Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Typical Weight Loss...

I know that everyone is different but I just want to get an idea of what you all have lost typically in one week?

Today I weighed myself -- as I promised myself I would only do once a week -- I tried to weigh myself more often and would get disappointed.. So, I get on the scale today and saw that I have only lost 3 pounds. Should I be losing more?

I started at 207 prior to surgery. I had surgery on June 29th. So, technically I have lost 20 pounds in total. 10 pounds pre-op and 10 pounds post op. I am just asking because I see some people lose 10 pounds a week and I am wondering if it is all dependent on what the starting weight was (the more you have to lose, the faster you lose it?) ... :thumbup:

Totally depends on each person's starting stats. I lost an average of 6-8lbs a week for the first few months. Then it slowed down to 3-5lbs per week.

You've done really fabulous. 2-3lbs per week is suggested. I don't know what your starting BMI was, but the higher BMI people typically loser faster. Also, just from what I've read, many post-op diet differences seem to relate to weight loss and how fast/slow it drops.

My BMI was 40. My post op diet was pretty accelerated. I was only on Clear liquids 3 days and then mushies 4 days and then on to regular food after a week -- (soft foods). I calculate my calories and I have been eating on average of 500-600 calories per day (mostly from protein). I just thought it would come down more than that...My husband says that I expected to come out of surgery with all the weight lost. Who knows? Maybe I did.... But I wish it was more.. :thumbup:

Totally depends on each person's starting stats. I lost an average of 6-8lbs a week for the first few months. Then it slowed down to 3-5lbs per week.

You've done really fabulous. 2-3lbs per week is suggested. I don't know what your starting BMI was, but the higher BMI people typically loser faster. Also, just from what I've read, many post-op diet differences seem to relate to weight loss and how fast/slow it drops.

When you start feeling down, find something that is the weight of what you have lost & try to pick it up. You will realize just how much you have accomplished.

20 pounds in such a short time is amazing!!!! I was told to expect 10 pounds per month the first few months and then it would taper down to 5 or less a month. Pre-surgery, would you have been disappointed in that? Probably not. So, don't allow yourself to feel down. (I know I did & it was a waste of energy.) You CAN and WILL do this!

I felt the same way when I went to my doctor. But he reassured me and put me at ease by asking me have I ever lost this much weight in 2 weeks let alone 2 months. I replied no. So he said keep up the good work and you will see it come off. He also told me through this journey that we all will be going through phases. Phases of the scale not moving but inches lost and weeks where weight will just drop. So be patient and listen to your body for nutrition and exercise and you will see things work out. Good luck and stay blessed. I have faith in each and everyone of us that we can win this battle. Stay in the fight.

Very good point about the inches. When I find the scale is not moving, I usually see a drop in inches.

My BMI was 40. My post op diet was pretty accelerated. I was only on Clear Liquids 3 days and then mushies 4 days and then on to regular food after a week -- (soft foods). I calculate my calories and I have been eating on average of 500-600 calories per day (mostly from protein). I just thought it would come down more than that...My husband says that I expected to come out of surgery with all the weight lost. Who knows? Maybe I did.... But I wish it was more.. :thumbup1:

I think we all wish it "were more" on occasion. It's natural, we've gone through a drastic surgery, we are eating minimal amounts, and while we're "happy" about the loss, we still want more. It's how we are. I think back to when I would order a medium pizza for myself and son. It would have 8 slices, the kiddo would eat 2-3 slices, and that left me with 5-6 slices. After eating my portion, I would think "I should of ordered a large." At least that's my thought process, and experience.

You may not be getting enough calories. If you're active, you're body maybe holding on to the weight. shake things up, or stay the course, and you'll see the scale move.

I honestly can't say I understand stalls or slow loss. I lost fast, and never had a true stall, but I've dieted enough in my life to know how frustrating it can be. Don't give up on yourself, and know the scale will move.

I've lost about 20 pounds since my weigh-in 2 days before surgery. My surgery date was June 10, so you are doing quite well, even though you don't think so. My BMI was in the 38 range, so I do think my weight loss is slow, but at least I am losing weight. Of course my stomach has been a mess since the beginning and I've been in the ER with a UTI and have been working on antibiotics that kept me from eating, but that didn't help with the weight loss.

Look for the positives, i.e., you are finished with the surgery and aren't gaining... Also, you will have a healthier lifestyle from now on.

Terrie

I lost 6lbs pre op.. then regained it all whilst in hospital.

1st week I lost 9.5lbs

2nd weeks 5lbs

3rd week 2.75lbs (stalling for a bit but shifting a little)

4th week 5lbs

And I have stayed the same for the past week.....

My metabolism is really horrid!! Has been all mu life. I just thought since I was eating such small meals and exercising that I would lose more weight. However, I spoke to the nutritionist and he said that your body has an adjustment phase like -- this is what you are now going to eat and get used to it! So it tries to store fat because it thinks you are starving but once it gets the point that hello, this is what it is -- you will start losing weight. He said he hasn't seen anyone go through this and not lost weight unless they were eating Cookies, ice cream, and junk all day long...

It is just frustrating because I thought it would be more than it is.. But, hopefully my body will get the point SOOON! :thumbup:

I think we all wish it "were more" on occasion. It's natural, we've gone through a drastic surgery, we are eating minimal amounts, and while we're "happy" about the loss, we still want more. It's how we are. I think back to when I would order a medium pizza for myself and son. It would have 8 slices, the kiddo would eat 2-3 slices, and that left me with 5-6 slices. After eating my portion, I would think "I should of ordered a large." At least that's my thought process, and experience.

You may not be getting enough calories. If you're active, you're body maybe holding on to the weight. shake things up, or stay the course, and you'll see the scale move.

I honestly can't say I understand stalls or slow loss. I lost fast, and never had a true stall, but I've dieted enough in my life to know how frustrating it can be. Don't give up on yourself, and know the scale will move.

I can relate. My metabolism is also horrid. I had a BMI of about 31 at the time of surgery. I lost 21 pounds the first month and was thrilled. In my second month I have only lost 7 pounds, which is sort of frustrating considereing I'm eating about 600 calories a day and am very mindful of carbs and Protein intake. I know that if there were a famine, I would be the last one standing and would still be overweight.

I am only weighing once a week now, and it makes it more tolerable.

Sometimes I think that I will be the one person that this doesn't work for.

I feel like that all the time! After all -- all the diets failed for me and worked for others.. The gym worked others and not for me. So, I just pray to God that this is the tool that I need to ensure that I lose it and keep it off.:thumbup1:

I can relate. My metabolism is also horrid. I had a BMI of about 31 at the time of surgery. I lost 21 pounds the first month and was thrilled. In my second month I have only lost 7 pounds, which is sort of frustrating considereing I'm eating about 600 calories a day and am very mindful of carbs and Protein intake. I know that if there were a famine, I would be the last one standing and would still be overweight.

I am only weighing once a week now, and it makes it more tolerable.

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I also feel like I will be the ONLY one that won't lose weight with the sleeve. I have to remind myself that I will, but it takes time! :thumbup1:

God bless, y'all; you say everything I'm thinking.

Lillita, I'm a day behind you (June 30) and I've lost about the same amount since surgery. I don't have a scale, thank goodness. I went to the gym today and weighed in at 174. I subtracted a pound for my lightweight dress and that puts me exactly 10 lbs lighter than my pre-op weight. I had hoped it would be faster.

I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and live my life. I'm going to trust that it will come off eventually and try not to obsess about it.