Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gina,

I'm following your story very closely. I'm starting to see more and more hair on my bathroom counter, in my brush, on my floor, stuck to my clothes, in my car . . . ya, pretty much everywhere. Keep us posted on what's going on with yours.

Thanks.

OK, update number 3.

I recieved the results from my blood work. All Vitamins are just fine. Wasnt to shocked there, frankly how could it be otherwise with the multi-vitamins/calcium I've been taking. Not to mention the daily salads. So my primary care is refering me to a dermatologist. Shall I go? Is it worth my time when we all really know the reason I'm going to look like Captain Picard in a couple of months? hehe I've even starting saving my hair in a bag so I can really see how much I'm loosing.

I'm still taking the Biotin, and I went and bought the Nioxin starter kit. I havent noticed a change yet, but its not even been a week with the Nioxin. The salon said that might take about a month. Yipee.

I'll call the dermatologist tommorow. What can it hurt right? UGH.

I resorted to a Dermi, too - after I had had my thyroid tested and upped my Protein and Vitamins etc to the max. He didn't do me much good...just said it's the weight loss (not lack of Protein or Vitamins or anything I am doing/not doing) and he sees quite a bit of it in WLS patients. Be glad you didn't have the bypass, he said. They lose a lot more hair.

My guy said the hair will PROBABLY come back, but might take up to a year. He promised I would not go bald...LOL.

Hair has three cycles - growing, resting, and shedding. Ours is shedding when it ought to be resting or growing.

Gina, Give the Nioxin a chance.. It works great. I lost all my hair and after a couple weeks of using it, I could see and feel new hair. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I have a full head of hair now, and even thicker, and I still use it. Goodluck and try to be positive.. : )

Hi all!

Anyone have a particular brand of Biotin you use? Also, where did you all get the Nioxin? Does the Nioxin have a pill too and can you take both?

I already have thinning hair and I won't be banded till end of July!!!

eeeekkkk help!

You can by Nioxin at almost any beauty salon, but it is much cheaper if you know someone to buy it for you at a supply store. Someone with a liscense. And yes the is a kit you can buy with Shampoo, Vitamins, and therapy treatment. I suggest to use it all. I love It!

I am trying to be patient, but I started to notice increased shedding right before my surgery, (probably from stress b/c I broke up with my boyfriend the month before) and in the 2-3rd month it is now full blown hair loss! It's so depressing. I wanted to control the shedding before I get my first fill, so I am just on maintenance on what I've lost. I've been taking Biotin every day and I am taking Iron, Vitamin E and B Vitamins.

This has happened before and I was prescribed Nizoral by the dermatologist. That worked wonders, it blocks something call DHTs that makes the hair fall out. Bought Nioxin and tried it for the first time today, the conditioner is wonderful! And I'm hoping to see results sooner rather than later. The only thing is Nizoral is extremely drying, and I chemically relax my hair, so I can't use it too often. Nioxin seems more moisturizing. Anyway, hope it works.... I really don't want to wait a year for this hair to grow back, I'm hoping to stem the tide, so I can get my first fill and start losing again (slowly this time!!!):phanvan

Hello All!

Yes another update from the soon to be bald. hehe

I finally got my Nioxin supplements a couple of days ago. I had ordered them online. These suckers are huge! I was scared to down the first pill, but became brave for the love of hair. Thankfully it went down. One more fill and I think I'm going to cut those suckers in half. I've been using the Shampoo and conditioner from Nioxin and still taking the Biotin. I cant tell whether or not its slowing down or I'm just running out of hair. :grouphug: But no regrowth right now, and yes I know that would be too soon. I estimate I've lost about half my hair right now. Very freakin depressing let me tell ya!

When I get some regrowth, I will update here. I hope this can help someone too. Oh! Before I forget, I'm waiting for my PCP to schedule the dermatologist appt.

Have a great day all!

Hey, I've been doing the Nioxin Shampoo, scalp treatment and follicle treatment for about a month. I have been able to notice a significant difference in the amount of loose hairs in my brush and on my sink. My hair seems fuller, but I'm not sure why. I really haven't had time to grow more, I think the Nioxin changes the texture a little.

I haven't done the Vitamins. I figure I'll do that if the shampoo/treatments don't show enough results. My stylist speaks very highly of Nioxin's results.

In the past, long before I had my banding done I noticed my hair was thinning. I went to a dermatologist then. He couldn't find a d*mn thing wrong with me to explain why I was losing my hair. He told me that my Iron was "a little low" and maybe I should take Iron supplements to help with the Hair loss. That was of no help. So, GOOD LUCK with the dermatologist.

Thank god I read this thread. I'm on my way to buy Nioxin and Biotin both. I can't lose my hair. Not yet baby! Not yet.

After reading on article online, I thought I would share. There are several reasons for hair loss or sudden hair loss:

1. Rapid Weight Loss - will cause hair to fall out but is supposed to stop after awhile

2. Hypothyroidism - uncontrolled

3. Thyroiditis - hormone issues due to weight loss

Here is the link to the article

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2003/01_03/pn_hair.htm

Hair loss

Download this Patient Note in PDF format VOL 113 / NO 1 / JANUARY 2003 / POSTGRADUATE MEDICINE

You are worried by the increasing number of hairs that you find in your hairbrush each day. Will your hair ever stop falling out like this? Why is this happening, and is there anything you can do to stop it?

What is Hair loss?

On average, each person has 1 million hair follicles, or sacs from which hair may grow, on the scalp. Of this number, only 100,000 to 150,000 have hair growing from them. At any one time 80% to 90% of these follicles are growing hair; the remainder are "resting." With age, more follicles begin to rest. Normally, 100 to 150 hairs fall out each day; this number increases each fall and decreases each spring. Occasionally, more hairs fall out than normal--sometimes in clumps--leaving areas of thin hair or baldness. This condition is called alopecia (al-o-PEA-she-ah).

What causes hair loss?

Most hair loss results from changes in the levels of hormones, a group of chemicals naturally produced by the body. This occurs even though the measured levels of hormones remain within the normal range; people who experience this type of hair loss appear to be especially sensitive to these changes in hormone levels.

People whose parents have experienced hair loss are more likely to have it, too. A condition called androgenetic alopecia occurs in some men, who begin to lose hair at the top or front of the head starting between ages 20 and 40. This type of alopecia eventually also affects at least one in four women, who lose some or a lot of hair all over their head.

Various diseases and other conditions can cause hair follicles to go into the resting stage, resulting in bald Patches. Severe or prolonged illness, starvation, anorexia nervosa, rapid weight loss, infection, injury, and excessive blood loss can all cause hair to fall out. Many women experience hair loss after childbirth, a miscarriage, or a change in their birth control pill prescription. Certain drugs, such as amphetamines, anticancer agents, gout medication, isotretinoin (Accutane), lithium, male hormones, propranolol hydrochloride (Inderal), and valproic acid (Depacon, Depakene, Depakote), also can cause hair loss.

About 1 in 100 people experience a condition called alopecia areata during their lifetime. This type of hair loss usually occurs quickly and results in one or several oval or circular areas of baldness. The cause is unclear, although this disease has been known to occur in persons who have such diseases as lupus erythematosus, thyroiditis, or vitiligo. Hair usually regrows in these bald spots, but it may not regrow if the disease is severe, also affects the nails, occurs in children, or lasts longer than 5 years. Infection with ringworm, certain bacteria, herpes zoster (shingles), and HIV also has been blamed for hair loss, as have syphilis and AIDS.

A lack of Iron in the body may lead to hair loss, particularly in young and middle-aged women. In rare cases, a lack of zinc may be to blame. Conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes, hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, or use of the hormone testosterone in postmenopausal women may also cause hair loss.

Poor hair care, such as use of hot combs or very tight braiding, as well as scarring from cosmetic surgery, may result in hair loss.

How long will hair loss last?

Hair loss usually begins 6 to 16 weeks after the start of the illness, condition, or therapy that caused it. In most instances, it stops after several months, except when androgenetic alopecia is involved. Total hair loss is rare except in the case of anticancer drugs, although the hair usually grows back after treatment ends.

How can I stop hair loss?

Many cases of hair loss get better on their own over time. Others may respond slowly to treatment. However, any hair that grows back may be thinner than the hair you had originally. It is a good idea to doubt advertising claims about so-called cures using Vitamins, herbs, or nutritional supplements; none of these treatments have been proven to work for hair loss. For men with androgenetic alopecia, physicians may prescribe the drug finasteride (Propecia) to be taken by mouth or recommend the over-the-counter drug minoxidil (Minoxidil for Men, Rogaine) to be applied to the scalp. Women may be given minoxidil or a hormonal or Iron supplement. If the hair loss is caused by an infection, an antifungal or antibacterial medication can be helpful. Alopecia areata sometimes responds to use of a steroid drug.

I'm seeing a Dermatologist next Thursday. My hair loss is very scary. I'm sure and hoping he tells me it's the rapid weight loss and yes, I am 3 months out today and my hair is seemingly coming out at the touch. I have Biotin which is just a Vitamin but I will purchase Nioxin to see what's up with that.

Once I meet up with the Dermatologist next Thursday, I will then go to the beauty salon and have it all chopped off. If it's gonna come out and regrow again in a few months, I will be the one to take it off! I'm gonna do the bald thing. Like G.I. Jane. Extremist measures.

*edited*

Ok Ok, maybe not G.I. Jane.. but I really want it short..very short. We'll see what happens and if Doc says it will all be alright. If everything is ok, then maybe I'll just leave the hair alone for 3 more months to see if it all comes back the way it used to be prior to surgery.

I'm hoping that the doctor diagnosis me with telogen effluvium, then that would explain alot and I can be patient with my hair coming back. I always had a head full of thick, silky hair...

Yeah, the bald idea upset my TriciaK I think. She smacked my wrist for that bright idea.