Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

local support group woes (a rant)

I went to my first support group Monday and I was sorely disappointed. It was run like a weight watchers meeting (minus the weigh-in, thank goodness). Newbies had to sit through a half hour orientation. I research a lot, so I actually knew most of what was in the orientation. Not interactive at all, just lecture--ugh. Then the same very nice but kind of naive ladies ran the meeting. We talked about food almost the whole time. Lots of testimonials about yummy Protein shakes, etc.There was a good learning piece with questions and answers and break-out groups, but that was about food too. (It was good because at least it was interactive.)

Lots of what I consider pseudo-scientific nutrition advice. Again, I research a lot, so when someone tells me that my Protein Drink will denature after I open it, I want to say, "so what?" Cooking denatures Protein too, but we all eat cooked eggs and meat and we absorb those OK. I didn't want to sound like a know-it-all (my tendancy anyway), so I kept my mouth shut, but I didn't hear a lot to help me.

I think I need OA instead of this group. I need to share my experience with others, but not to talk about food. All the food talk is triggering to me and this isn't a diet. This is about me learning how to use food to quell hunger instead of trying to use it to tamp down my feelings.

Sorry to hear that you have not found the right group for you. Are there other groups you could try? Possible resources is looking at bariatric practices in your area - many times they allow patients of other surgeons attend those sessions.

My WLS Suport Group does have a portion of each night focused on food - the leader (or designe) brings samples of items for us to try. There is no selling at the meeting, just suggestions for getting in Protein or healthy convenience foods. We also have a portion where we focus on a success of the month along with our struggle(s). We end each meeting by committing to a goal for the coming month - we say this out loud to help us feel support in that committment. Of course, it's mostly women so there is a lot of other chit chat, but I find that comforting.

We all need to find what works for us - just don't give up. I bet the right group is out there. If not, just come out here and share away. (This is my daily group!)

By looking at your city, I think we went to the same support group. I went once and I got an 'angel visit' at the hospital. I was happy about that. I always mean to go again, but I have gotten so much good interaction on this web sight, that I don't feel it necessary. I DO like the idea of the clothing exchange. But I haven't participated in that yet either.

When I went (night before my surgery) for the first and only time, they focused on the people that hadn't been approved yet. I'm not there anymore...I need answers for what I experience NOW. If they gave you a CD...do make a copy of it. It has some good information in it, but make sure your printer has LOTS of paper in it. LOL

I have been thinking of finding an OA meeting also. Maybe we will meet up there. I live on the east side (Rita Ranch)

Good luck, and enjoy your new life with the sleeve.:laugh0:

I went the support group in my city several months ago, as it was a requirement from my surgeon. It was a nice little meeting, but they all had the bypass, I was the only one that is going to have the sleeve, it has been a few months since I last went so, I'm going to try again and see if maybe there are any sleevers in there yet. I like talking with the girls, there was only 5 of us there at that meeting, and we just went around and told about our self, if they were post op they explained how they were doing how much they lost etc.

Well I called my local friends/acquaintances who had the surgery (a mother and daughter team, one had the sleeve and the other the bypass). I told them about the meeting. They suggested I try again, that every meeting is different. I decided to quit being so snarky, lower my expectations and get what I can out of it.

The same group had a clothing swap last weekend. I went and got some nice size L blouses. They fit!

Still will try OA though.

I went to my support group again tonight and still no sleevers. I was so disappointed, but the meeting went actually okay. Maybe next month. lol Thank goodness I have all of you.

This is the main reason I've avoided our support group. I hated, hated, hated WW meetings. I hope you find a group that can give you the support you need, and that can help you grow through your sleeve journey.