Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

where is my period? for the ladies...

Did they by chance give you any blood thinners in the hospital?

Reason being is because the first surgery I had (Lap Band) they gave me a big ole shot of blood thinners to prevent clots.

If it can thin your your blood why can't it mess with your period. Of course nobody tells you such wonderul things. lol

Did they by chance give you any blood thinners in the hospital?

Reason being is because the first surgery I had (Lap Band) they gave me a big ole shot of blood thinners to prevent clots.

If it can thin your your blood why can't it mess with your period. Of course nobody tells you such wonderul things. lol

Lovenox and heparin are pretty standard during, and after surgery to prevent DVTs.

It hasn't ever messed with my periods, but the hormone flux, and stress from surgery caused mine to be out of whack.

thank you soo much for your helpful info. So my blood tests came out positive and it was confirmed by my gynecologist that i AM actually pregnant with my first baby!!!i'm sooooo excited,worried,scared & sooooo many other mixed feelings(happiness being the strongest of'em)what i was worried about was the what i heard from people that general anesthesia would hurt the baby, but thankfully my doctor assured me things will be just fine, since i have concieved around 8 or 9 days prior to my VSG which was on the 19th of this past month and my last period was on the 27th of june, now my main concern is nutrition for me and my baby since of today i could start eating soft foods but what worries me is am i getting enough nutrients for both of us, another concern is, will my body still continue to lose weight while i'm still preggo(since it WAS the main reason i ahd VSG)soooo much on my mind :S

A lot of VSG women that have gotten pregnant did continue to lose weight. One lady on OH gained a total of 11lbs with her pregnancy, and lost it the first week home with the baby. Her baby was born full term, healthy, happy, and weighed in around 6lbs. They both did great.

A lot of VSG women that have gotten pregnant did continue to lose weight. One lady on OH gained a total of 11lbs with her pregnancy, and lost it the first week home with the baby. Her baby was born full term, healthy, happy, and weighed in around 6lbs. They both did great.

thx soooooooo much for your help and advice, tomorrow will mark my 3 weeks post op and up to now i have lost a total of 19.5 pounds, which i think is great hearing from all my friends about how much weight is gained during pregnancy. I am feeling very sleepy lately and no appetite whatsoever, which makes me even more concerned about the baby being affected by this. My nutritionist put me on a high Iron and Protein diet to keep us both well nurished. Will keep you updated. thanks again :svengo:

Edited by Basbosa

I am so shocked that they performed surgery without doing a pregnancy test. Crazy enough, I am 54 still having periods (uhg!) and prior to having surgery (same day) they did a pregnancy test to confirm I was not pregnant and I had no indications of being pregnant (thank goodness and I think it's highly unlikely given my age).

I have read where most doctors indicate they do not want a pregnancy until a year or two has passed. My prayers are with you and congrats on your first child...they are a blessing!

I haven't seen anyone else say they had the same experience I did, but for me, the surgery actually caused me to start my period, which I wasn't expecting, since I had just had one the week before. Fortunately, it was short-only about 4-5 days, but I wasn't prepared for that.

I have been on depo and implanon for the last few years and have not had a period that whole time...literally years. I am now 2 weeks post op and have been having one for the last week! Grrrr! This has to be related to the surgery right? Anyone else not have one then start? Does it last or do you go back to not having one at all?

Mine's MIA too, with no possibility of being pregnant. I'm just enjoying the vacation from periods for the time being! lol

I had sinus surgery exactly 8 weeks prior to my VSG. Two days later, I started my period and it lasted a little over a week which is somewhat longer than usual for me. Then, I had no period until about 5 days after my 06/05/12 VSG surgery. Here I am 16 days postop my VSG amd I'm still on my period. Finally though, it is starting to slow down quite a bit. My periods have been almost non-existent in the past few years due to my weight. Truthfully, I liked only having a few periods a year. I think with weight loss they will probably come back. Where's menopause when you need it? :-)

thank you soo much for your helpful info. So my blood tests came out positive and it was confirmed by my gynecologist that i AM actually pregnant with my first baby!!!i'm sooooo excited' date='worried,scared & sooooo many other mixed feelings(happiness being the strongest of'em)what i was worried about was the what i heard from people that general anesthesia would hurt the baby, but thankfully my doctor assured me things will be just fine, since i have concieved around 8 or 9 days prior to my VSG which was on the 19th of this past month and my last period was on the 27th of june, now my main concern is nutrition for me and my baby since of today i could start eating soft foods but what worries me is am i getting enough nutrients for both of us, another concern is, will my body still continue to lose weight while i'm still preggo(since it WAS the main reason i ahd VSG)soooo much on my mind :S[/quote']

Congratulations!! I'm 30 and haven't been able to conceive. I hope I can after a year or two out :) awww I'm super happy for you!!