Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have lose skin as you approached/reached goal weight?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you have lose skin as you approached/reached goal weight?

• My skin basically returned to normal.
    • Mild (a little) loose skin
    • Moderate (some) loose skin
    • Significant (a lot) loose skin

How long after weight loss does it take to for skin to shrink (to the extent that it will shrink)?

Thanks,

Mslynn

Thanks Jacqui,

That seems like a long time to have extra skin, but I guess it's worth the chance that it might shrink up!

Mslynn

:wave:

I know I am not waiting (on medical advice, they tell me it will never get better, sadly)

It really depends on where the extra skin is, and how bad it is. I for example, have a huge apron, I have to wear a girdle / compression type garment to hold it up off my pubic area and tops of my thighs. It is pretty well empty skin. If I was to wait a year or two, I am sure that it would shrink some. But it could never shrink back to what it should be.

After talking to my GP, and a couple of plastic surgeons, we decided that in my case, it was best not to wait.

Every situation is different, and there is no way to 100% predict what your skin will look like at the end of your weight loss journey.

My band doctor wants patients to wait 6 months after reaching goal weight before considering plastic surgery.

That being said, I believe I will need skin removal from my abdomen, but am willing to wait through his timeline. Maybe I'll get lucky and not need it, but as it currently stands, I will.

I've been told that lifing weights actually makes loose skin "appear" worse because as the muscle tones it becomes tighter and looks more streamlined (I'm not talking about building muscle) and that the loose skin drapes over it and looks even baggier.

Jacqui - I'm really identifying with your comment on not finding the same body.... I'm 42 and people continually mistake me for being in my late 20's (which I love) but I'm sure it's because every wrinkle I could ever have is filled with fat! I've also only got a few grays which are cammoflaged nicely with highlights! Anyway, although I'm delighted to be banded (8-17!) I'm very nervous about what I'm going to be left with. I know it will be an improvement health wise and really that's the most important thing but my vain side doesn't want people guessing my age at 50 next year when just last year they thought I was 28! It will be an interesting adventure don't you think?

In regards to plastic surgery I think I'm going to have to have a TT because I'm sure I'll be left with an empty apron that may improve some with time but it was never flat to begin with so it's certainly not going to make it there now. I've shared in other threads on this topic that I've always had difficulty getting pants to fit well and I think a TT would help that problem too. I would like to also have a boob lift because they've always been headed south - but it's not a priority.

Andy Liz

Psssh, I won't be waiting for a TT. I had this pouch since before kids. It has always been there, no matter how fit I was.

I reckon it will always be here. I know it will never shrink down to the way it was when I was 16 years old, flat, innocent and beautiful.

Full TT w/Lipo, Breast Augmentation w/lipo

Just had to reply to all you young ones. Your skin will probably snap back, but if you are like me and over 50, well, the luck has run out. Not only do you lose slower after menapause, but the skin has gravity and age to deal with. And lucky me, my Doc says I have what a lot of older bandsters have, my body is holding whatever I have left [about 25 pounds] in my abdomen. So as soon as I get some ambition to lose the rest and pay attention to what I put in my mouth and do some exercise, then maybe it will come off. i am still so happy I did the band, I am healthier and feel so much better than ever.

Just had to reply to all you young ones. Your skin will probably snap back, but if you are like me and over 50, well, the luck has run out. Not only do you lose slower after menapause, but the skin has gravity and age to deal with. And lucky me, my Doc says I have what a lot of older bandsters have, my body is holding whatever I have left [about 25 pounds] in my abdomen. So as soon as I get some ambition to lose the rest and pay attention to what I put in my mouth and do some exercise, then maybe it will come off. i am still so happy I did the band, I am healthier and feel so much better than ever.

Oh, how I wish that were true! :think

Genetics play a huge role in skin snaping back, as does how long one was overweight, how healthy they were / are and where they carried their weight. Once the skin is streched to the point of being paper thin (thinner in my case) it is rare that it will ever be close to what it was (that came from my GP and plastic surgeon)

Just had to reply to all you young ones. Your skin will probably snap back, but if you are like me and over 50, well, the luck has run out.

Actually, based on the stats from this poll, that unfortunately doesn't seem to be true. Only 18% of people so far have had little or no loose skin. :cry

Mslynn

OK, I can report back on this now that I'm at goal weight. I dont have any real loose skin to speak of. Definitely no PS in my future.

I found that as I got close to goal, EVERY tiny kilogram makes a difference and those litte pockets I thought would require Lipo did eventually go. Another 6 kg or so from here would definitely take care of the saddlebags, lol.

I think I've just been lucky in several respects. I've just got good resilient skin. I got banded before my BMI got past 35. I'm 5ft 10, so I carried my weight all over, I didnt have a big stomach at all, so no parts of me were overstretched. I've got a pretty good self image and self esteem and just really dont care about looking perfect, which is lucky, lol, since I dont.

After all of this, if I were to get anythign done it would be a breast lift. But even that I dont really care about since I"m not in the habit of getting around braless.

Lost a lot on Atkins back in the day, at 23 years old. Stomach and ass tightened back up flat with horrid stretch marks (electric red), they faded and then I regained it all.

This time, skin is tightening up a bit already, but not like it did the first time. Thankfully, I kept 12 inches off my waist by working out LAST TIME, so there is not soo much extra skin anyway.

It's all just front lower belly hanging a bit.

Just a roll that looks nasty, that's all I've got that is hanging "wrong" off my frame.

But I was blessed with 6'6" of frame, so I carried my morbid obesity better than most... Arms, legs, chest and back are tightening up just fine and look normal.