Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elisa there is disagreement about straws. Surgeons tend to be conservative and say no straws, but patients use them anyway and say they are fine.

I'm so glad everyone got through their recent surgeries and are on the mend--I got sleeved the 14th and am feeling great! Now I need help getting creative with the puree phase of the post-op diet.

Cheers,

Donna

Donna, I haven't gotten to the pureed food stage, but I have some ideas with what I am going to do with it anyhow. I bought baby food, and I'm going to blend it with cooked vegetables that I saved when I was making broth pre-surgery. Also, if you have a juicer, you can do a lot with blends of vegetable and fruit juices as well as using the pulp for a little bulk (bonus points: you can put unflavored Protein mix into the juices you make). And vegetable purees to make endless Soups, pureed with whatever your favorite preparation of meat happens to be. I'm planning on making some of my favorite stews (including lentils and quinoa), and whizzing them up too.

Hello all! I hope everyone is doing well. It seems like forever since I last posted. The wedding was this past Saturday and was a great day. Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday. I am down 20 lbs since I started this journey although I can't update my ticker because I am on my husband's computer not mine. I had started a partial liquid diet earlier than I was supposed to in order to help the process along. I knew it would be difficult sticking to the full liquid for 2 weeks with all the craziness and I was right. However, I stayed away from sugar so I am hoping my liver is alright for the surgery. We also now have a 14 year old foster child who came to live with us at the beginning of the month. She is a joy and a blessing but certainly has kept us busy! Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and I can't wait to join the losers bench!:thumbup:

Had my surgery on the 7th. Have been off the pain pills since the 10th of July. the one thing that I am having a huge problem with is once i get all my 64 oz in I always end up with the hiccups really bad which results in me puking. Is anyone else having this problem? Cant get my Protein in hardly at all.

Why can't you take your protein WITH your water/fluids?

Had my surgery on the 7th. Have been off the pain pills since the 10th of July. the one thing that I am having a huge problem with is once i get all my 64 oz in I always end up with the hiccups really bad which results in me puking. Is anyone else having this problem? Cant get my Protein in hardly at all.

I haven't vomited, but I do get the hiccups (which are painful) if I drink too quickly or if I drink something too cold.

Try the Unjury chicken Soup protein (available online), and since you're either on full liquids or mushies, try picking protein packed options. I'm on full liquids and I gave myself permission to have more carbs during this phase so that I could get in my protein. I add unflavored Protein Powder (1/2 a packet since I don't like the taste) to my pureed Soups, pudding, yogurt, etc. Every little bit helps. Making shakes with skim milk will up your carbs but also your protein, which is more important at this point.

Good luck, hope it gets easier for you.

~Cheri

Oh, and good luck to the upcoming surgeries! Can't wait to hear about your experiences once you're sleeved.

~Cheri

I'm getting revised to a sleeve tomorrow! I'm so nervous that I can't sleep!

Thinking of you today. You are on your way!

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Traci and I just had gsv on July 26. This is 3 days out and I am feeling terrible from the gas pains. I can only get some cold cold Water down at this point and its very slow. The gas has taken over. I cant understand how some people get it and some people don't. My roommate in the hospital had no gas at all!! How can that be??? I am in such bad pain its unbelieveable. I've had 2 childen with no drugs so I know I have a high tolerance but cmon already! The icing on the cake is after 2 weeks preop on liquids and not eating a morsel for the last 3 days or so I have gained 11lbs????? What is up with that??? I know that it must be the gas or fluids they pumped into you but really??? My husband is getting me somekind of pain meds that are under the tongue and or suppositories because the liquid tylenol they gave me makes me sicker and I want to vomit. Is anyone else experiencing such bad gas? I just texted him to bring me home some gas-x too. I will do anything to get some relief. I can't even think about drinking anything right now other than water.

I had my gastric sleeve on 7-21-10 and am really looking for support to be successful with my new "tool." Now 58, I was a typical yo-yo dieter for the first 30 yrs. of my adulthood. When I hit age 50, I seemed to have developed an aversion to any sort of diet/wt. loss plan etc. Couldn't even get started in the right direction. I gained to 250+ lbs and was still gaining. The thought that next year would roll around and I would most likely be even heavier really scared me! That's when I got serious about considering weight loss surgery. I certainly had some misgivings just before surgery, thinking maybe I should have tried at least one more weight loss try--but the truth is, I know that would not have worked for me.

So, I'm thankfully 8 days out and getting the hang of the Protein supplements etc. I wasn't planning to keep my surgery a secret or anything, but I wasn't going to just blab to everyone about it. And when wt loss started to be apparent I would gradually share my surgery with acquaintances, in-laws etc. I don't want to be in a fishbowl with everyone waiting to see if I succeed or fail! How does everyone else handle this part? I guess I'm sort of private, and the thought that it would be so shameful if I can't get this weight off and keep it off with the help of surgery. It's hard to be confident when you've failed at so many weight loss attempts. So I'll try to work on the belief that "I can do it!"

How does one set up the weight loss tickler?

Traci, sorry to hear about all your gas pain difficulties. I know you're only 3 days post op, but walking does seem to help the body "get the gas moving out." So just walking within your house several times a day should be helpful. Good luck. hope this phase passes quickly. : )

Hi MaryKate,

I am 57 years old and can completely relate to your story. I had my sleeve last Tuesday and was questioning my decision up until the moment I was put under. I too sort of "gave up" at about 50 years old - decided that I was tired of always thinking about my weight and dieting/not dieting - but taking it out of the forefront of my thoughts didn't really work. Every holiday, every picture, every opportunity to see old friends was another reminder that I didn't like the way I looked or felt. I continued to gain until at my highest last year, I weighed 257.

Only my adult children and my sister know about the surgery. I considered sharing it with a co-worker that went with me to the first WLS seminar but didn't because I was afraid she'd tell others. This is a personal journey for me. We never talk about being overweight so why share this? And yes, of course, I'm scared that I may fail and then what? I'm a private person and don't really want the attention that I know it would cause if everyone at work knew about the surgery.

This is Day 10 and I'm feeling a lot better, more energy, almost back to normal.

MaryKate,

To set-up your weight loss ticker, just click on mine and it will take you to the site. Once yours is done, cut and paste it to your profile signature.

Tomorrow is the day. Can't believe it is finally here.

Been a very busy last couple weeks. Sounds like I’m a world traveler but this was not all that is was cracked up to be, was in Hawaii on business for two weeks and while there found out my brother was in the hospital in Las Vegas. I flew in to take care of him and a week later finally got him on a plane back to Seattle. I then drove his car back home and on the trip a deer ran out in front of the car. Car really got crunched and luckily I only got a face full of air bag! I got back Tuesday night very late and my pre-op was Wednesday morning. Today I’m at work picking up loose ends and then tomorrow will be at the hospital at 6am! My wife goes first and then me.

At the pre-op I asked the surgeon when does he put in the 6-pack abs and he didn’t miss a beat, said they will go in during the surgery but won’t get inflated until the 6 month point! Glad to have had work and all the other distractions in my life keeping me from dwelling on this too much. And really glad to be doing this with my best friend and love of my life!

So wish us luck tomorrow and for a peaceful night sleep tonight! Will let everyone know how it went when we get home. We should be out of the hospital on Sunday.

Best wishes Dickson to you and your wife on your journey to health! Thinking of you today (since for me the day of surgery post-op was the only day of pain...the rest of it has been smooth sailing).

Hope you are feeling 100% soon!

I really enjoyed reading your post Calibre! It's nice to know I'm not the only one with these "fifty-something" issues! This is the very first forum type thing I have ever participated in, so I'm trying to get the hang of all the aspects of this site.

Also, thanks for the tip about the "ticker!" I'm working on it now. My attemps to be mostly private initially somewhat backfired. My husband mentioned it to one of his sisters & now they are calling to check on me (which is sweet & yet ...) -- one put a note on my Facebook page saying "glad to hear your surgery went well." I gently removed it and then sent her a personal message thanking her for her thoughts. My husbands family are all thin -- so lucky!