Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety about going out to eat

Today is my husband's birthday, so I'm taking him out to eat. We both got sleeved in July, and haven't been out to eat since then. I'm feeling anxiety at the whole idea of it, but a little excited because I know I can't eat too much. I am hoping to enjoy a shared meal with him, and not have to feel guilty afterward. I think we'll probably go to a steakhouse and eat something with lots of Protein. I just hope I don't screw up. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Did you feel this way, too?

Oh, I almost forgot...We already went to the gym and worked out, so I am having a good day so far, and hoping it continues!

My boyfriend and I go out to eat WAY too much (5 times a week, at least). I find that I rarely have problems with eating out. Sometimes whatever I eat takes a few minutes to settle down - I find that it's more likely to happen if I don't painstakingly chew everything. I just avoid fried food, bread, and creamy sauces. I do particularly well at Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants - I'll order sashimi and take leftovers home (if you cover it in a plastic wrap, it should be ok for one day in the fridge), or miso or some Vietnamese Soup and then pick out the pieces of chicken or beef from the Soup. Any sort of stew-type of dish works well, too. I had some lamb curry at an Indian restaurant yesterday and it was nice and soft. Pasta is pretty easy on the stomach, too. I've had a few bites of lasagna (both vegetarian and with meat) before, and it was easy to eat; ravioli with ricotta and Tomato sauce are another thing I've tried that worked well. There are definitely lots of options that should go down easy, just be prepared to either share an order or take a LOT of leftovers home.

P.S. Oh, and re: feeling guilty....like I mentioned above, I avoid bread, fried foods, and creamy sauces, and of course no dessert or drinks, so there's not much to feel guilty about. No one gets fat from 2 bites of Pasta.< /p>

Well, we did it! We shared a meal and brought enough leftovers home for probably 3 more meals (maybe even 4...). The food was really good, but it was even better that I couldn't eat much. We ordered a loaded chicken breast/beef brisket combination from the steakhouse, and for sides we got green Beans and sauteed mushrooms. My husband would have eaten the meal by himself just a couple months ago, and I would have eaten nearly as much, too. Instead, I had about 4 bites of chicken, and a couple green Beans, while he ate half a slice of the brisket and a couple mushrooms. We brought home way more than we were able to eat. This sleeve thing is awesome!

BlackBerryJuice--The Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants sound great, but I live in the middle of nowhere, and the closest we have to that is the Hong Kong Buffet, which is (clearly) not close at all. No Indian either, and I've never even had Indian food. That's how sheltered I am. Sad, right?

Glad to hear you had a great time!! Curry is not very hard to make if you feel adventurous... you can get the spice at the grocery store. (it will be milder than the real stuff but it works) take some chicken and simmer it in the curry (about one tablespoon or two) for about 30minutes with a little butter or water... and boom you have some yummies at home! :) There are tons of recipes for Indian food online. I love curry!! :) I will miss rice after the surgery eheh but I won't miss my huge jeans. ROFL