Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

Today is my 2 month sleevaversary. I was thinking about how crazy and scary those days leading up to surgery were and I wanted to know what it was going to be like. So…. I figured I’d post for those waiting in the wings.

First, I have to say, I feel completely normal. I can eat about 5 –6 oz of food at a time and am totally satisfied by it. Its probably been about 3 weeks now since I haven’t felt “post op”. I was cold all the time and very low energy at first, but now I have great energy and work out with no problems. I went to a wedding last weekend and drank and played and ate little bits here and there, people commented on my weight loss but no one guessed I had surgery.

Now… I haven’t lost at an astronomical rate. As a matter of fact, if you search my threads you will see I have thrown a few pity parties for myself. But, its probably better for me to loose slowly (its funny that I think 22 lbs in 2 months is slow, I never could have done that before).

Even though I haven’t lost tremendous weight yet I will tell you that this surgery has changed my life. I used to eat compulsively. I felt so out of control and couldn’t stop. I was never ever full…. Always had room for just one more bite. I have been to therapy and tried to discern the deep seeded issues that have led to this condition. I have tried everything from hypnosis to Mexican diet pills smuggled across the border in my panties. I even took a summer and backpacked through the mountains of Colorado for the purpose of cutting my access to food. I felt as if I were broken….a glutton with an uncontrollable condition.

Turns out…. My stomach was just too big. It wasn’t repressed memories or self sabotage. I never knew until after surgery what if felt like to be satisfied. I am satisfied for hours after eating and no longer obsess about food. I figured I would have more psychological issues than I have had…. What with eliminating my coping skill (eating) and “forcing” myself to be successful despite my self-sabotage. Really, I feel better psychologically than I ever had. I eat, then I’m full, then I stop eating. I don’t have a “disorder” after all. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I have a real sense of well being… tummy isn’t crying for food, my blood sugar is stable, and I am no longer living in a state of depravation (perceived depravation, but depravation non the less).

I really really really want to loose more weight… but this feeling alone has made the surgery worth it.

Everyone’s experience is different and I know you are all scared and hopeful at the same time… its tough going in the beginning… but I would definitely do it again.

Good luck

Stacey

Edited by stcyt

Thanks so much for your post, I'm scheduled to have my surgery on Monday 6/28, so it's great to hear from someone who's been through it!

great post. thanks for sharing. it makes me feel hopeful that i could feel similar to you one day!

Slow and steady wins! I didn't lose drastic amounts of weight, but a year later, here I am at 120 lbs gone! Everyone comments on how "thin" I am now (still have a ways to go). Those months seem like they will take forever, but they fly by. I also find that I never mourned food the way some people do and now I just feel like I eat normally. So, I feel sort of like you do, that I just needed that smaller stomach. (Although, I do know I have boat load of issues!) Some people comment on how little I eat - but mostly it's just people who knew me before. I don't hide my surgery, but for those who do not know, I haven't had anyone ask if I had surgery. It's funny, nobody notices when you eat normally - haha.

glad to hear you're doing perfectly fine and that you are happy with your decision. this definitely helps other people decide and convince themselves that this is a very good decision. keep it up, you'll definitely have more sleevanniversaries. :001_wub:

Hey goodlife.... hows it going. I haven't posted in a while. Its good to see your still here.... and your tickers moving!!!!!!

You make so many wonderful points here and I am totally feeling the same way already at one month. It has changed my life and made me feel more in control, and food is no longer controlling ME. I used to think about my next meal as I was finishing one. Now I don't think about it til I feel hungry and then I just grab something appropriate and eat it instead of dreaming and thinking WHAT will taste the BEST??