Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really could use some advice

I had the TGVP aka Super Sleeve done on 7-12-10 and after a month I lost 27 lbs. I sent BeLiteWeight my update info and now they are wanting me to be their poster child for the super sleeve. They are even willing to pay me for rights to the pictures I send them.

I am really wanting advice on if I should do it or not. As wonderful as it sounds to be one of the faces of the super sleeve, I'm just wanting to make sure others think it is okay to put my face out there like that. My sister is the poster child for her dr in Texas for her lap band (she lost over 100 lbs and has kept it off for four years now) but she she very open about her wls. Not a lot of people know I had wls. So I guess that is part of my worry.

Would you do it if asked? Have you done it?

Edited by mellifrits

I think it's really a personal decision. There are probably people who would never consider it and others that would jump at the chance. I think you just have to weigh YOUR pros and cons.

If I were to lose a lot, and someone wanted my pictures, I'd give it to them in a second, but that's because I would really feel like I accomplished something to be proud of, and also someone to sort of be accountable to, if that makes sense. But I'm not keeping this surgery a secret really at all, so I can't say if it would make you uncomfortable.

I know when I was making the decision between the VSG and the TGVP through BeLiteWeight, there wasn't enough info. on the TGVP to convince me, so if there had been someone like you who was ahead of me, it would have been nice to see that it really does work.

I think it's awesome that they asked you; it proves just how good you have done so far. Clearly, you rock!

I personally would do it. I wish I could go to every college in the U.S. and tell them our stories. You are so young and understand what people your age are dealing with. My daughter is 16 and has PCOS, she has gained 50 pounds in the past year. She takes Karate twice a week and works out at the YMCA 2 days a week. I feel so bad for her because I know what it feels like to want to wear the clothes that are in style. My daughter is beautiful. (I will post pics of her). Anyways I would pay for the VSG for her at young age in a heart beat. Its sad to watch her loose her confidence.

Im not telling you that this is the best choice for you. Its just a reason I would do it.

BTW who cares if people know you lost weight this way. Its not like you are on crack or killed someone. People will judge regardless.

I think the main thing pulling me to do it is helping others. I had so many questions pre op and the more info out there the better.

I guess I shouldn't care who knows but I am so use to hissing in the back ground so ppl can't talk about me.

I think it's terrific! You have been such a help to us here on the board, and you will now be able to inspire so many more!

Rock on chica!

I wouldn't do it but that's just me. I am very careful about telling people that I had WLS. I don't like the comments I hear when people are talking about other people I know who had surgery. I like to be private about it.

If you are okay with everyone who is going to see that, more power to you!

I wouldn't do it but that's just me. I am very careful about telling people that I had WLS. I don't like the comments I hear when people are talking about other people I know who had surgery. I like to be private about it.

If you are okay with everyone who is going to see that, more power to you!

After reading oregondaisy's post - I change my mind... I am also a private person and wouldn't personally do it, but to each their own! And also depending on the compensation lol! But you look so terrific! :thumbup:

As far as I know these surgeries are good and successful. There are people out there that need to hear more about it so that they will see the upside.

Go for it, unless you are private about it. There is nothing wrong with doing it, as long as you are spreading the message of doing it with caution and great doctors.

I am very open about my surgery and willing to answer any questions anyone has. That is just my personality. I am not ashamed of my surgery and don't much care what anyone else thinks about it. Several people have asked me for information for themselves or for friends.

I would do it

I would have to weigh (pun intended hehe) the amount of compensation to how badly you want to keep it private. I live in a smallish community so unless I was willing to embrace my choice publicly when I was approached I would have to say no.

If however I wasn't from a rural area and was compensated pretty well I would probably decide to take the compliment, try to embrace the surgery and then strut my stuff!