Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am attending a halloween party on Saturday and we were asked to bring some type of alcoholic beverage. I'm a few days away from a month out so I wouldn't even consider drinking but it makes me wonder about upcoming holiday parties and I am wondering if it will ever be ok to drink. I prefer wine but my doctor has not said anything about alcoholic beverage restrictions. Does anyone know the general rule behind this?

My dr told me to wait at least 3 months to have alcohol and to be very careful because it affects you differently after surgery. Obviously it should be very moderate during losing phase due to the empty calories in alcohol.

I think I also waited about 3 months. My surgery was in January and in May I traveled to Italy where I drank a glass of wine at least once a day with no problems. Now I drink whatever I want and can tell no difference from before the VSG.

There are other people here who have posted about having a couple drinks on a night out after the surgery - proof there that eventually it is possible, although not right away. So don't to worry too much about that.

Congrats on your new sleeve.

I just asked my surgeon this on Monday night at our support group. I said when I can I have a small glass of wine? He said.. tonight! lol! I was exactly 5 weeks out from surgery on Monday. He warned me to be careful that it may affect me differently. I ended up not having it, but it's nice to know I can try it again. Even a half a glass of red would be nice one night. I'm so tired though... I honestly don't need any more sedatives in my body! haha!

I was cleared at 4ish months out, I think. My surgeon warned me to avoid red wines (there's actually a member here that explained the tannic acid/pH in red wine can irritate a newer sleeve), and to drink at home first to see how it would affect me.

The first time I drank I was passed goal, and I had one glass of a light Riesling. It hit me hard and fast, then I sobered up pretty fast. Now that I'm almost 17 months out, I drink on a more than social occasion, I have a few drinks a month, one to two a week sometimes, in my social circle I'm known as the "afternoon cocktail girl". I lost my taste for red wine completely, drink rum/cokes when I go out to the bars, and for my afternoon cocktails, I prefer strawberry or raspberry mojitos or bellinis.

Some people choose to drink sooner, but try to remember, it's just wasted calories for the day. If you're calorie/protein/carb focused, then make sure you track those calories and drink plenty of Water to avoid dehydration.

One thing I can say is that my alcohol tolerance has returned to what it was pre-op. I'm not sure that's a great thing, but alcohol no longer hits me hard and fast, I'm able to catch and maintain a decent buzz, and have tied a few one on special occasions. Plus, I haven't had a real hangover since surgery which is a HUGE plus ! ! !

At 3 1/2 weeks post surgery, I had a vacation planned to Napa and the wine country. My doctor said it was fine..just don't expect to lose any weight while you are there! I didn't but I did enjoy tasting a lot of great wines! I certainly didn't drink as much as I would have pre-surgery and I did dump a lot of good wine but I did not feel deprived. I'm eight weeks out now and drink rarely but I really have not noticed a difference in my tolerance at all. Hope this helps!

My surgeon would *like* his patients to wait one year. He fully acknowledges that it is probably the one rule he makes that most people break. I'm not a big drinker, so I don't anticpate any problems. I'm sure it will be quite a while before I attempt to drink anything with alcohol.

My surgeon ok'd wine at 2 months (I asked since I was headed back to Vegas for a vacation with friends.). I drink a couple of glasses of white wine and don't have any problems other than it taking a while and hitting me fast (can you say cheap date???).

Beer is another story ... Lots of bubbles. Can't drink much before I feel uncomfortable.

Be careful with shots. They are small, so go down easy ... But they hit hard and fast!!!

I was never a big wine drinker, but I find these days it makes me nauseous and/or uncomfortable. I don't seem to have that problem with mixed drinks.< /p>

Mine said not until I hit my goal weight but I started having a drink here and there at about 3 to 4 weeks out. I love margaritas and can't drink them anymore because they make me nauseous as well as any sweet drinks. I can drink wine with diet 7 up and I drink bud chiladas or bloody mary's a lot. I've always had a high tolerance for alcohol and find that I still do just not as high as before. It probably wasn't smart to drink that close to surgery but I am 3 months out and am fine.

Mine says 6-8 weeks.

I was told 1 month. I didn't want anything until that point anyway.

I used to drink about three glasses of wine on a weekend night before my op, but now one is definitely enough! I did go out for Halloween to a party, and drank three glasses of wine and one shot over the course of an evening. Although I didn't feel all that drunk I did have the most terrible hangover the next day, so I won't make that mistake again!

Ditto to the "one month" suggestions. I was told it could be as soon as 3 weeks but to be very careful. I had about 3 sips of a friend's margarita at the 3wk mark and got SUPER TIPSY, it was pretty funny.

Now that I'm a little over 5wks I can handle a small cocktail just fine. I stay away from harsher liquors like tequila and stick with softer stuff like schnapps and Malibu. Malibu cranberry goes down great and tastes even better. ;)

All things in moderation though, of course!