Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I get in 1000-1200 Calories?

Ok, I believe my stall is related to my daily intake. I am still good about watching carbs and couting Protein but I understand that being almost 6 months out I should be eating more calories. I am doing good to get 700 calories in while staying under my carb and fat maximums.

Any suggestions on adding quality calories to my diet? I am not exercising regularly either so increasing calories does scare me, although I am naturally an active person and I do not sit around much at all, just don't physically get into the gym much.

Thanks all! I am still in a stall, been about 6 weeks but not losing faith, never will really, this is life now.

Angie - Can you give me an idea of what a day or two looks like for you as far as eating? From there, I may be able to offer some advice.

Best of luck - stalls are soooooooooooooooo frustrating! :angry:

Angie - Can you give me an idea of what a day or two looks like for you as far as eating? From there, I may be able to offer some advice.

Best of luck - stalls are soooooooooooooooo frustrating! :angry:

MINI-Me,

A typical day:

1 Premier Protein shake

1 Cup of coffee with sugar free Creamer

2 low fat string cheese

1 pouch of chunk light tuna

2 tbsp lowfat mayo

2 tbsp dill relish

3 oz baked tilapia

60 + oz Water (flavored with sugar free, calorie free flavors)

Granted, on the weekends I might have a few bites of ice cream or a piece of candy, I do not go crazy with it.

Could you drink some milk instead of Water? I try to use goat's milk because it's easier for the body to process and has 8gm of protien or maybe greek yogurt ?

What about adding some meat to your Breakfast or a mid-morning snack? Maybe some leftover grilled chicken or lean steak. That will keep the fat and carbs low, but increase your Protein & calories.

Too bad you don't like yogurt. Carbmasters has some excellent yogurt for 4g of Carb, 80 calories, and 12g of Protein.< /p>

To stay within your carb limits (I believe you are more strict than this that I have been), I believe adding lean protein would be your best choice right now.

Others - do you have ideas for Angie? I know we have some creative people out there! :)

Thank you! Yes, so far I have thought to add more Protein and that is what I will do. I am sure it is partially related to not getting in the gym but like I said, I am very active normally so it is not completely that. I am stuck at 133 right now, I can't wait for the day to see 129!!!

Your fruit and vegetable intake is 0, which isn't exactly a healthy diet. The low-carb myth is quite frustrating; if you look at the research, low-carb makes you lose weight faster in the beginning, but at the 6-month mark, it is no better for weightloss than low-fat diet, Portion Control, or really any other diet that results in lower calorie intake. Plus it just doesn't make sense to avoid healthy carbs like vegetables or whole grains for the sake of "carb-counting" but indulge in unhealthy sugary treats that are devoid of Fiber and Vitamins on the weekend. I don't understand why surgeons keep pushing it on people who are long out of the surgery, because the data just isn't there to support it, but there's a lot of data promoting fruit and vegetable intake to decrease the risk of many cancers and other health issues (high blood pressure, etc).

I'm only 10 weeks out, but can pass along what I've read here and on the OH board. People seem to kick-start their weight loss by upping Protein (not necessarily overall calories) and Water. See if you can't get your protein into the 100 gm per day range, maybe by protein drinks/shakes, and increase water intake? It's something I've stored in my back pocket for that inevitable day a really long stall happens to me.

I totally agree that we need to have veggies in our diets. I know we are supposed to eat Protein first, but a lot of times, I don't. I will eat veggies first because I don't want colon cancer.

A good way to get veggies in is with salads. If you're cleared for fresh veggies, I would eat some salad with fresh veggies and chicken breast mixed in. I cut the chicken breast up really tiny and use a low fat dressing.

Ok, I believe my stall is related to my daily intake. I am still good about watching carbs and couting Protein but I understand that being almost 6 months out I should be eating more calories. I am doing good to get 700 calories in while staying under my carb and fat maximums.

Any suggestions on adding quality calories to my diet? I am not exercising regularly either so increasing calories does scare me, although I am naturally an active person and I do not sit around much at all, just don't physically get into the gym much.

Thanks all! I am still in a stall, been about 6 weeks but not losing faith, never will really, this is life now.

Hi there! One, well maybe more than one question...but first of all, why do you want to up your calories? I'm at 4 months/1 week and my caloric intake is between 550 and 750. My Protein, totally from food, is between 55 and 65 gram per day. I don't count carbs, but they are quite a bit more than yours. I know this because the on line food log I keep tells me so! :) I'm just curious. How much protein do you get a day? I don't go to the gym either. I am just a few lbs from goal and I wanted to make sure I got there by doing what I will do forever, not by doing anything that I'll get burned out on in a year! Make sense? I know me, and I know that exercising is NOT something that I'll continue. I ride our stationary bike MAYBE once or twice a week and I have a band that I use several times a week to work on my arms, which, at age 51, is my main concern. I have a ball too, and I have not gotten the hang of it, but it looks like fun, I will do something eventually!

An average day for me as far as food starts with a half cup of cottage cheese...the Breakfast of champions! 1% of course, and it packs 13 gr of protein. If not, I will eat a couple of eggs or an egg and a half a piece of whole wheat toast with a smige of marg. on it. I like a fourth cup of solid white tuna for lunch with 1 TB of lite mayo with 8 or 10 Special K crackers...3 oz of deli sliced lunchmeat, maybe a little 2% cheese and a few Special K crackers. I like the crunch. Something leftover from the night before maybe. For dinner 2 or 2.5 oz of meat and eighth cup of cottage cheese and an eighth cup of some veggie. I might have a .25 oz of almonds now that I'm almost at goal. At night I'll have a little SF Jello with SF Cool Whip if I have some made. This changes up if we go out to eat....but this is just to give you an idea. I like to steam some shrimp for lunch some times, it is good for protein!

My surgeon's office does not worry about calories unless you are not losing weight, and then they worry about you getting too many! :) We don't count carbs at all, thank goodness, I couldn't keep up with something else! LOL

Your fruit and vegetable intake is 0, which isn't exactly a healthy diet. The low-carb myth is quite frustrating; if you look at the research, low-carb makes you lose weight faster in the beginning, but at the 6-month mark, it is no better for weightloss than low-fat diet, Portion Control, or really any other diet that results in lower calorie intake. Plus it just doesn't make sense to avoid healthy carbs like vegetables or whole grains for the sake of "carb-counting" but indulge in unhealthy sugary treats that are devoid of fiber and Vitamins on the weekend. I don't understand why surgeons keep pushing it on people who are long out of the surgery, because the data just isn't there to support it, but there's a lot of data promoting fruit and vegetable intake to decrease the risk of many cancers and other health issues (high blood pressure, etc).

Spot on BBJuice, I couldn't agree more, that's exactly what I'm doing (and around 900-1000 cal) exercising and the weight is coming off, a balanced diet is the key! :D