Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here & on my journey

Hello all,

My name is Bryn, I was previously on lapbandtalk.com; but after my consultation with the doctor today, I am choosing to go along with the vertical sleeve surgery.

AI first went with the band, then bypass and now i'm decided on VS :)

What made me choose the sleeve is that i really was not comfortable with my intestines being re-routed. and i didn't want to deal with the hassle of fills/unfills, erosion, etc with the band

I see the bariatric surgeon in 2 months. within those two months, i need to complete my psych eval, meet with dietician, attend bariatric exercise classes, meet with my PCP, get a sleep study and any other tests i can squeeze in :thumbup: it's going to be a challenge since i attend school full time and work full time, but i'm dedicated to do it.

thanks all for sharing your stories/experiences for us newbies :thumbup:

Awesome and welcome Bryn, I started off researching on lapbandtalk also and I actually heard about this procedure on that site. I hopped over here and it didn't take much to convince me that this was the best surgery for me.

Keep us posted on your journey.

Hi Bryn,

Welcome to the forum. I wish you well on your journey. You certainly have a lot to do over the next 2 months.... I have done a lot of reasearch as well and I really feel the the Sleeve is the best option out there for Weight loss Surgery.....

Take care

Sue

Welcome Bryn!

Congratulations on your decision to get the sleeve. It sure made the most sense to me, too.

I'm glad you found this forum. I hope "we" can help you through your journey!

Breezy

Wow, Bryn, you're certainly juggling a lot right now! Good luck getting all the tests done and welcome to the board. This really is a great place! :blush:

I had my sleeve done four days ago and I'm amazed at how very little pain was involved. My biggest complaint was headache. I never considered anything but the sleeve and you will notice there are a lot of bands that revise to sleeve. I don't think you'll be sorry. Good luck!

thanks for the welcomes everyone!!!

I have already scheduled my nutritionist consult, psych eval and my first PCP weigh in. Doctor told me to try and lose weight by supplementing one meal for a liquid Meal Replacement (suggested low carb slim fast). I'm no stranger to slim fast so I'm ok with it lol (gonna alternate between Breakfast, lunch and dinner)

:angry:

Hi Bryn, I'm in the same boat, starting out thinking I was going to do the band, and switched to the VSG.

Good luck with everything!

Hi Bryn,

I too started over on Lapbandtalk.com, but wanted to do plenty of research before coming to a decision. Once I started seriously considering the long term complications of the band I decided it wasn't for me and looked for an alternative.

The bypass was never an option for me due to bowel issues, so that left the sleeve. It sounded terrifying at first, and I almost scrapped the idea. But after chatting to these guys on here for a month or so and doing tons of research, I decided to go ahead privately as I live in Guernsey and the local health department do not financially support WLS of any kind.

I was sleeved 10 days ago in Southampton, and recovery is going well. I am SO happy I didn't go with the band. You're in the right place for support and helpful information, trust me. There's nothing these guys don't know! :thumbup1:

Welcome! And good luck on your journey! xx

Welcome to the group. Sounds like you are well on your way with your appointments and such.

One thing I learned pre-surgery was how much my emotions would fluctuate. One day I was totally pumped and the next I was like "what am I thinking". It's totally normal and many of us have been there/done that. Feel free to post questions, vent, freak out, Celebrate with us at any time.

Welcome Bryn

We chose VSG for the same reasons and for me it was the best choice. I am only 1 month in from surgery but, if you ever have any newbie questions that I can answer I will certainly try.

I plan to have weight loss surgery i still not sure watch one i was thinging

about gastric bypass or the sleeve gastrectomy.

do you you recommend any sites where I may obtain more information on both

procedures.

I think a lot of folks go from possible surgery to possible surgery until they find the one that suits them best. I know I did that.

I was totally convinced the band was for me, until I spoke with some people who'd actually had it. The more I read about it, the more I realized it wasn't for me.

So I switched to the RNY surgery. Until I spoke to some people who'd had it. None of them appeared healthy, and every one of them had had complications of some sort. It was pretty scary stuff. (And I have an Aunt who had it, and she's a mess.)

Then I talked to a bariatric surgeon who is also a patient. He had the sleeve. When I asked him why he chose the sleeve, he said it was the right choice for him. I stepped back and considered my goals and needs with that perspective, and it became a no-brainer.

With luck I'll have my surgery before the end of the year. And then all these "losers" here will have to slide over and make room for another "loser" to join them on the bench. :crying:

Dave