Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

I disagree, I think it is extremely important to track calories. Dr. Ashmore, a PhD that spoke at the support group last week put it this way. 100 additional calories a day.....meaning,100 more than you need to maintain.....100 calories every day is over 36,000 calories a year. Equals 10 lbs a year.

I don't know about y'all, but I didn't wake up 80 lbs overweight, it happened over a number of years, probably 8 - 10 lbs a year would be a safe bet. It sneaks up on us, it doesn't just appear. We don't go to bed a size 8 and wake up squeezing into an 18 or 20.

I'm just sayin'

Thanks guys. Highly obliged. Will keep this advice in mind at all times

I disagree, I think it is extremely important to track calories. Dr. Ashmore, a PhD that spoke at the support group last week put it this way. 100 additional calories a day.....meaning,100 more than you need to maintain.....100 calories every day is over 36,000 calories a year. Equals 10 lbs a year.

I don't know about y'all, but I didn't wake up 80 lbs overweight, it happened over a number of years, probably 8 - 10 lbs a year would be a safe bet. It sneaks up on us, it doesn't just appear. We don't go to bed a size 8 and wake up squeezing into an 18 or 20.

I'm just sayin'

I certainly don't imply that it is bad to track calories, if that is your thing. However, some people obsess so much about the calories, they just completely stress out and if they eat 20 more than they should, they think they are going to gain! Everyone is different as to what works for them.

Had some of us obsessed about calories PRIOR to sugery.....years earlier, then we might not be here posting on a WLS forum. That of course is my very humble opinion.

Again, 100 additional calories per day, every day, is over 36,000 calories a year. TEN POUNDS per year. We can get an additional 100 calories in a blink of an eye. Tasting while we are cooking, or eating a few bites that one of the kids or grandkids leave on their plate. I know when there isn't enough to keep, I'll take a bite before putting it in the garbage disposal. This IS how we gain and we should all be aware of that. If thinking about calories and what we put in our mouths, stresses us out, then maybe medication is needed, not a granola bar.

Just sayin'

How do I figure out my "excess" weight. I am 5"2 and was 179 when sleeved on March 19th.

I am 15 months out and have lost 105% of my excess weight. I hit 104% by 10 months out and just in the last week dropped the other %! My local support group calls me their "Poster Child"! Gotta love it!! = D

How do I figure out my "excess" weight. I am 5"2 and was 179 when sleeved on March 19th.

You need to figure out what your goal is... look at a chart or talk to your Doc for this. Then take the pounds you have already lost, devide it by the total amount you want to lose, this will be a .something number... this is your percent EWL.

I needed to lose 90 pounds

I have lost 69 pounds

69 devided by 90 = .76666.... so my percentage EW lost is 76%

You need to figure out what your goal is... look at a chart or talk to your Doc for this. Then take the pounds you have already lost, devide it by the total amount you want to lose, this will be a .something number... this is your percent EWL.

I needed to lose 90 pounds

I have lost 69 pounds

69 devided by 90 = .76666.... so my percentage EW lost is 76%

Thanks for that! Now I know what I've lost post op with complications. 85%!! So now I know that I can beat (and have so far) the 65% EWL averages. This just made my day! (I never claimed to be a math whiz :) )

Excess weight can be defined as if your waist measurement is greater than half your height, seems to be a new measure that is more accurate than BMI and also abdominal fat is the really bad type.

I'm just sayin'

Well actually I disagree on this When I was running 5 miles each day for the soccer team and gained 30 pounds within a month that was the worst news I ever heard. I was eating right and Running and doing weights and then the drs ran blood tests and I had hypothyroidism and pcos and pre-diabetic. So really yes weight really can come upon a person really fast. I've struggled with my weight since then and have done tons of diets and weightloss programs and none have worked. so now I'm going for my first apt with my surgeon this june and have already done 3 months of dieting.

Well actually I disagree on this When I was running 5 miles each day for the soccer team and gained 30 pounds within a month that was the worst news I ever heard. I was eating right and Running and doing weights and then the drs ran blood tests and I had hypothyroidism and pcos and pre-diabetic. So really yes weight really can come upon a person really fast. I've struggled with my weight since then and have done tons of diets and weightloss programs and none have worked. so now I'm going for my first apt with my surgeon this june and have already done 3 months of dieting.

So tracking calories is bad, why?

Tracking calories will never be a bad thing. Some people, like me, freak out over eating too much. I am lax about a lot with the sleeve, my calories are something I don't mess around with.

Tracking calories will never be a bad thing. Some people, like me, freak out over eating too much. I am lax about a lot with the sleeve, my calories are something I don't mess around with.

I agree with you.....I want to know where I am calorie wise. I have my daughter doing this and she is not a WLS patient! She'd gained a little when she had her baby 4 years ago. She has been on myfitnesspal for 2 months now and is 15 lbs lighter. Fifteen was her goal, now she is going for a five pound pad!! Hey, I know I'm obsessive, actually my nurse said I was a 'bit rigid', and early on, while I was losing, I was......but I "freak out" over very little! I never have. Up and down, up and down, that is what normal people do.....this is all a game to me, I have fun, it's part of my life. Weighing daily, weighing or measuring food and tracking calories.....is my new life, as natural for me as breathing. I can't imagine paying almost 13k, out of pocket to have 85% of my tummy removed.....and then, that's it. I am very aware of everything I do. I am not deprived of anything, but I am much better at resisting and making wise choices when I need to!

I treat my calories like cash. Some days I spend my "money" on good foods and have some to spare, some days I go crazy and have drinks but I make sure to stay within "budget"

If only I were this strict with my actual money lol

That's the one part I didn't understand. Then I do suck at math. My SW was 265. I go to my 1st post spot tomorrow. But I was wondering if my goal is to about 180 what percentage would that be?