Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I thought I could do it and I did for a number of weeks; over a month, anyway. I kicked my PPI after several pretty rough moments and with the help of Zantac. I went along ok for most of the time but lately... good grief, I was sure getting absolutely SICK of being "hungry" and uncomfortable so I officially gave up the battle at least for the time being. The Zantac wasn't doing much good.

I think being on a PPI for a year might be a more reasonable time frame for us sleevers. I'm just over 5 months out, btw. So, I've been back on for almost a week now and all the symptoms are going away - yay! I know that it takes several days for the levels to be fully maximided in our blood but I think I'm just about there as the food obsessing that has been creeping in again is going away once again.

As many of you have stated, the benefits of being on a PPI seem to far outweigh the drawbacks so I'm banking on it at this point. Defeat admitted. To be continued...

I've been on PPI's since the late 90's. We all have choices to make. The reflux was torture for me, and waking up a few times choking on stomach acid and unable to get air for a minute or more will scare the bejeebers out of you.

Thank God for PPI's! I don't know how people with acid reflux in centuries or even decades past lived with it. (You KNOW there were some! Maybe they all died young and skinny.)

I'm sorry it didn't resolve. I just had my 1 year follow up with the fabulous Dr. M, and he agreed that it's not worth me risking any problems to kick the PPI. He gave me 3 refills to last the 9 months, and he told me to make sure I'm taking my calcium citrate (okay admittedly I totally suck at it, but I'm trying).

I'm just not willing to risk the hunger, discomfort and all the other things to force myself off something that has minimal long term effects (at least for my current healthy status).

I hope you can try again in the future.

My doctor does not want me to go back on them. He has checked my Calcium levels several different ways. My Calcium levels stink in spite of being diligent in taking my calcium citrate. Since I have the beginning of osteoporosis,

I am between a rock and a hard place.

I do take the tagament which helps. Some days I don't seem to have acid and some days it's horrible. It doesn't seem to be tied to what I eat.

the opposite has happened for me. I don't feel like eating and being off of them has sort of made me lose my appetite.I look at food and it looks like heartburn to me.

I was on the PPi over a year so I don't know if it's going to help anyone to wait a year rather than 6 months.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are a group of drugs whose main action is a pronounced and long-lasting reduction of gastric acid production. They are the most potent inhibitors of acid secretion available today. The group followed and has largely superseded another group of pharmaceuticals with similar effects, but different mode-of-action, called H2-receptor antagonists. These drugs are among the most widely-selling drugs in the world and are generally considered effective.[1] The vast majority of these drugs are benzimidazole derivatives; however, promising new research indicates that imidazopyridine derivatives may be a more effective means of treatment.[2] High dose or long-term use of PPI carry a possible increased risk of fractures.[3]

read more here: Proton-pump inhibitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia