Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Picking my doctor...Viva la Mexico

Hi Chris,

Went to my PCP; good and bad news. She said if I loose 20 lbs before surgery she'll support me and do my follow up care. She wants to make sure I'm mentally and emotionally in the right place. Also, my body will be better prepared for surgery and life changes. She is onboard if i use the Colombian Dr. since she is colombian too and will be able to track the Dr.'s credencials and experience. Will not do it if i decide to go to Mexico. I guess she is looking after me and herself......So I will talk to surgeon about $$$ and start a diet plan.

How are you feeling? Do you have plans for your last dinner and drinks?? Good luck starting your pre-op diet tomorrow. Remember we are going to the Hard Rock!!LOL

That's great. Is the price comparable to MX. OMG..today the nerves started up again. I cleaned the whole house, washed everything and went grocery shopping for the family. Try to make less work for my return home. It is my husbands big 30, so we will be going out to dinner and drinks and cake! Oh I got some really comfy walking sneakers today. Work outs here I come! Hard Rock here WE come...LOL

Hi Everyone. Sorry it took so long to respond. I'm home from MX now. I went alone and had no problems doing so, but everyone else had someone with them. They had room in the recovery house for the the patient and their guests. The recovery house was comfortable and they have everything you need for after surgery, they also feed your guest and have drivers to bring you shopping or sightseeing if u want too. The clinic itself is small but clean. I had alot of pain the night of surgery, I would rate it about 8 out of 10 but the pain got alot better after walking around and as the days have past. I have only had nausea once and that was when they had us drink the blue dye for the leak test YUCK! But others in my group had more bouts of nausea. I feel pretty good now. just trying to stay hydrated and get use to my tiny tummy.

i also chose Dr. Aceves from Mexicali....i totally recommend him. His staff is very reliable and professional.....he is definitely your best choice. Check him out, read everything about him and you'll see the difference. Goodluck

Good to hear everything went well Rebecca!!!! I'm very afraid of being too nauseated. I'm anxious by nature though, which doesn't help.

I just left my PCM's office and I told her that I'm having the VSG done in Mexico. Lets just say she told me not to come see her if I have any problems. I told her I understand and I would go to the ER. I told her that I would come see her for any blood work and things like that. She said that would be follow up care and I can't come to her. Now correct if I'm wrong but I have the right to have blood work done. And I guess I will have to make sure I drink lots of Water because I would be S.O.L if I get dehydrated. I just don't know what to do.

See, this is what worries me about having the sleeve done in Mexico. Seriously, what is everyone doing for aftercare? Are you supposed to go back to Mexico for your 3/6/9/12 month checkups? What about labs and stuff? Has anyone found docs who are willing to take on their aftercare? This is a HUGE issue.

Hi Chris, How are you doing????

What are you eating now days? :confused1: I want details.

I am off in a week..............getting nervous. By the way if you still need a dr. for aftercare I've heard that Dr. Paul Wizman in Plantation does see patients that had surgery out of the country.

Saw your pics. Beautifull family.

Keep me posted...........

I am looking at having VSG with Dr. Almanza in Tijuana but I'm worried about the safety of travaling alone. Have any of ya'll traveled alone?

I am looking at having VSG with Dr. Almanza in Tijuana but I'm worried about the safety of travaling alone. Have any of ya'll traveled alone?

Hello jaytxmomma, I had my surgery with Dr. Almanza 8/18. I went alone and everything was fine. The clinic picks you up from the airport and brings you to the clinic. After surgery the driver takes you to the guest house. If you want to go shopping the driver goes with you. You are safe! If you have any questions PM me. Best wishes.

A lot of the Mexican packages include a driving service and lodging, and many times you'll find yourself spending your time with other patients who have purchased the same package. I wouldn't worry too much, but of course take the same precautions you'd take traveling anywhere-- keep your money/belongings out of site and closeby, don't trust anyone you don't know, etc. You'll do fine, just be careful and use the buddy system!

Hello jaytxmomma, I had my surgery with Dr. Almanza 8/18. I went alone and everything was fine. The clinic picks you up from the airport and brings you to the clinic. After surgery the driver takes you to the guest house. If you want to go shopping the driver goes with you. You are safe! If you have any questions PM me. Best wishes.

Thats good to know! I'm from Texas and right now the border towns are not that safe.:)

A lot of the Mexican packages include a driving service and lodging, and many times you'll find yourself spending your time with other patients who have purchased the same package. I wouldn't worry too much, but of course take the same precautions you'd take traveling anywhere-- keep your money/belongings out of site and closeby, don't trust anyone you don't know, etc. You'll do fine, just be careful and use the buddy system!

Thanks! My husband is worried about me going to Mexico for surgery by myself. Right now I'm worried about the trip not the surgery.

No problem. I'm very much looking forward to getting this over with and being on my way!

I have scheduled 11/10 with Dr. Ponce DeLeon. Can you let me know how it went for you? I am so nervous. Thanks. I will keep you in my prayers and I hope all goes well with you.

Thanks on again,

Rickie