Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is the secret to success after surgery?

Oh, well, I shouldn't make it sound so great then. I need a lift so bad and a skin reduction. The girls are terribly 'long', so don't be jealous now. It's allllllllllllll lskin.

My husband asks OFTEN when I'm having the next surgery. But geez, I'm so friggin scared. I'll start considering it at 1 year. I'll likely need a Tummy Tuck, a boob reduction/lift, and a butt-y tuck if they have that b/c I have a lot of extra skin hanging from my butt. My legs have just all but disappeared. But my tummy is still chubby. Kinda weird. I would have never guessed my butt would hang.

My husband just invested in a recumbant bicycle but I was looking at it trying to figure if I could ride it with my hands instead of my feet. lol. I really need to work out my upper body; whereas my lower body is just gone. Kinda of an anti-gravity exercise device if I am upside down. I need anti-gravity right now.

But at least I'm in good company, heh?

YA - It is TOTALLY cool.....I shop at Ann Taylor now, J Jill, Chico's. It is fun fun fun. The only thing that will fit anymore at Lane Bryant is the bras. I've changed bra sizes twice. But not in the cup, strangely enough.

I love, love JJill but haven't gone to Ann Taylor, I passed it in the mall the other day though, I need to check them out. I'm having so much fun shopping. I can see where people become clothes hogs!! :) I have changed bras sizes more than twice really, although I've only bought two different sizes, I could have gotten smaller ones sooner. I've gone from a 42 to a 36!!! Cup size has NOT changed, I was hoping it would go down a size!!!! Small and perky would be GREAT....I know, I'm dreaming. I'm not going to do any plastics, but if I did....that's what I would do....smaller and perky!!! :D

I think maybe you need to reevaluate your idea of success as far as the sleeve goes. Speed of weight loss can be attributed to circumstances outside of our control, such as sex, starting weight and hunger. I don`t think if one person takes 6 months and another takes 2 years that one was more successfully than the other (there are just so many variables that have to bee taken into account). Ultimately its calories in vs calories out.

I guess I'm another one who's not a success. I've lost an average of just under a pound a week since my surgery on March 17. So because I'm so unsuccessful, I've lost only 42 pounds in 7.5 months instead of the 60 I had to lose. I'm only a size 4-6 instead of a size 2. My BMI is 24 instead of 21. I'll probably have to wait until my one-year surgiversary to get to my goal of 115 pounds. Boo hoo hoo. It sucks to be so unsuccessful.

NOT.

I haven't approached this as a diet. I had this surgery so I could STOP dieting, and I couldn't be happier. I'm in no hurry. I think I look great now and I'm perfectly willing to take another few months to get to my ultimate goal. And I'm really, really glad I haven't driven myself crazy by thinking it's going too slow! And I'm SUPER glad I never came on this board before I even had my surgery, and started trying to tell other people they were "unsuccessful" because they weren't losing weight as fast as I thought they should! Sheesh!

Is there anyone out there that doesn't have a weight goal? The people in my life that know I am having surgery keep asking what I am hoping for. My answer is always, to be here when my grandchildren are! I just want to be healthy. They ask what size I want to be. This question always stumps me. I don't have a "size" I want to be. I usually just say smaller. I know what I want.. I want to be able to go into a store and pick up an outfit for a wedding or a party without having to go to Lane Bryant or Catherine's. I want choices! I want to wear matching pj"s with my girls! I want my boobs to be much smaller! I don't have a weight and I am afraid that if I have a "goal" that I will freak out if it looks like I am not making it. I have been reading and reading on here. I am READY to get on with life after surgery. I like the idea of a 3 bite rule for sweets (sometimes you just have to have a bite!) I feel so empowered already and I haven't even had the surgery! It is just the fact that I know that I am doing somethng about my health and in turn it will make a difference in the health and well being of my family! I am so impressed with all of you guys. It is really nice to know that there is a place that I can go where my craziness is understood! I am looking forward to our "friendship" for many years to come!!

Is there anyone out there that doesn't have a weight goal? The people in my life that know I am having surgery keep asking what I am hoping for. My answer is always, to be here when my grandchildren are! I just want to be healthy. They ask what size I want to be. This question always stumps me. I don't have a "size" I want to be. I usually just say smaller. I know what I want.. I want to be able to go into a store and pick up an outfit for a wedding or a party without having to go to Lane Bryant or Catherine's. I want choices! I want to wear matching pj"s with my girls! I want my boobs to be much smaller! I don't have a weight and I am afraid that if I have a "goal" that I will freak out if it looks like I am not making it. I have been reading and reading on here. I am READY to get on with life after surgery. I like the idea of a 3 bite rule for sweets (sometimes you just have to have a bite!) I feel so empowered already and I haven't even had the surgery! It is just the fact that I know that I am doing somethng about my health and in turn it will make a difference in the health and well being of my family! I am so impressed with all of you guys. It is really nice to know that there is a place that I can go where my craziness is understood! I am looking forward to our "friendship" for many years to come!!

We HAVE to have some where to go where our craziness is understood!! I am always asking my husband "Is this a lot of food?" LOL Sounds nutty, I know....but we are eating on smaller plates, and compared to what i was eating three months ago (I am five months out) it seems like a LOT of food!! I just need reasurrance that it isn't....although I can look at HIS plate and see that it is not. So much psychological stuff that goes along with WLS!! He told me the other night that maybe we should start using larger plates again!! :)

So here is my question…I have been reading everything I can on this site. I have noticed that most people lose somewhere around 10 pounds a month after surgery. Then there are those who are 4-5 months out that have only lost 25 pounds or so…How do I make sure I am one of those who lose 10 pounds a month? I want to be successful at this…Those of you who have done well what do you think makes the difference? Those of you that have NOT been successful what is holding you back?

Your honesty is appreciated! Thank you for being willing to help those of us on the other side of this journey, prepare.

i think that what has worked for me are my indications that I got from Dr. Aceves. plus i have actually become an exercise addict....as soon as i started seeing results, i liked it more and more....so now i dont miss a day at the gym, and if for one reason i don't have time, then i take a walk or run around my neighborhood.

I guess I'm another one who's not a success. I've lost an average of just under a pound a week since my surgery on March 17. So because I'm so unsuccessful, I've lost only 42 pounds in 7.5 months instead of the 60 I had to lose. I'm only a size 4-6 instead of a size 2. My BMI is 24 instead of 21. I'll probably have to wait until my one-year surgiversary to get to my goal of 115 pounds. Boo hoo hoo. It sucks to be so unsuccessful.

NOT.

I haven't approached this as a diet. I had this surgery so I could STOP dieting, and I couldn't be happier. I'm in no hurry. I think I look great now and I'm perfectly willing to take another few months to get to my ultimate goal. And I'm really, really glad I haven't driven myself crazy by thinking it's going too slow! And I'm SUPER glad I never came on this board before I even had my surgery, and started trying to tell other people they were "unsuccessful" because they weren't losing weight as fast as I thought they should! Sheesh!

LOL I hope to be as unsuccessful as you!

My goal and my surgeon's goal for me are 2 different weights. My surgeon gave me a number based on looking at me and knowing my height. My goal comes from living in this body and knowing at what weight it performs best. If you go by BMI, then I am at a "normal" weight, no longer obese or overweight. Everyone I know tells me I don't need to lose anymore, and my body must agree, because I've been at the same weight now for a couple of months. I get on the scale now every couple of weeks just to check, but I don't worry or obsess over fluctuations of a couple of pounds.

So I guess my point is, don't think your doc's goal number is carved in stone. When you get to where you need to be you'll know it. Your health is the main goal - banishing co-morbidities for good, having a healthy heart, etc. Those small goals like wearing matching pj's with your kids are good enough too.