your excess weight or was it the 65% of the EXCESS weight that my NUT was talking about?

I had surgery five months ago TODAY and hit my surgeon's goal last week!!! I'm below HIS goal now and only a couple of lbs away from my goal...I want a five lb cushion. I've lost ALL my excess weight, I weight what I did in the ninth grade - LESS than I did when I got married. I'm wearing a size eight! I couldn't be happier. Not one second of buyers remorse or regret - it's been disgustingly easy. Like Tiffany or someone said, I've followed the doctor's rules and eat Protein first. I get in at a minimum, 57 mg a day, and sometimes all the way up to 80. Good luck....I'm certain you will lose 100% of what you want to lose! I can't believe someone on the medical team would be discouraging at all. Where are the "cheerleaders"??? I know there are statistics, but they should be followed up with.....BUT!!!!

It seems a lot of people lose all their excess weight, and then some (my hope for myself). The stats are for five years out from surgery and probably include bounce-back weight, the 10-30% that people regain, which seems to be a factor at about the three-year mark. I think a lot of the bounce-back occurs in the RNY community, but is reported among sleevers too. Some people have even said they want to get under goal so that when/if the bounce-back occurs they'll still be at goal. It worries me a lot, but there are many, many long-timers on this board and OH who have NOT experienced bounce-back. I think we have to be vigilant, aware of what we're eating, avoid allowing old eating habits (refined carbs, anyone?) from creeping back in, and remember where we came from and why we did this in the first place.

I am a new newbie :) I am hoping to have my surgery in December, so excited and still lots of little questions. Can you tell me about the day of surgery, what you experienced, did you have to have catheters, drain tubes etc. I have never had a surgery before other than childbirth, so that part is what freaks me out more that anything. I am having the laprascopic sleeve. Any other details you want to share would be great, pain levels etc.

Well Im sure you already relize that every one's experence is a little different as far as mine goes it was going ok untill I was told I had to drink this purple stuff then go get an exray. They didn't happen to tell me I also had to drink this clear stuff (during the exray) which I didn't think it was possible but it tasted worst then the purple. The poor girl I went with threwup as soon as she was done. I waited till we got back to the recovery house. Now Im not sure if every one has to have this exray but because my surgery was In Mexico it's something you have to do before they release you. When I got back to the recovery house they took me up to my room to take out my drain tube which dind't realy hurt just felt werd. Just remember to take a deep breath in and then out when they pul it out. Unfortunaly they took out 2 of my 3 stiches at the site so I have quite a big scare ,as far as how I felt when I got home it felt as if someone had sliced me acrosed the chest put a bowling ball on my chest and closed me up, by the 3 rd day the weight on my chest was cut in half and was total gone by 2 wks. I am only in 4 wks. with my sleeve and have months to go till Im normal again but hope this helps.

I am 13 months out from my VSG almost to the day. I have lost OVER 150lbs. I weighed 319 and now I am at about 165. Your doctor will tell you that because statistically that is true. Problem is many people have this surgery and do not change their life style that much. My recomendation is that at about 4 or 5 months if you really want to lose you need to start increasing your physical activity. I would not worry about stopping losing weight...I was panicked about that all year but i am STILL losing weight (another issue for another thread). The point is, dont worry...usually people lose for about a year. I would be shocked if you did not lose way more than what your doc said. ...I did.

Good luck!

EVERYONE is DIFFERENT! I only lost 10 pounds the first month, while someone else I know lost 20 the first week.

Hi sleeve, do u ever wonder if its the sleeve or the diet making you lose weight, i am wondering, cause anyone who doesnt eat food for 2 wks is gonna lose wt.... i am losing very slow too and at a stall so i was just wondering what your take is on it .....thank so much vicki :)

I met with a nurse today (having surgery next week!). She said "average" for the first month is 5-10 lbs....BUT then she said most people she sees far exceed that the first month. So...it is JUST averages. Don't get discouraged. :)

Sorry but that nurse is correct, Im one week out of surgery and I lost a total of 16 lbs. You can't eat at all the first week its just liquids only so you cant help to loose weight. --leslie

Hi newbie! I am a newbie too...my VSG surgery was Monday, November 22nd. My expectation was for the surgery to be the same as having my tubes tied (as far as pain goes) The surgical incisions seem to be exact for the laproscopic procedure. The only difference I am experiencing is excessive gas in my abdomen. I needed pain meds for the first day...which helped me sleep. By the second day I didn't need any pain meds. I wasn't feeling any pain...just pressure from gas.

I learned quickly that walking as much as I can relieves most of the gas. I have also had a lot of success with lying on my side and my husband rubbing my back and patting me (like burping a baby). I am on day 4, I am drinking well without pressure on my stomach and chest.

What I have learned since surgery...water goes down better than anything. If you need to drink a fruit drink (grape juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, orange juice) just Water it down really well...it seemed to give me heartburn if I didn't. I tried drinking crystal light and it didn't work very well (it made my mouth and throat feel dry). I made it through Thanksgiving dinner without feeling hungry or having the smell make me nauseous.

Oh the first day every time I moved I felt nauseated...my wonderful nurse, Debbie, (from Herrin Hospital) gave me alcohol pads to place under my nose. When I smelled them my nausea went away...It was wonderful. I haven't needed that since early the second day, but it was a wonderful feeling to have that go away so fast (if it doesn't work well, then take deep breaths into your nose and exhale slowly out of your mouth).

Another great thing Deb did for me... On the first day after surgery I couldn't have anything to drink. My mouth was really dry. The hospital has these lemon swabs that you can wipe your mouth out with. My nurse froze them, it was so good and refreshing.

Remember what your physician tells you about what you can and cannot do...and be your own advocate in the hospital and everyday. I had one nurse who wasn't on the same page as the others. He brought me straws when I wasn't supposed to drink out of a straw. He did not Water my fruit juice down (how I found out about the heartburn feeling). But for the most part everyone is great.

My husband asked me on the first day after surgery, if I would choose to do it again now that I know what it feels like? I told him I didn't know on that first day, but on day 2- I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think when I feel a little bit of pain, I get scared that it isn't going to go away...It did and I am doing great.

Keep in mind that everyone doesn't feel pain the same way and many of the people from my support group said they weren't in any pain at all. However, I am a big baby.

Good luck with your surgery and don't worry...it will be fine.

Congratulations on almost being there! I don't know where you are having your surgery but I can answer some questions based on my experience. I did have a catheter and I did have a drain. After the drain was removed I found out that was the only discomfort I was feeling. I was wheeled into the or and the next thing I remember was seeing my hubby and mom in recovery. I have to say the only bad experience was the first few days post op. When they do the surgery they inject air into your stomach. The air rises and mine rested in my neck and upper back. After 2 or 3 days it went away. After that the only annoyace was the nursing staff. I think it is their goal to see how often they can wake their patients.

Good luck

Donna

I am a new newbie :) I am hoping to have my surgery in December, so excited and still lots of little questions. Can you tell me about the day of surgery, what you experienced, did you have to have catheters, drain tubes etc. I have never had a surgery before other than childbirth, so that part is what freaks me out more that anything. I am having the laprascopic sleeve. Any other details you want to share would be great, pain levels etc.

I forogt about that drink. Must have blocked it out. It was horrible. And the tech couldn't even give me Water to rinse my mouth. He was nice enough to give me a wet towel and I wiped my tongue. I had my surgery in new york so I guess they do it all over. Its a leak check

Donna

Well Im sure you already relize that every one's experence is a little different as far as mine goes it was going ok untill I was told I had to drink this purple stuff then go get an exray. They didn't happen to tell me I also had to drink this clear stuff (during the exray) which I didn't think it was possible but it tasted worst then the purple. The poor girl I went with threwup as soon as she was done. I waited till we got back to the recovery house. Now Im not sure if every one has to have this exray but because my surgery was In Mexico it's something you have to do before they release you. When I got back to the recovery house they took me up to my room to take out my drain tube which dind't realy hurt just felt werd. Just remember to take a deep breath in and then out when they pul it out. Unfortunaly they took out 2 of my 3 stiches at the site so I have quite a big scare ,as far as how I felt when I got home it felt as if someone had sliced me acrosed the chest put a bowling ball on my chest and closed me up, by the 3 rd day the weight on my chest was cut in half and was total gone by 2 wks. I am only in 4 wks. with my sleeve and have months to go till Im normal again but hope this helps.

<br />I lost all m weight. If you stick to Protein first and a little veggies when you have room, you can't help but lose.<br />Try not to worry. Of course if you cheat and eat candy which goes down very easily. that will change everything.<br /><br />You can do it if you are dedicated to following the rules and adding some exercise in.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Oh how I wish this were true for me, but it isn't. I track every single morsel that goes in my mouth, I keep my carbs lower than low, and my food choices pristine. Yet, I'm not losing weight. The party line of VSG is that on such low calories it is impossible not to lose weight. Well, here I am. I exercise 5 days a week, 30 minutes elliptical, full weights rotation. I eat 80+ grams Protein, 10-20 grams carbs, 60-90 ounces Water, every day. Not only have I stopped losing weight (a month without loss), but I have gained. I do not eat bread, potatoes, rice, grains, etc. I am supposed to be on 600 calories a day.

Great thread!!

@Tiffy - again, you have great information for us!! I enjoyed watching the presentation (though he does say "um" alot lol). I currently have a LB that I hate. I am hoping to get a sleeve 1Q of next year. If my insurance doesn't pay, that will definitely put off my surgery date! Recently, I met with my LB surgeon who took out all of my saline. Wow, I haven't had a PB since! Yippee! I've had 2-3 friends tell me that they were very concerned for me with my PB's. Aww.

Anyway, I feel like the surgeon was trying to steer me to GB saying that it has higher risk but greater results than the VS. I personally know of 2 people that died during their GB surgeries (albeit 10ish years ago) but still. My one gf that GB has gained at least every pound back. (I haven't had the nerve to ask if she's back at her surgery weight!)

I am SO sick of being heavy and am so incredibly tired of this LB that I could scream! My surgeon's done numerous, numerous WLS but has only done one LB to VS conversion but says that the sleeve is a much easier surgery for a surgeon. I think that he said that he's done ten LB to GB surgeries wherein his patients have done well. (But how difficult is it to do better than a LB? Sorry, sarcasm there!) I am in the Atlanta area but can't find any information about our surgeons on here or on OH. Anyone have any info re: Atlanta surgeons? If so, thanks!

Clearly it's late (almost midnight) and I'm rambling. I apologize!

Good luck to everyone on their WLS journeys. May we all end up as slender as Tiffy!!!

Hi...I had a laproscopic gastric sleeve 2 weeks ago today. And as you know everyone's experience is unique but I wanted to share mine with you in case it helps. I was extremely nervous on the day of surgery...I have a high tolerance for pain but for some reason I was having some serious misgivings about this surgery. And I'm happy to say all of that worry was for nothing, my doctor said my surgery was a "text book example of how these surgeries should go". Yay! Day 1 in the hospital was a breeze, I was happy, talkative and even got up to walk around the hospital floor. I did have a catheter but they removed that the following morning and I had an IV and a drain on my left side. The most pain I felt was at the drain site and at my left shoulder. The pulmonologist explained that the shoulder pain is from the gas they give you and walking and breathing into that tube-y thing they give you helps relieve that pain. The nurses also made me a home made heating pad and that helped a lot. Day 2, catheter came out at 6am...halleliuah! And then I was taken to have an upper GI to be sure there were no leaks, once I got clearance on that I was allowed to eat. So for the most part, things went fine until about 5p when I started feeling nauseous. I threw up and was basically miserable and therefore stopped eating and drinking Water since Water was making me the most nauseous. My doctor came to visit and explained that once I had a bowel movement the nausea would go away. And with the help of nausea medicine and moving my bowels, I recovered from the wheezy feeling and got back on track with eating and drinking since I was really motivated to go home. All in all, not a bad experience considering the surgery I had just had and definitely nothing compared to the cesearean I had the year before as far as pain was concerned. I was in the hospital a total of 3 nights.

Much luck to you on this journey...be excited and optimistic, you're about to embark on a brand new life! By the way, I'm 41 years old, weighed 294 the day of surgery and as of yesterday I was down to 275.

My Nut insists that the "window" for weight loss is extended for Sleevers up to two years, vs 6 mos to one year for GSB. This doesn't mean you CAN'T continue to lose weight, but statistics indicate many don't. The regain statistics are also quite depressing, unless you start out on program with diet, exercise, and developing new behaviors around food.

I lost weight before my surgery and have continued to five months out with one plateau. A total of 100 lbs since Jan 2010, and I have already started on the second 100! Make your own progress and determine your own future!