Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's official....I'm SLEEVED!

Thank you Krista. The doctor gave me a prescription for Protonix and I've been taking the prescribed dosage of 1 per day. I don't understand how that could help the hunger pains though. I've only experienced heartburn or reflux once since surgery this past Wednesday. I too was very bad and took two bites of refried Beans last night because i was feeling so hungry. What about Protein shakes? Do you drink those? Pre-op I drank the ready-made Atkins shakes and they worked really well for me.

I'm not quite on shakes yet. Still clears until Tuesday (whoo hoo!! Hurry Tuesday!!), but I have the EAS Advantage Carb Control that I have been using on and off for years that I love. The Adkin's ones are good too, but these were cheaper and I could find them in bulk at BJ's Wholesale.

I felt the same way - how could acid be causing this hunger? :confused1: I don't know how....but it does and did for me. I know you say that you are on a PPI, but in my (humble) opinion the fact that you have experienced heartburn while you were on the PPI suggests to me that you may still have too much acid. I had heartburn prior to surgery and have not had it once since surgery and being on the PPI. I'd bring this up to your doc and see what he says - maybe he will have you double your dosage or try something else. It is not uncommon. I saw where someone else started taking a little bit of liquid Mylanta when she felt the acid hunger and it really worked for her, too. It calmed the acid and took away her hunger feeling.

The acid hunger is way more common then I had thought and I must have missed people talking about it before I had surgery (and I was obsessivly on the boards trying to get as much info as possible)...I asked about being overly hungry on 3 different boards and the first thing people suggested was the acid.

It can't hurt and if it works for you and takes away that hunger feeling, it is 100% worth it. TRUST ME - I feel 100% better!!! :biggrin2:

For me, and I'm just speaking on my pain level, it is probably a 7 or 8. I am in alot of pain and discomfort. I cannot lie down for long periods of time because the gas pains are so intense. The thought of taking a drink makes it worse, because I know as soon as I swallow there is going to be ALOT of pain, and as a result, I'm not getting in my full 64 oz. daily. I have another question....along with the gas pains, I feel hungry, very hungry also. Is this normal too? I don't see how I'm going to stay on Clear Liquids for TWO weeks. The thought of any more Jello, chicken broth, or flavored Water makes me sick. Any suggestions? I am opened to anything right now....

Thanks all.

I didn't have to stay on clears once I left the hospital, but I know exactly how you feel I HATE CLEARS! My doctor gave me the all liquid diet (anything that fits through a straw), so it's much better.

I don't feel hungry I feel stuffed to the top when I eat a little. I also dread drinking because of the pain and I know I'm not getting in the full 64 oz. either, but I am for sure getting more in with each new day, which is progress. I'm just trying to get by one day at a time right now :confused1:

Okay, I'm a little over two weeks out and everytime I eat I burp several times like a beer guzzeling man. It's so embarassing. I hope it goes away or I'll never be able to eat out again! Does anyone know anything about how long it lasts?

Hi Sleeve Sista! I was sleeved the same day. I feel remarkably well but tire easily. My grandkids were over for the weekend and they helped normalize things for me, We even went to Chuckie cheese for my little princess's 3rd birthday. All went well and she was thrilled! I have to admit I was tired but came home and took a nap. It's funny how old habits die hard. I was cutting her cake and got a big gob of icing on my finger. Automatically straight to the mouth. Just as I was there a voice in my head shrieked "Stop fool. That's pure sugar!" Luckily I had napkin handy so I only got a smidgen.(but it WAS good LOL).

Hi Sleeve Sista! I was sleeved the same day. I feel remarkably well but tire easily. My grandkids were over for the weekend and they helped normalize things for me, We even went to Chuckie cheese for my little princess's 3rd birthday. All went well and she was thrilled! I have to admit I was tired but came home and took a nap. It's funny how old habits die hard. I was cutting her cake and got a big gob of icing on my finger. Automatically straight to the mouth. Just as I was there a voice in my head shrieked "Stop fool. That's pure sugar!" Luckily I had napkin handy so I only got a smidgen.(but it WAS good LOL).

Thanks for sharing. That put a smile on my face! :)

OMG, I'm so jealous. Where in the world did you find the energy to go to Chuck E. cheese? Are you not experiencing ANY gas pains? I am miserable and I'm so ready for the day to come when I will feel better. I only sleep about 2 hours at a time and the gas pains wake me in my sleep. I can't seem to get comfortable lying down either. I'm really bummed right now, but I'm so happy for you that you are feeling good.

Unfortunately I do not have a recliner, but I have been propping myself up on pillows. I appreciate your encouragement and advice and believe me, I'm taking it all in. You are all very much appreciated. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

XOXOXO

OMG, I'm so jealous. Where in the world did you find the energy to go to Chuck E. cheese? Are you not experiencing ANY gas pains? I am miserable and I'm so ready for the day to come when I will feel better. I only sleep about 2 hours at a time and the gas pains wake me in my sleep. I can't seem to get comfortable lying down either. I'm really bummed right now, but I'm so happy for you that you are feeling good.

I actually feel good. My doctor gave me 2 meds I believe are really helping, Both are for acid reflux-one I take once a day, the other I take before meals and at bed time. I have had very little burping or gas pains and no cramping. Am I a happy camper!?! Went grocery shopping at Walmart this morning(I cheated and got one of those drivable electric carts) and it went very well. I am ready for a nap as soon as I finish my lunch(HA,HA cream of chicken Soup with Protein powder). Hang in there!

P.S. All I did at Chuckie cheese was guard the birthday cake at the table. I let the youngsters run after the grandbabies.:thumbup:

LOL...thank you for the laugh. I needed that. I'm only on one PPI (which could be the problem). Are you experiencing any hunger pangs? Unfortunately I am, and I'm not getting all of my Water in. I'm a bit shocked that you can have cream of chicken Soup so early during your clear liquids phase. Did your doctor advise that?

The other morning my hubbt was killing some eggs on the stove when I woke up and I thought that's the first time I've been hungry. By the time I took my meds the moment had passed. I was only on the clear liquids while in the hospital. The doctor said to go to full liquids the next day.I had my Protein Drinks and all my Water the first day. Making myself sip was the hardest part. The next day I tried the low fat cream of chicken Soup and tolerated it well. It is just a half a cup at a time, strained so there are no lumps or chicken pieces. When I first heard of it, I thought UGH! cream of chicken soup by itself! Its supposed to be used to make gravy and casseroles! Actually it tasted good and no side effects. Looks like a keeper to me. I'm going to get some plain Protein Powder tomorrow and mix it in and use it for a Protein Drink too.

The other morning my hubbt was killing some eggs on the stove when I woke up and I thought that's the first time I've been hungry. By the time I took my meds the moment had passed. I was only on the clear liquids while in the hospital. The doctor said to go to full liquids the next day.I had my Protein drinks and all my Water the first day. Making myself sip was the hardest part. The next day I tried the low fat cream of chicken Soup and tolerated it well. It is just a half a cup at a time, strained so there are no lumps or chicken pieces. When I first heard of it, I thought UGH! cream of chicken soup by itself! Its supposed to be used to make gravy and casseroles! Actually it tasted good and no side effects. Looks like a keeper to me. I'm going to get some plain Protein powder tomorrow and mix it in and use it for a protein drink too.

:blush:Oh, my gosh, I'm so jealous. I'm almost three weeks out and am just starting to get some energy back. I finally get to puree some chicken. I never thought I'd be able to eat it but it tastes pretty good after not having any real food for so long.:thumbup: It's wonderful that you have so much engery.

For me, and I'm just speaking on my pain level, it is probably a 7 or 8. I am in alot of pain and discomfort. I cannot lie down for long periods of time because the gas pains are so intense. The thought of taking a drink makes it worse, because I know as soon as I swallow there is going to be ALOT of pain, and as a result, I'm not getting in my full 64 oz. daily. I have another question....along with the gas pains, I feel hungry, very hungry also. Is this normal too? I don't see how I'm going to stay on clear liquids for TWO weeks. The thought of any more Jello, chicken broth, or flavored Water makes me sick. Any suggestions? I am opened to anything right now....

Thanks all.

I don't have it as bad as you, my pain level is at at 2 to 3, but when I drink it is like a 5 to 6. I actually got in my fluids yesterday, but having a hard time with the Protein. I am right with you I don't know if I can take anymore Jello, chicken broth. Yesterday I bought some suger free popcicles, and thought I was in heaven, and the thought of another whole week of this makes me want to scream. On top of that every other commercial is for food, if I see another AppleB's commercial I'm going to go postal. lol I hope your pain gets better, and just know you are not alone.