Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about Mexico Surgery!!

I went to Dr Rod and he was wonderful! They gave me a diet plan when I left and when I ran into some issues with eating some I shouldn't have Dr Rod was very helpful with his advice on how to handle the issue.

If I had to do it over again I would still go to Mexico.

Out of curiousity, how much cheaper is it in Mexico? My sleeve is set for 9/7 here in Dallas TX- my insurance excludes any bariatric surgeries, so I am paying out of my pocket.

Donna,

I'm having surgery with Dr. Aceves tomorrow and the all-inclusive price was $8750 including transportation to and from the San Diego airport to Mexicali, MX, hotel the night before surgery, 3 nights in the hospital, all pre-op tests and leak tests. There is also after-care support via phone/email. A companion can come and stay in your hospital room for free.

To the initial post: your concerns are valid. Having tests done the day before surgery is fine if there's nothing wrong with you--but if there is you need to know in time enough to solve the problem before surgery. It's important if you have co-morbidities.

You need to locate a bariatric surgeon local to where you live and see if he will do followup with you. Research complication symptoms on the web so you will know if a trip to the ER is needed once you're home.

Have your regular doc do bloodwork before you go so you can correct any deficiencies beforehand, and after you get home, same thing. If your doc can find an excuse for you to have a ECG before you go, do it, just to make sure it's normal. If you have stomach problems, get your doc to do an upper GI test to rule out ulcers or hiatial hernia. There are reasons for the tests done in the US a month in advance--it's so the surgeon knows what he's dealing with, and has time to correct anything that's a problem.

For nutrition, you can Google for well known programs' guidelines. These include Cornell University and the mayo Clinic, among others.

If you can do this, you'll have the best of both worlds--US caution and Mexican prices.

Out of curiousity, how much cheaper is it in Mexico? My sleeve is set for 9/7 here in Dallas TX- my insurance excludes any bariatric surgeries, so I am paying out of my pocket.

My cost was $6k, including airfare and first night in a hotel. I traveled alone however a guest would have stayed with me for no charge. And the food the staff cooks, smells amazing! : )

You can read about my experience at the link below.

If I did self-pay or Mexico, I'd definitely go for the behavior modification program OF SOME TYPE. Just to figure out why I have such issues with food, and develop a plan to resolve these. Otherwise the surgery is just a stop-gap measure for 2 years until you return to your bad habits.

I agree with you up until the last line ... I am only 6 months out, not 2 years, but there is absolutely no way I could return to old habits - my stomach will not allow me.

I am at the point that I eat whatever items I want on a daily basis; the quantity is not a choice tho, 2-4 oz tops every 2-4 hours. To me, the overfullness is even worse than Thanksgiving dinner. Possibly because the pain is up higher and sometimes into your throat.

I usually limit myself to one treat a day (cookies and milk usually : ) however if I also decide I want a few chips, I eat them.

The mental has definitely been the most difficult aspect for me - and unless I ate straight sugar or fat all day long, I don't see how I could eat enough to gain weight.

Right now I am just trying to eat enough to stop my weight loss! :)

What is a good link for the surgery in Mexico. I am currently waiting on my insurance to make the decision on having my surgery. They told me that if my BMI was over 40 - no questions asked, they would cover it 90%, but, you all know when it comes down to it, they can all back out. How much does it cost to have it done in Mexico verses the U.S.

I had surgery last February, and really haven't needed any aftercare. The food plan I chose to use was easy to follow. google Cornell University Gastric Sleeve Guidelines.

My primary doctor has been supportive and ran full labs at about 3 months post op. Everything was great - just a little low in Vit D, but then the sun really isn't out much in my corner of the world! LOL

There is always that "what if" factor in every surgery ... I based my willingness to go to Mexico on prior surgeries. I have always recovered quickly, with few pain meds and no complications.

Would be nice if you could find a doctor before you have surgery just in case you do need something afterwards.

Good Luck!

Your results are what I'm looking for :) Which sleeve did your have? VSG or VSP (plication or aka super sleeve)

Hey Thanks for everyones replies. I have been a stay at home mom for years but last week I went to work to help pay for my surgery. It just felt wrong to put all the pressure on my hubby to come up with $7000 extra when I am the one with the weight to lose. He is supportive and would pay it without a 2nd thought but this way I am helping and also not setting around wishing for my surgery date to get here! I was becoming obsessed with the site and it just made it seem that much further away til I got mine done.

But I do feel better now that I know most people have done wonderfully after going to Mexico without all the testing. I am lucky that I dont have any comorbidies so I feel better about it.

What is a good link for the surgery in Mexico. I am currently waiting on my insurance to make the decision on having my surgery. They told me that if my BMI was over 40 - no questions asked, they would cover it 90%, but, you all know when it comes down to it, they can all back out. How much does it cost to have it done in Mexico verses the U.S.

I had surgery with Dr.Corvala in Tijuana: http://www.angeleshealth.com/procedures/weight-loss/default.aspx

Dr. Aceves: LAP-BAND,laparoscopic banding,bariatric surgery,obesity

These are the Drs I researched and got comfortable with. I chose Dr. Corvala, since I had sleeve plication vs. vsg.....both are great Drs.

I had surgery with Dr.Corvala in Tijuana: http://www.angeleshealth.com/procedures/weight-loss/default.aspx

Dr. Aceves: LAP-BAND,laparoscopic banding,bariatric surgery,obesity

These are the Drs I researched and got comfortable with. I chose Dr. Corvala, since I had sleeve plication vs. vsg.....both are great Drs.

I've been researching as well and I'm trying to make a good decision.

Why did you choose plication over vsg? And why Dr Covala over Dr. Aceves? Has one performed more plication procedures than the other?

Your input it appreciated:confused1:

I'm definitely going to Mexico for my surgery, I'm just trying to decide on which Dr and which procedure, VSG versus VSP?? What are the Pre-tests that I've seen mentioned on this site? Is this something that I need to do in the states prior to going to Mexico? What are the tests? :confused1:

Hi Everyone:

Could someone please explain the difference between VSG and VSP? My insurance will cover because of underlying health condition (sleep apnea, for one) but the hoops that one has to jump through for both my bariatric practice and the insurance take so long that it seems like it would be just as easy to go to Mexico and pay out of pocket. Not that I have that kind of money lying around but I'm just so tired of lugging around this weight.

If anyone could explain the difference between the two procedures, I'd really appreaciate the info! Thanks!

Andrea

I also have to add that I did complete the orientation process but did not follow through with the other appointments because I had not been able to talk to anyone personally who had VSG done. I live in a rural area. Since then I've been able to and am seriously leaning toward getting on with the program.