Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you get on the scale?

I'm 10 days post-op, and feeling fabulous, except I need to stay off the scale. That's really hard for me, because seeing the numbers drop has always been a motivator for me in the past. Now I feel like I don't really need that, but old habits are hard to break. And it has been nice to see my first 14 lbs. post-op just kind of fall off. But this morning, I didn't lose anything. Exact same number on the scale as yesterday. I try to think what I did wrong, but I'm still on full liquids, and I didn't do anything differently. I am obsessing over it, when I think maybe I should just put the scales away for a week and then try to make this a weekly endeavor. How often do you get on the scale? Do you think weekly is better than daily?

I only weigh every couple of weeks. It was so discouraging to get on the scale every day and see weight gain instead of loss. I finally threw out my scales.

I pay really close attention to how my clothes "feel". I know I'm loosing because I go down a size a month, on average. I started at a tight 28 and am now in a "loose" size 12.

Just remember that the weight didn't just get on your body overnight and it won't come off overnight. Seems like during the weight loss journey, even little weight gains can be discouraging and it is hard not to focus on the gains and let it start controlling your mind.

As you loose weight, you will feel more like getting out and exercising. Remember that with exercise, fat turns to muscle. Muscle weighs more. People tend to forget this when they climb on the scale and get discouraged. You are loosing inches but "putting on weight" due to increased muscle mass.

Keep your eye on the prize and don't fall into the trap of letting the scales sabatoge you. You are gonna do great!!!!!!

Remember to always weigh yourself around the same time everyday. Since bodies change so much throughout the day and such. (least this is what I have always been told). I think once a week is a good. Make it a Sunday ritual or something like that- if The Biggest Loser were on where I live I would weigh in with them every week like an at home contestant. Haha.

I used to do it everyday, and it really affected my mood. Now, I don't weigh myself at all the week of my period, and I only do a body test every couple weeks on my Wii Fit. I prefer the body test on the Wii as opposed to the regular scale because its more comprehensive and my traditional scale kept giving me different numbers depending on where I stood.

I have the same problem, I can't seem to stay off of the scale. It is so rewarding to see those pounds fall away..but then you hit a few days where the darn thing won't budge and like you said you start to wonder what you are doing wrong. Those old feelings of doubt and fear of failure creep in so easily. I know I need to stop weighing everyday, but haven't succeeded in accomplishing that yet - it is all still so new and exciting.

This is definitely a matter of personal opinion as the ol' scale affects us all differently. But, I weigh daily..twice to be exact. I weigh in the morning and at night. I find that I don't beat myself up if it doesn't move or fluctuates up (I know I didn't eat 3500 calories to cause a pound gain!). And, I like to start my day with a reminder of my goals.

Pre-op, I didn't own a scale because constant weighing would just drive me crazy. Post-op I bought one, and guess what? Constant weighing is driving me crazy. In addition, my scale seems to be possessed. It seems to have a range or plus or minus 5 lbs every time I step on it. In one days I will lose 5 lbs, gain 5 lbs, and lose it again. I realize that weight fluctuates with time of day, but this is ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that I keep weighing myself. I swear I'm going to put the scale in the closet for a month, follow the diet rules, and just wait and see what happens. I think I will feel less crazy that way.

I'm into week eight and I'm on the scale almost every single day! :thumbup1: I can't help it. I've gone DAYS and the scale hasn't moved...or it will go up one day and down the next, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm doing everything right, so I'm not worried!! I am sure my body thinks I'm starving and at times it is HOLDING ONTO EVERYTHING...literally for days at a time. Several times the scales haven't moved for four or five days or it will go up a lb one day and down the next. Then one day I'll get on and be down two and it will stay that way! It's great, I love it. I know that once I was able to, and figured out that I needed to UP MY Protein, it helps!! I get in between 60 and 80 grams per day. I've settled on GNC Protein bullets, Blue Raspberry are the least offensive!! LOL Only 3.4 oz and I can take a few sips in the AM a few around lunch and then again later on and finish it up....and I've gotten in 42 grams!! This flavor is not bad, the grape was STRONG!! Good luck....sorry to be so wordy!! :)

I'm 10 days post-op, and feeling fabulous, except I need to stay off the scale. That's really hard for me, because seeing the numbers drop has always been a motivator for me in the past. Now I feel like I don't really need that, but old habits are hard to break. And it has been nice to see my first 14 lbs. post-op just kind of fall off. But this morning, I didn't lose anything. Exact same number on the scale as yesterday. I try to think what I did wrong, but I'm still on full liquids, and I didn't do anything differently. I am obsessing over it, when I think maybe I should just put the scales away for a week and then try to make this a weekly endeavor. How often do you get on the scale? Do you think weekly is better than daily?

I guess I really need to be better about getting in my Protein. I keep thinking when I get to mushies I will try to get more protein in my food, but even then it will be hard to get enough that way. I have been having a really hard time trying to choke down Protein Shakes, and I just need to do it. I think I'll go have one now, as I do know that can affect weight loss.

I used to do it everyday, and it really affected my mood. Now, I don't weigh myself at all the week of my period, and I only do a body test every couple weeks on my Wii Fit. I prefer the body test on the Wii as opposed to the regular scale because its more comprehensive and my traditional scale kept giving me different numbers depending on where I stood.

I threw my scale away and began weighing myself on the Wii as well. Is it pretty much in sync with your other scale or the doctor's scale?

I get on it several times a day. I've been the same weight for the last 3 days where as before I was seeing a 1-2lb loss a day. It doesnt' discourage me when I look in the mirror I see a lot of changes in my face and body. I just like updating my ticker :)

I get on the scale every morning (and sometimes even before bed) :(...wish I could do it once a week.

Once a week on Wednesdays only - that is my weekly marker day from my surgery. Also, I do weigh on the First and Last day of every month so I can keep track of how many Lbs I've lost for that particular month. Then one last day, I weigh on the 15th of every month to log the Lbs lost from the monthly marker day from my surgery day. Got it? LOL So really it's just weekly plus an additional 3 weigh-ins per month.

;)

Hi, I am almost 9 weeks out and I can not stop myself from weighing daily well twice daily it is so sick and the worse part is some days I get down because I didn't drop 5 lbs while I was sleeping!

Nancy

I usually weigh in once in the morning, but sometimes I will weigh right before bed and try to calculate how much I'll weigh in the morning (which never works). I'm obsessed with the scale as well -- I'm gonna try to limit my exposure to it (:lol:) by doing it only once a week -- that way I can revel in the NSVs and not have my mood be hampered by a number that I KNOW will go down eventually!