Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading and reading and reading and found all the information and inspiration I needed to decide on getting "sleeved".

I'm in Mississauga, just outside of Toronto, Canada.

I'm just awaiting final confirmation for my surgery with Dr. Aceves! I'm hoping for the 15th of July...just waiting for my confirmation and a few questions to be answered.

I just celebrated my 13 year wedding anniversary with my husband, at am sad to say that at 5'7ish, I'm at my highest weight ever, 273lbs. How sad...2 children 8/10 years later. No energy to play, and so sad all the time about such a mess I've made of my body, health and life.

I've tried all the typical things..you know...but nothing worked long term. I had originally decided on the Band, but then, I happened upon this site, and my eyes were "opened" WIDE! I cannot believe this was available, the perfect TOOL to help me change my life! I'm soooo excited, and looking forward to starting my life, living with the real me!

I smoke, about 10 per day, and I know that I have to stop well before surgery. This is going to be my biggest challenge...not the pre op diet, or the food or changes afterward, but rather, this stupid dependancy on something so yukkie and unhealthy. BUT, I'm gonna try my hardest, and quit for good this time, while staying motivated to change my lifestyle! Yaya me!

I'll check back in once I know if my date is firm, I think there is another person here who is scheduled around the same time with Dr. Aceves.

LaSaJaTa in Mississauga

Welcome Mike - I'm glad to hear things went smoothly for you! Don't feel guilty about it, just feel blessed!

Mjeancha - Way to go losing so much weight on your own! I have lost the same 50 lbs. about 7 times in the last 9 years. I always get back to where I started, and sometimes even gain extra, so I know what you mean about just needing to get it all off and keep it off. I got some Protein powder to try as well (just grabbed some from GNC, and I don't even know the name of it), and it was horrible, too. I hope they're not all that bad. I was really hoping powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury would be good, since it seems like everyone talks about it being the best. Darn!

Hey Kathy -- I will try to send you a message. I'm terrible with this forum, but surely I can figure that much out. I, too, have heard lots about Dr. Almanza. It seems like he does a lot of surgeries, and lots of people love him and everyone else loves to hate him! I haven't read a whole lot about Dr. Rodriguez, except on the lap-band boards, and mostly it's been positive, but there are always going to be Debbie Downers who can find something bad about anyone. If you did your research, then I say go for it. I get so annoyed when someone says to me: "You're going to Mexico? That's like a suicide mission." I have researched this surgery a lot, and I feel comfortable with my decision as well. Since you'll be a week ahead of me, I hope we can be in contact and keep each other updated as well. I am just so excited! I'll send you my contact info.

LaSaJaTa - Welcome! Good luck with quitting smoking. I know you can do it! It will be lots of changes at once, but it will all be worth it. I, too, first thought I would get the band, but then changed to the sleeve after I heard about it. I really didn't know how many complications are associated with the band and how many people have to have them revised. Plus, the idea of going to get fills at quite a high price if I didn't travel back to Mexico to get them, was not a fun idea to me.

I'm really worried about giving up soda. I am a Diet Mountain Dew/Diet Pepsi addict, and I really am already mourning the idea that I will never be able to drink them again. Dustin and I have decided that we are going to cut them out in early July, even before we start our 2 week pre-op diet. I don't want to have horrible cravings for soda when I know it's not good for me. I'm practicing getting in enough Water, but still have been having 2 cans/day of soda (which is really cutting back for me. There have been days where I would drink WAY more). This might seem like a weird worry, with all the other huge changes, but it's one of my biggest worries.

How is everyone keeping from not going crazy?!?!?! This month might just kill me with the waiting!!!

A.Walker Giving up Diet Coke was the hardest thing I had to do! Knowing that I gave it up in May seriously the sooner the better. I started by switching to Diet Coke caffeine free I knew that part of it was the caffeine addiction. After I kicked the caffeine dropping the Diet Coke wasn't so hard. I stocked up on crystal light and I am now in love with caffeine free iced tea with lemon.

Edited by BeenThereWasThat

I noticed a few July folks posting on other threads and thought there might be enough of us to start our own thread (rather than hijacking whatever threads we find with a July surgery in them) - so I invite anyone with a July surgery to post their story here so we can support each other and share our experiences.

I'm C and my surgery is scheduled with Dr. Aceves on 15 July. I'm 29 and married to an Army man - we're currently stationed in Germany. We have two year old boy/girl twins. I'm choosing to self-pay because Tricare does not currently cover VSG and none of the overseas military facilities do the procedure at this time. To complicate matters, our next assignment is (as of right now) in Yerevan, Armenia. Getting this surgery in a remote location like Armenia isn't even a possibility. I'm not willing to wait more than two more years for this surgery.

I started my research in the summer of 2008 when my doctor diagnosed me with Type II (I developed gestational diabetes with my twin pregnancy and it stuck around afterward) and suggested the band. After much research I decided the sleeve best suits my needs.

I'm 5'1" (and some change), 240 pounds and I would be happy with any weight under 160 pounds. I haven't weighed less than that in more than ten years and I have been plus-sized since high school.

Please, hop in and share your own stories so I can share this journey with others instead of doing it alone! If I am successful my mom would like to have the surgery, too, but she's very nervous because she has never had surgery before.

~C

Hello clk!

Looks like we're both having our surgery the day, with Dr. Aceves! My husband is coming with me...and I'm so excited. Just got the pre-op diet, looks okay. I'm just confirming flights ect, and then I'll be all set!

I missed this thread until now. I am scheduled for surgery on July 3rd with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali! I fly in to San Diego on July 2nd and leave on the 6th. I am so excited I can hardly stand it, and I feel the same way most everyone else here does, at peace with my decision and not nervous at all. I have an 11 year old daughter and 10 year old twin boys, and I look forward to being able to play a game of soccor with them, instead of just watching.

I am scared stoopid! I'm not afraid of the surgery, or it not working, I'm afraid of not being able to live up to my part. I have the willpower of a gnat. My plan is to dive in and be a model patient and hope the rest of me says cool, lets do this. I think once I begin seeing results and getting that energy boost I keep hearing about will make all the difference.

Good luck to all of us taking this journey!

Hi everyone. I am 35yo, in Australia. I am getting my sleeve done on July 28th.

I know you all know the story - heavy all my life, have lost a lot of weight a few times and been great, then regained. I am now starting to have things go wrong - reflux, depression, cholesterol creeping up, also found out in preop testing that I have insulin resistance. I have to take control of this for good.

Plus, I honestly don't feel like I'm living. I'm single, and couldn't think of getting involved with anyone when I am so fat and feel so terrible. I hate going out with my friends because I look to terrible and my clothes don't fit. I feel I'm watching life, not living it. And I'm sick of food being the thing I plan my whole day around and think about all the time.

I'm a very intelligent person, and in many areas of my life I am a high achiever... can't wait to do that with my weight and health as well.

Ok - add me to this list... I just got approved (or found out) on June 16th and have a tenitive surgery date of July 12.

I live in central Florida and Dr. Radulescu is the lucky doctor to do the surgery. His office said that my hospital stay would be a minimum of 3 days and I have a 2 week liquid diet. How does that match the rest of you? I have not read all 5 pages of this post yet ? so some of you might have already listed this.

Lou

Hi all,

I'm having my surgery July 8th! I currently have a lap band, had it since Feb 2008. It has been prolapsed since last October when my son had cancer. My surgeon thought that unfilling it would make it go back, but nope not happening. So, I found myself a new surgeon and am getting this thing out of me and getting a sleeve. I cannot wait. I was down a total of 60 pounds with my band, so I have no complaints about it, until it stopped working, but then I gained 40 back, and I want to get that plus another 30 or so off.

good luck to all of you July sleevers, Can't wait to see your success stories!

Patti

My surgery is also going to be on JULY 15TH!!! Boy, there sure are a lot of July 15th sleevers (lol)!!!! i'll be flying to san antonio,tx and then travelling across the border to Dr. Alvarez. i'm getting so excited, i can't wait!!

Has anyone heard about the Protein shakes/powder that is sold at bariatricEating.com? are they any good? i'm interested in them mainly because they are for people who have had WLS

Heres a story for all you July sleevers, I was sleeved on June 4th & i have been using this site as my knowledge box & inspiration so its time for me to pay back some info.

I weighed 246 lbs at my highest weight i started dieting about a month before my op was due & i managed to lose a total of 26 lbs. so on op day i weighed 220LBS. since the surgery i have lost a further 17LBS which is a pound a day:lol0: so I now weigh in at 203 LBS but thats not really what i wanted to tell you.

I have never been to hospital before dont even like the sight of blood i was was terrified about having this op, but some how the day arrived & i was gowned up waiting for my surgery i was definately anxious because the nurse came in with some pills for me to swallow & i was alot calmer after that:001_tongue:

I was wheeled into surgery & dont remember anymore about it , I woke up & they told me it had gone well no probs i got back to my ward & after a while i was up & walking & sipping Water im not sure why but i couldnt sleep the rest of the night so i decided i would sit down sip Water & walk i did that all night the nurses keeping their eye on me but i was ok, because of all the walking i didnt have any gas pain or any other pain come to that.

i slept a bit the next day & felt really good i had planned for the worst expecting pain unable to drink etc but i could always drink something & no pain that i was expecting & no pain killers.

the next day i felt good was up & about as normal the surgeon did his rounds & said i could go home he was happy !! but not as happy as me i wasnt bothered if i didnt see another needle again lol.

i got home & was careful not to pull any stitches( as us men are not as good at doing pain as you girls) so was moving around carefully but i walked out with my dog 3 x 1/2 hour for the next couple of days all was well i was on Clear liquids Protein drinks etc & they were going down ok.

I was borderline for diabetes type 2 & had high blood pressure & was on medication for it so my blood sugar was checked & within a couple of days of surgery it was back to normal so no more diabetic medication for me :confused1:

The doc checked my BP that was back to normal also so no more BP medication:thumbup:

So i stuck to what the doc said about my diet & walked / cycled when i could & it has all worked for me with no probs.

I had planned to have extra time off work as i work overseas but felt so good that i asked if i could go back they said i could but need a Heperon injection for the long haul flight i was going to take to keep the blood thin & stop clotting.

when i got back to work everybody was amazed that i had lost 40 LBS plus & wanted to know how i did it so i told them i kept on my diet & just dont want to eat as much any more for some reason:thumbup1:

I forgot to say earlier that i no longer am hungry but just aware that i need to eat..

The reason i wrote this is for anybody thinking about this surgery dont think any more just do it!! I hope all those who are getting it done have as easy a ride as i have & wish you all the best of Luck.

thanks to this site & everybody who contributes for all the information that is available here it has been a brilliant source of information & inspiration to me.

I have a friend & collegue who is going to get sleeved on July 2nd he knows who he is I wish him a safe comfortable journey & see you on the other side!!

Thanks very much

from a winning loser.

Don..

I just read a post from my friend Don. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have seen him after his sleeve and I want to tell all the up coming July Sleevers that he looks great. He is back to work and doing good. We are both collegues working over seas here in Thailand, which I live here.

He is really doing well and the surgery was definitely a success. I am scheduled to have my surgery done on 2-July-10 and I have been really nervous about it, but after seeing Don and how good he is doing, I am ready to get this done. He has definitely been an inspiration to me. So all of us July Sleevers I hope our journey is as good as Don's and wish everyone all the best on their sleeves.

By the way, my highest weight was 295 lbs, now I have lost 12 lbs today. It is hard because I just didn't really know bad I was addicted to food. :confused1: