Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ending one journey, Starting a new one tomorrow

Hello all,

My name is Mary and tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m. I'm going to get my sleeve. It's been such a long journey getting to this moment that I almost can't believe it's really going to happen.

I've always been overweight, since I was a child, and have done the yo-yo dieting that most of us have over the years. But then I developed sleep apnea and high blood pressure, and I knew that something had to change. I hoped to have weight loss surgery, but my primary doctor wasn't comfortable with the idea. Finally, about six months ago, when blood work showed that I'm also pre-diabetic, she decided to refer me for the lap band. I made an appointment with the surgeon and began to do some research, and very quickly decided that I was going to press for the sleeve instead. The sleeve just seems like such a superior option, healthier and more natural, compared to RNY and the band.

Well, long story short, my insurance company denied the sleeve but approved the RNY, and I almost gave in and went with that, because so many people insisted it was a better choice and that I'd be crazy not to have it. There really isn't much support for the sleeve in the bariatric community at large, at least not yet. But then, thankfully, I found VST and read about people who love their sleeve, and about others who had successfully appealed for the sleeve. I can't tell you how much help it was, being able to come here and find such great advice about how to file an appeal and what kind of documentation to include. Two months later the denial was overturned.

I'm so excited about tomorrow, but also really scared. I guess like so many others I'm afraid that I'm going to screw this up and regain the weight in time. I've had a few friends have that happen with the RNY, and they're so discouraged. But I'm determined to do my best and use this wonderful new tool to the absolute fullest potential. Being on the strict two-week liquid diet has given me some hope -- if I can do that, I can do anything!! :mad:

I'm so grateful that this forum is here. I've spent every spare minute reading old posts, gathering courage and staying calm. So thanks very much to all of you who've posted. You're awesome!

I'll post about my surgery and hospital experience when I'm back home on Monday. Reading about others experiences has been so helpful!

-- Mary

Thinking of you Mary, I know you will do great!

Thanks Mary for sharing your story. Best wishes on a smooth operation and a swift recovery. I'll be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way.:mad:

Move over VST family another member is joining the loser's bench. WOO HOO.

Deb

You will do great! Regain with the sleeve is not as common because it's made from the muscular part of the stomach which does not stretch like the RNY. You have made the right choice!

I am really glad VST was able to help you win your appeal. Nobody should have to have a surgery they don't really want just because an insurance company tells them they have to.

You'll do great! I'm so glad that with support from this site and a little perseverance you were able to get insurance approval.

You have the right mindset - this is definitely a new journey. Enjoy it! Life post-op is pretty awesome, I must say, and it gets better with every pound that takes me closer to goal.

Best of luck and a smooth recovery to you,

~Cheri

Good luck to you MAry! To be honest this forum keeps me going, sometimes I feel like throwing in the towel but reading peoples day to day struggles and victories keep me positive and ambitous to reach my goal!

Thank you all very much for the wonderful support! I'm home from the hospital since yesterday -- had a bit of a tough time, which I'll tell about in a new thread -- but now I'm back to full liquids and feeling SO much better!

Onward I go!

--Mary