Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm trying to re-think my exercise/activity goals. I feel the "experts" have caused me to become discouraged over the last couple of decades. We were told things like, "you must warm up before exercising, you must exercise at least 30 minutes with your heart rate at X or it was useless, you must stretch before you do whatever, etc. etc. etc." This week I started thinking about how much more active I was before I was so "educated." Do kids stop to think, "oh I can't run over to the other side of the yard because I haven't warmed up? I'm not planning to become a world class athlete. So I'm going to forget the expert advice. If I'm walking and I feel like running, I'm gonna, stretched or warmed up or not, and when I feel like not running, I'm gonna stop. I will take the stairs instead of the elevator at work. I will park farther from my destination. I will make any excuse to move more!!! Anyone else have any ideas to keep our bodes moving??? I have a desk job, so it's going to take some thought to add activity during my work day.

I hadn't even thought about that... but you are soooo right!! We get told so much stuff that who know what is right or wrong, and I agree with you... make it personal, what suits you and what you can do in your life style that is maintainable... I think the idea about taking the stairs etc is a really good idea because if we can fit in a little extra here and there it has to make a difference in the long term!

I try to vary my exercise so I don't get bored, I have a real low boredom threshold...lol :tongue_smilie:

I like my wii fit and do that once (maybe twice) a week, I will go to the gym in work (its free) but only if I have company as I get so bored otherwise, and I have started Zumba and that seems a lot of fun... one down fall is that my old groin strain has reared its ugly head and hurts like hell... hopefully it will be ok for Wed when the next Zumba class is on!!

Just gotta keep moving...lol

Yep, CLK, thanks. Doing pretty darn good. And coops, you're right on the money. Something else I do (since I live in Washington state, where it's really, really rare to have to pay for parking almost anywhere, but where parking lots are HUGE) is I have stopped doing what I call 'sharking,' where I circle endlessly trying to find just the right close-up parking spot.

A bit of a walk is nice, and I never have to hunt for spots anymore. Although, I'm thinking that a GPS device on my car, and a keychain locator might not be a bad idea, given the number of times I've had to hike all over BIG parking lots to find my car. Doing that is fine IF you don't have frozen food to worry about. And I have a very little car, and a propensity for forgetting where I parked it, despite my best efforts. Sad, but true. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by WildIris

Yep, CLK, thanks. Doing pretty darn good. And coops, you're right on the money. Something else I do (since I live in Washington state, where it's really, really rare to have to pay for parking almost anywhere, but where parking lots are HUGE) is I have stopped doing what I call 'sharking,' where I circle endlessly trying to find just the right close-up parking spot.

A bit of a walk is nice, and I never have to hunt for spots anymore. Although, I'm thinking that a GPS device on my car, and a keychain locator might not be a bad idea, given the number of times I've had to hike all over BIG parking lots to find my car. Doing that is fine IF you don't have frozen food to worry about. And I have a very little car, and a propensity for forgetting where I parked it, despite my best efforts. Sad, but true. :001_smile:

HAHAHAHAHA ... me toooooo ... glad I ain't the only one ... lol x

I think there's an iphone app that uses GPS to mark where you left your car.

I agree with the excersize issues....you're right. As kids, and younger adults even, we would hit the baseball/basketball/hockey surfaces without giving thought to stretching or warming up....BUT, our bodies were younger, and did not require the same tuning up as they do now...also, it's been a long time since we've excersized at this level, so there may be SOME logic behind SOME of the things we're being advised to do in prep for a workout HOWEVER, excersize should be fun, and varied. That's what keeps us interested and motivated.

I have NEVER worked out in a gym in my life, ever! Tomorrow, I start with my first session (12 booked) with a personal trainer. I need to learn "how" to excersize, and "how" to use the equipement ect. After those 12 sessions are done, I'm going to be on my own, and making my own program with some help....I'M TERRIFIED of this part of my journey, but I know I need to burn fat, build lean muscle, and increase my cardio....It's just.....scary. I've seen the results from RyansGirl (on this form) and she has ROCKED the gym...and the results are hard to ignore. I want some of that!!!

Cheri, I'm SOOOOOO GLAD to hear your stall has broken. It's such a relief eh? You know, one thing I've noticed (perhaps it's THE secret) is that when I up my calories, I loose more weight in the following week. Typically, I'm using VODKA, with Chrystal Lite (no cals) and on a Saturday night, will have 2 of these over the course of the evening. Then, like magic, the next 2 days, I'm down 3 pounds. Last Saturday, I repeated these 2 drinks, and today, I'm already down 4 pounds. Mind you, I'm having a hard time getting up to 600 calories without the vodka, but with the Vodka on the Saturday night, I clock in at about 750 calories (on this one day alone) and it seems to send the messege to my body to say "okay, we have calories, you can burn some fat". Weird eh? Oh well, I'm not advocating alcohol, but hey, it's working, FOR ME.

I'm so glad to see everyone is doing well, and are pleased with their sleeve. I'm VERY, VERY happy!! And seeing big time results in the measurements!!!

Be well!

Hello all...

I am still being a moaning minnie... the scales and tape measure are being mean again...lol... yes yet another couple of weeks with very little movement and I am soooo frustrated! Trying to be positive but I am finding it difficult!

I don't really understand why I am not losing 'better' when I am eating so little, moving a lot more, drinking plenty of Water, following the programme and I still have a fair few pounds to shed...

I could do with a NSV right now... xx

Hello all...

I am still being a moaning minnie... the scales and tape measure are being mean again...lol... yes yet another couple of weeks with very little movement and I am soooo frustrated! Trying to be positive but I am finding it difficult!

I don't really understand why I am not losing 'better' when I am eating so little, moving a lot more, drinking plenty of Water, following the programme and I still have a fair few pounds to shed...

I could do with a NSV right now... xx

Nearly 3 years since my original WLS (band) and I can tell you that I know it can be very frustrating. But it WILL come off. And usually when you least expect it. I.E. you go completely off plan and lose 5 lbs. Huh? But it's not the going off plan that caused it... but we tend to believe it and then slow our success in the long run. For whatever reason, when I am losing fat I tend to hold onto "fluid" and then for no reason that makes any sense to me the Fluid decides to leave after a few weeks and I have a nice weight drop... then the cycle starts again.

Just keep remembering how far you've come and how much weight you could have gained during the time you aren't losing. LOL

I'm stuck too coops but haven't even weighed myself yet. I have gones done about a size and a half, before surgery I was an 18-20, now I'm squeezing into 16's, but it is very slow for me as well. As Elisa just said think of the weight you've put on, I know I would in the 6 week holiday! I'm a bit scared of going to see the consultant next week cause there I'm gonna see what I really lost in 8 weeks. But I've already mentalized myself, if I haven't los as much as I expect (about 2 stone according to boots scales) I'm gonna try to not get that worked up about it. Usually in these cases I would get depressed and turn to food, but this time I won't be able to so that has to be a good thing! Are you counting calories on myfatsecret.com I am so if you are you can add me as a buddy

Hey,

yea, you are both right...thank you!! the 6 weeks school holidays would have been a gian around the ole waist!! That is a good positive to thnk about...

Good luck Chilo for next week.. let me know how it goes! I haven't tried the fatsecret thing... tried one and it was too fiddly for me and got on my nerves... what is this one like? Easy to use?

x

Hi everyone. We are at our 6 week point and still doing great. I have lost 60lbs and Kathy is down 33. We are starting to step up the exercise program, boy I have lost a lot of strength since the surgery, so I will just go slow and easy starting out. We both saw our Dr. this week and he is more than happy. We see the nurse at the 3 month point and Dr. again at 6 months. Weird to think what we will be at during that visit. I'm thinking realistically we could be at goal weight by then, wow. Well glad to read most of you are doing well! We are back to Washington weather up here, RAIN! Have a great one!!!

Glad to hear everyone is still doing well. I'm finally wrapping my head around the fact that this surgery is really, truly working. It's amazing to me. While it's not effortless, it almost feels that way, especially when I consider the extremes I used to go to just to lose a bit of weight (only to ultimately be sabotaged by endless, insatiable hunger).

I'm now 1/3 of the way to my goal - in just over nine weeks. Once I lose seven more pounds, I'll be saying goodbye to the 200s for the very last time. I'm down from a very snug size 20 to a very comfortable 16, and I'm pretty sure I'll be down another size over the course of this month. Or at least into the "snug" 16s, since I have a pile of 16s that fit great and a pile of 16s that give me muffin top. Stupid women's sizing. :)

I will say to the women that YES our monthly cycles suck heinously. I gained three pounds last month and it took until about two days after I was done to get back to my pre-period weight. This month I only gained 1.8 pounds and midway through I was back to normal. Now, at the end of my time (TMI, sorry), I'm already DOWN two pounds. I hope it gets to be less and less of an issue each month, though I'll admit the PMS and cravings still kick my butt. I hope for my husband's sake that I'm more human as time goes on, because I was a major beast this month, too.

I start exercising (real exercising, beyond my current long walks and our weekend hikes) next week and I'm very excited. I'm focusing on strength training and building muscle because I have no doubt the fat is going to burn away - I want to build up the muscle before heading into a super fat burning type workout. My arms are already showing a teeny bit of sag and there's no way I'm going to let them turn into batwings! I can see my chest is going to be an issue as time goes on and I'm pretty sure that if I opt for a tummy fix once I hit goal (I did have twins, after all, and that is already a trouble zone) I'll be adding in some lifting and possibly augmentation for my upper half. I think that for every pound I lose my face looks a tiny bit younger and my breasts age a year. Ugh.

Coops: You have had a heck of a time the entire time since surgery, haven't you? Your body just does not want to let go of your weight. Maybe tracking would help, though I admit it's a pain and I hardly do it myself anymore. I'd say fatsecret is fairly easy to use and I love that they let you count net carbs. None of them are exactly fun to use but it might help you out. I hope it gets easier for you and you get a surprise drop in weight soon.

La: You sound like you'd hit the exact same mindset as I've hit. I no longer freak out about every calorie or carb. I still watch what I eat, but I've found that the more calories I take in (never getting more than 800, though) the more consisently I lose. The less I focus on food, food, food, the less stressed I feel and the more weight I lose. There has to be a connection. If I start to head the wrong way on the scale I'll go back to basics, of course, but for now I'm just enjoying the ride.

Everyone, keep up the great work. I'm so glad I made the choice to get my sleeve!

~Cheri

Hey,

yea, you are both right...thank you!! the 6 weeks school holidays would have been a gian around the ole waist!! That is a good positive to thnk about...

Good luck Chilo for next week.. let me know how it goes! I haven't tried the fatsecret thing... tried one and it was too fiddly for me and got on my nerves... what is this one like? Easy to use?

x

Coops fatsecret.com is really easy to use and gives you a good general idea of what you're eating. I don't obsess about it though, I just want to get roughly about 900 cal in a day and round 50 gr Proteins. It may sound weird but I don't mind not losing that quickley because of the Hair loss, saggy skin and all that, I'm fine losing at a slower pace but keeping it off for good this time! I lost large amounts of weight very quickley in the past only to put it all back on and then some (a stone or 2 more!) For those of you who aren't familiar with "stone" it's a measurement used for bodyweight in the UK 2 stone is about 28 pounds`:)

Glad to hear everyone is still doing well. I'm finally wrapping my head around the fact that this surgery is really, truly working. It's amazing to me. While it's not effortless, it almost feels that way, especially when I consider the extremes I used to go to just to lose a bit of weight (only to ultimately be sabotaged by endless, insatiable hunger).

I'm now 1/3 of the way to my goal - in just over nine weeks. Once I lose seven more pounds, I'll be saying goodbye to the 200s for the very last time. I'm down from a very snug size 20 to a very comfortable 16, and I'm pretty sure I'll be down another size over the course of this month. Or at least into the "snug" 16s, since I have a pile of 16s that fit great and a pile of 16s that give me muffin top. Stupid women's sizing. :angry:

I will say to the women that YES our monthly cycles suck heinously. I gained three pounds last month and it took until about two days after I was done to get back to my pre-period weight. This month I only gained 1.8 pounds and midway through I was back to normal. Now, at the end of my time (TMI, sorry), I'm already DOWN two pounds. I hope it gets to be less and less of an issue each month, though I'll admit the PMS and cravings still kick my butt. I hope for my husband's sake that I'm more human as time goes on, because I was a major beast this month, too.

I start exercising (real exercising, beyond my current long walks and our weekend hikes) next week and I'm very excited. I'm focusing on strength training and building muscle because I have no doubt the fat is going to burn away - I want to build up the muscle before heading into a super fat burning type workout. My arms are already showing a teeny bit of sag and there's no way I'm going to let them turn into batwings! I can see my chest is going to be an issue as time goes on and I'm pretty sure that if I opt for a tummy fix once I hit goal (I did have twins, after all, and that is already a trouble zone) I'll be adding in some lifting and possibly augmentation for my upper half. I think that for every pound I lose my face looks a tiny bit younger and my breasts age a year. Ugh.

Coops: You have had a heck of a time the entire time since surgery, haven't you? Your body just does not want to let go of your weight. Maybe tracking would help, though I admit it's a pain and I hardly do it myself anymore. I'd say fatsecret is fairly easy to use and I love that they let you count net carbs. None of them are exactly fun to use but it might help you out. I hope it gets easier for you and you get a surprise drop in weight soon.

La: You sound like you'd hit the exact same mindset as I've hit. I no longer freak out about every calorie or carb. I still watch what I eat, but I've found that the more calories I take in (never getting more than 800, though) the more consisently I lose. The less I focus on food, food, food, the less stressed I feel and the more weight I lose. There has to be a connection. If I start to head the wrong way on the scale I'll go back to basics, of course, but for now I'm just enjoying the ride.

Everyone, keep up the great work. I'm so glad I made the choice to get my sleeve!

~Cheri

Hey Cheri,

I am closing in on twoderville so I understand your excitement about onederland!!! Congrats!!! I am so excited about being this close for the first time in 7 years. I cannot even imagine getting to onederland. It will be about 25 years for me since then. I am with you, with each pound lost my face looks better and my breasts look worse. Bat wings are already a problem, so if you find a solution, please let me know. I feel for you on your cycles...mine were always hellish when I had them, but I had a hyst 8 years ago and I have to say I am really glad to not be going thru that right now, too.

Isn't it so very cool that for the first time in our lives, we have a tool that will make maintenance finally work for us! Instead of watching the regain! I am so excited. :)

gg

Hey Cheri,

thanks... although the actual op and recovery was really smooth for me, I know what you are saying...I don't feel as if I have 'settled' completely as my weight loss is so inconsistent and therefore I have no pattern, if that makes sense... in the last 5 weeks I have lost 9lb, which is good, but that has been really sporadic... basically I lost the most weight in the first 3weeks and things have just really slowed down. I do tend to focus on the positive, but sometimes I am glad that I have this forum to have a vent and then move on!

I will have a look at tracking, see how it goes... might be worth a try but I have done it pre-sleeve and got wat toooooo obessed...lol.

I am wondering if I might not be eating enough... just have to keep doing what I am doing, and as long as it doesn't increase, I should, bascially, stop moaning...lol...:thumbdown: