Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Official What You Will Need For Your Upcoming Weightloss Surgery Thread!

I am going to be having surgery at the end of the month and I have heard some many things on what you can and can't have before and after surgery. So what are some of the best things to have for your liquid diet before surgery as well as after?? Also I'm a spark girl(single mom works 8-10 hr days so I need my energy) is that something you can have after surgery? Again any advice would be great, so confused about everything you read cause you see so may different things different places.

Thank you in advance

I am going to be having surgery at the end of the month and I have heard some many things on what you can and can't have before and after surgery. So what are some of the best things to have for your liquid diet before surgery as well as after?? Also I'm a spark girl(single mom works 8-10 hr days so I need my energy) is that something you can have after surgery? Again any advice would be great, so confused about everything you read cause you see so may different things different places.

Thank you in advance

I was told Decaf for at least a month. Spark also has a lot of carbs, I bought some pre-op and it's still unopened. I figured the carbs in that wasn't worth it as if rather eat something for my 40 carbs a day that I was allowed.

I am a coffee addict! So I know how you feel about spark, but it's best to not drink it. I have had a decaf vanilla coffee, but it takes so long to drink it and then I'm constantly reheating it so I end up barely drinking any.

The first week after surgery I was exhausted. I'm a week and a half post op and still don't have the energy I used to. It will come back, but it is a major surgery. I also had a hiatal hernia repair, so that also has to heal.

I've been drinking Water, sugar free snapple packets, and decaf tea post-op. I have a renewed love for lady grey tea by twinings. It is so light and yummy.

Good luck and let me know how your surgery goes.

Hi Sleevers.... I am 4 days post op. This list of what to take to the hospital was a great help. But there are two additional items that I took with me that were lifesavers. First was Biotene moisturizing mouth spray. My doc let me use this when I was still NPO after surgery. Thank goodness!! But be sure to clear that with your surgeon. Next was my back scratcher. The pain meds always make me itch a little...having a back scratcher was nice to have and I used it quite a bit.

Thanks 3Pugaliers for mentioning the spray. I've had a couple of back surgeries and I cant stand that terrible cotton mouth afterwards. My surgery date is Oct.17 and I want at least one of everything that anyone has suggested to help with this issue. A nurse friend of mine has recommended some kind of pre moistened swabs that are packaged individually. She says she will get me some before the big day. I will pass the name on to others as soon as I have them in hand. Also the back scratcher has been added to my list since pain meds have an itchy efffect on me as well. Congratulations on your first week out and best wishes for smooth sailing.

Many people have mentioned, including my surgery coordinator, to bring gauze, medical tape and Neosporin. For some reason we have problems with the medical tape they use in Mexico.

Many people have mentioned, including my surgery coordinator, to bring gauze, medical tape and Neosporin. For some reason we have problems with the medical tape they use in Mexico.

Does anyone else have serious back problems? I wonder if I should bring my trusty refillable ice pack? I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

Does anyone else have serious back problems? I wonder if I should bring my trusty refillable ice pack? I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

11mos out and I just got my gallbladder out and I have been having some severe back and neck pain

QUESTION:

"I'm having surgery soon, what will I need for my hospital stay or for shortly after???"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay ladies and gentlemen, this question comes up here so much - I felt it would be a great idea to start up an official thread. My plan is once I think the list is great enough, I'm going to create a checklist for all the folks out there that will be sleeved shortly and have the above question. Then if you are around long enough and as much as I am, and someone has that question you can just lead them to this thread. Fair enough?

Sometimes its just nice to have everything all in the same place, kinda following the Walmart rule of thumb. They are very successful, aren't they?

Anyway, please start with your suggestions and I'll get my MSWord fired up. ;-) I'll also start with the first suggestion:

Comfy Pajamas, underclothes and slippers or warm cozy socks...

take a pliiow &leave in ur vehicle for ride home put between stomach &seatbelt for comfort it really works ,loose clothing for ride home.thats all i took &needed.

Yall take a pillow to put between the seatbelt & your stomach for the ride home it helps ease pain of road bumps & soreness.

Do you know if anyone has made a list for must-haves for post-op at home?? Like all the yummy SF things, Proteins, and Vitamins, etc...

A pillow for the ride home put between stomach & seatbelt for comfort

I took so much stuff and didn't use any of it... They give you slipper six.. You have an iv so a robe doesn't work I slept all day they also bring you soap and toorhbrush/paste. I had my phone note book and pen.

Question for anyone who might know . If I've eaten 1 cup of corn flakes with nothing on them before surgery do you think the surgeon will refuse to do my surgery because I have eaten that ?

Question for anyone who might know . If I've eaten 1 cup of corn flakes with nothing on them before surgery do you think the surgeon will refuse to do my surgery because I have eaten that ?

Didn't you already post this on another thread? I just saw a similar question with several answers. Tell your surgeon and don't eat anything else not on your program.